PDA

View Full Version : After the moratorium

NDSU1980
09-01-2007, 02:26 AM
What's everyone's perspective on what the NCAA is going change when the moratorium is up in four years? Obviously something has to change, to simply stop schools from moving up for four years and then change nothing will open the flood gates.

Here's my thinking, based on absolutely nothing: I'd say change the transition period from 5 years to 6, and then do something about the scholarships. The scholarships are the one thing that will make the presidents sit up and take notice. It costs them money. Maybe up some of the schollies and put in a minimum. If any school wants to run with the big dogs, be prepared to pay up.

I say FBS, maximum of 85 minimum of 80, FCS, maximum of 68, minimum of 63, D2, maximum of 42, minimum of 36. There has been way to much of this move up a division, then push for lower scholarship numbers. Look at what the D3 schools did to D2 when they moved up. If you can't pay, move to a level you can support.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. BTW, Southwest Minnesota State (D2) got blown out last night by Wisconsin Eau Claire (D3) something like 42 to 16. NSIC only allows 30 FB schollies. Again, if you want to run with the big dogs, be prepared to pay to play.

Herd
09-01-2007, 02:33 AM
Lots of good stuff in your post. I don't think that DII can be set at 36 scholly minimum, however. At a minimum of 36, half the schools would need to drop to NAIA or DIII.

Bisonguy
09-01-2007, 02:39 AM
Lots of good stuff in your post. I don't think that DII can be set at 36 scholly minimum, however. At a minimum of 36, half the schools would need to drop to NAIA or DIII.

Same issue would arise with FCS with a minimum above 40-45.

I believe NDSU's transition period might look pretty easy compared to what will arise from any restructuring. Possibly 13 years for ALL sports, like what basketball had when NDSU made the move.

NDSU1980
09-01-2007, 02:49 AM

That's sorta the idea. To expound, I say let them have the transition period to get to the minimum. If you can't make it, you stay in transition......no playoffs. If after a couple more years, you get pushed back to the next lower level.

To be honest with you, I just threw out numbers and maybe it's a little too hard, but I want numbers that will make you competitive, not something so you can brag about your classification and don't have the muscle to back it up. JMHO

Something clearly has to be done when the moratorium ends. There was even talk about the DAC moving up to D2. If that isn't proof something drastic needs to be done, I don't what is.

Herd
09-01-2007, 03:35 PM
That's sorta the idea. To expound, I say let them have the transition period to get to the minimum. If you can't make it, you stay in transition......no playoffs. If after a couple more years, you get pushed back to the next lower level.

To be honest with you, I just threw out numbers and maybe it's a little too hard, but I want numbers that will make you competitive, not something so you can brag about your classification and don't have the muscle to back it up. JMHO

Something clearly has to be done when the moratorium ends. There was even talk about the DAC moving up to D2. If that isn't proof something drastic needs to be done, I don't what is.

You don't know what you are asking. Most of these DII's absolutely cannot get to 36, cannot get to 36! Not in 4 years or 40. If the DII minimum is set at 36, you have just created DIIII or a DII upper and lower division. That's not what college football needs either is more divisions.

Setting a maxium and a minimum for DII is needed, I agree, but the minimum has to be much lower than 36.

Herd
09-01-2007, 03:45 PM
Everyone has an opinion but I don't think it really changes much.

My proposal for after the moratorium:

Name
DI 85: Min 66 Max 85
DI 65: Min 37 Max 65
DI NS: 0
DII: Min 0 Max 36
DIII: 0

With the FCS being DI, I would like to see the gap close a little on the maximum side (up 2) as these two group continue to play frequently.

Bisonguy
09-01-2007, 09:16 PM
Everyone has an opinion but I don't think it really changes much.

My proposal for after the moratorium:

Name
DI 85: Min 66 Max 85
DI 65: Min 37 Max 65
DI NS: 0
DII: Min 0 Max 36
DIII: 0

With the FCS being DI, I would like to see the gap close a little on the maximum side (up 2) as these two group continue to play frequently.

DI FBS already requires a minimum two year rolling average of 90% of the maximum allowed financial aid (i.e. 76.5 grants per year) for football. (NCAA Bylaw 20.9.7.4a)