PDA

View Full Version : Dump yellow PUMP GOLD

buffalobilljr
09-07-2007, 12:37 PM
Anyone who truly understands BISON TRADITION knows that even though yellow is in our school song no REAL BISON ever put on the green and yellow but what they did was PROUDLY DON THE GREEN AND GOLD!!!!!!!! Just ask DR. DENIS ISROW he has forgotten more about BISON TRADITION than most of us will ever know!!!!!!!

WYOBISONMAN
09-07-2007, 01:01 PM
Damn....I have to agree with Bill on this one. He is indeed correct!:nod:

Herd Mentality
09-07-2007, 01:51 PM
Well, "Goldenrod" maybe...

Bison bison
09-07-2007, 03:00 PM
Puce?

56BISON73
09-07-2007, 05:00 PM
Anyone who truly understands BISON TRADITION knows that even though yellow is in our school song no REAL BISON ever put on the green and yellow but what they did was PROUDLY DON THE GREEN AND GOLD!!!!!!!! Just ask DR. DENIS ISROW he has forgotten more about BISON TRADITION than most of us will ever know!!!!!!!

Just had a conversation with Izzy and Bill Keifer about that yesterday. Keifer is that you???? PL

G-city Bison Fan
09-07-2007, 08:04 PM

If the school color is gold then change the damn song, and change the color. Tradition is one thing, a small group of people making up their own tradition and passing it off as school tradition is something else.

Green and Gold sounds better, its more marketable, but it is not tradition.

buffalobilljr
09-07-2007, 11:06 PM
Just had a conversation with Izzy and Bill Keifer about that yesterday. Keifer is that you???? PL
I think it is spelled Kiefer!!!! Just like Pat is not Patt!!!

buffalobilljr
09-07-2007, 11:08 PM
If the school color is gold then change the damn song, and change the color. Tradition is one thing, a small group of people making up their own tradition and passing it off as school tradition is something else.

I tried to explain to you DR. "IZZY" ISROW has forgotten more about tradition that most of us will ever KNOW!!!!!!

99Bison
09-07-2007, 11:38 PM

It actually is tradition dating back 10's of years (30-40?). These posters are not making these things up.

The "official" colors as documented by the school include yellow since 18xx/19xx.

BigDeal
09-08-2007, 12:12 AM
I'll give you "golden yellow" because it is in the song, but that's as close as it comes.

buffalobilljr
09-08-2007, 02:15 AM
I'll give you "golden yellow" because it is in the song, but that's as close as it comes.If I am not mistaken und originally had pink in the actual color scheme. That may be popular folklore, but I have heard it enough to where it may have some validity. Yellow is the color of calf scours and the line down the back of a coward, neither of which do we desire to be associated with. Dump yellow and PUMP GOLD!!!!!!!!

Bisonguy
09-08-2007, 02:35 AM
If I am not mistaken und originally had pink in the actual color scheme. That may be popular folklore, but I have heard it enough to where it may have some validity. Yellow is the color of calf scours and the line down the back of a coward, neither of which do we desire to be associated with. Dump yellow and PUMP GOLD!!!!!!!!

Green and Pink are stil the official school colors of UND.

http://www.universityrelations.und.edu/resources/graphicstandards.html

Colors of the University and Use of Colors
The official colors of the University are GREEN and PINK. However, this color combination is rarely employed outside of official or “ceremonial” applications. In most contemporary applications, green, white, and black (depending on budget and design) are used as the UND colors. When color selections permit, orange (PMS 165) is preferred for the flame in the logo, but it is not necessary to use that if ink colors being used on a printed piece do not allow for its use

BisonVifte
09-08-2007, 02:48 AM
PMS 123 is considered yellow, but it definetly has a more of a golden yellow look. In the PMS color charts there are many shades of yellow, they just don't give each shade a name. So NDSU is PMS 123 yellow.

buffalobilljr
09-08-2007, 02:10 PM
PMS 123 is considered yellow, but it definetly has a more of a golden yellow look. In the PMS color charts there are many shades of yellow, they just don't give each shade a name. So NDSU is PMS 123 yellow.
Paints and Polymers 308 is on another website!!!!!!

BisonVifte
09-08-2007, 04:56 PM
It seemed relevant since this thread is arguing the school color.

buffalobilljr
09-08-2007, 05:02 PM
It seemed relevant since this thread is arguing the school color.

The school colors are green and yellow, but THE BISON DON THE GREEN AND GOLD...........................

sambini
09-09-2007, 12:57 PM
Gold sounds a lot better than yellow.

G-city Bison Fan
09-09-2007, 08:41 PM
I would be fine with this whole idea if people weren't trying to change tradition. Yellow is the color, people refer to it in passing as gold because it does sound better and is more marketable.

But once you start trying to actually change tradition for marketing purposes, thats where I draw the line.

Just leave everything alone, call the color what you want to call it and if it isn't broke don't try to fix it.

pmp6nl
09-10-2007, 05:26 AM
The arguments for using gold make no sense and have no backing.

Green and gold is not tradition, using those colors was by some students in the 70s & 80s (primarily). North Dakota Agricultural College's colors were Yellow and Green, North Dakota State College's colors were Yellow and Green and North Dakota State University's colors are Yellow and Green (if you are not familiar of the history of our institution: those were the names of the university before it became known as NDSU).

Alumni from eras of the 1900s, 10s, 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 90s, and 2000s primarily know and use the colors Yellow and Green. This (in general) has been shown at meetings with alumni. Just because a few people were misled or believed something to be true, does not mean it was so.

In fact I have found much proof that our school colors are and have always officially and commonly used as Yellow and Green.

According to data unearthed by the NDSU History and Traditions Council and the NDSU archives:

...the official colors of North Dakota State University are Green and Yellow. The official colors were originally ratified on April 9th 1909.

This record can be found in the NDSU Faculty Minute Book: “Professor Keene moved that green, number 65 and yellow number 140 of the color card be made the official colors of the institution. Seconded by Prof, Weeks, Motion prevailed.”

I can have a copy made from the original book that this was noted in if you desire.

These colors have been continuously upheld by the students and university itself through the years, evidence has been procured from the archives.

---

You say it is better for marketing?... How, why? Do you have any evidence for this conclusion?

color of calf scours and the line down the back of a coward According to who?

The school colors are green and yellow, but THE BISON DON THE GREEN AND GOLD........................... According to who and why? I could have sworn it was Yellow and Green: http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&KEY=&ATCLID=68605

Would someone please explain to me why you seem to think gold sounds better, in my mind it doesn’t.

If you want to look at tradition look at 2 of our school songs: “The Yellow and the Green” and “On Bison”

Ho! a cheer for Green and Yellow,
Up with Yellow and the Green;
They’re the shades that deck our prairies
Far and wide with glorious sheen,
Fields of waving green in springtime,
Golden yellow in the fall—
How the great high-arching heaven
Looks and laughs upon it all!

Here in autumn throng the nations,
Just to gather in the spoil,
Throng on freight-cars from the cities,
Some to feast and some to toil,
Then the yellow grain flows eastward
And the yellow gold flows back;
Barren cities boast their plenty
And the prairies know no lack.

Hushed upon the boundless prairies
Is the bison’s thund’ring tread,
And the red man passes with him
On his spoilers’ bounty fed.
But the Norse, the Celt and Saxon
With their herd increase, and find
Mid these fields of green and yellow
Plenty e’en for all mankind.

Ho! a cheer for Green and Yellow,
Up with Yellow and the Green;
They’re the shades that deck our prairies
Far and wide with glorious sheen,
Fields of waving green in springtime,
Golden yellow in the fall—
How the great high-arching heaven
Looks and laughs upon it all!

On Bison carry the fight,
State is backing you.
Green and yellow colors bright,
To them we will be true.
State Bison!
Fight them right back to the goal,
A victory for our name.
On You Bison, Fight You Bison,
Stampede and win this game.

Yellow was used 10 times in our songs.

I believe On Bison says "Green and yellow colors bright,
To them we will be true." I know they are "just words" but how many times have you sung those words?

---

I believe there are a lot of successful entities out there that use the color yellow:

John Deere (Bison Colors!), Best Buy, McDonald’s, the Walt Disney Company, BP, Caterpillar, Advil, Yellow Book, Yellow Cab, DHL, Sprint Nextel, Hertz, YRC Worldwide, the Green Bay Packers, the University of Oregon, and many many others.

Do any of these organizations have problems advertising because of their colors… I don’t think so. Are these weak companies… no. In fact many of them are fortune 500 companies, several are fortune 100 companies, and several are some of the largest companies in the world.

While I do know that everything cannot be related to colors, the argument that yellow is so terrible does not fly with me, especially with the use of marketing. I realize all of these organizations have other colors also, but so do we.

---

So you know there is a large student effort for the use of Yellow as opposed to gold, there is even a facebook group. The student’s today will not be pushed around for no reason. We know what the school colors are and why. We are not living in the past and supporting tradition for no reason at all, we are supporting it because we know the reason of the tradition and why it has always been. We will not simply drop yellow because some people don’t like it or whatever.

“Every age, every culture, every custom and tradition has its own character, its own weakness and its own strength, its beauties and cruelties; it accepts certain sufferings as matters of course, puts up patiently with certain evils. Human life is reduced to real suffering, to hell, only when two ages, two cultures and religions overlap.”
- Hermann Hesse

Gothmog
09-10-2007, 05:24 PM
The arguments for using gold make no sense and have no backing.

Green and gold is not tradition, using those colors was by some students in the 70s & 80s (primarily). North Dakota Agricultural College's colors were Yellow and Green, North Dakota State College's colors were Yellow and Green and North Dakota State University's colors are Yellow and Green (if you are not familiar of the history of our institution: those were the names of the university before it became known as NDSU).

I believe NDSU was never officially known as "North Dakota State College." Although some people may have used that name unofficially, the official name was NDAC until it was changed to NDSU in 1960.

pmp6nl
09-10-2007, 07:44 PM
I believe that I was told by the NDSU archivist that there was a name change to North Dakota State College.

roadwarrior
09-10-2007, 08:28 PM
When the name was changed from NDAC to NDSU in 1960, it took a constitutional amendment, since the NDAC name was in there. That leads me to believe those are the only two names used.

Bison bison
09-10-2007, 08:31 PM
Official title: NDAC.

Unofficial: North Dakota State College

...that in March of 1922, the Weekly Spectrum printed ballots for students to vote to change the name of the college. The results of the March 31, 1922 showed that: “Overwhelming majority desires name of North Dakota State College. Final count gives 437 for State College. By the end of the 1920s, that everything, except official college business had North Dakota State or North Dakota State College on it – student publications, letterhead, pennants, mugs, team uniforms, cheer leading uniforms, etc.

http://www.ndbison.com/htc/didyouknow.php

roadwarrior
09-10-2007, 08:34 PM
I guess that was a couple of years before my time.

Bison bison
09-10-2007, 08:35 PM
I had no idea either-the magic of Google.