http://www.cyclonehockey.com/schedule.php

Oct. 19 & 20 North Dakota State University 7:30 pm

did I miss something

Bisonguy
08-30-2007, 12:45 AM
Club team.

exdaryl3rd
09-03-2007, 02:10 PM
Yeah, Iowa state had to cut baseball to stay title IX compliant, so I doubt they'd be adding a hockey team.

sambini
09-04-2007, 12:57 AM
They also have a club team.

exdaryl3rd
09-05-2007, 03:13 PM
I knew a couple guys who played on the club team when I was in school, but never went to a game, does anyone know what the quality of hockey at these games is like?

imabison
09-05-2007, 03:38 PM
I knew a couple guys who played on the club team when I was in school, but never went to a game, does anyone know what the quality of hockey at these games is like?
Typical sent to a hockey game, and a fight broke out:) :) I know alot of people that were involved with the Club Hockey team years ago. Might have to walk over and see a game one of these days.

BisonSig
09-07-2007, 09:35 PM
Not that I am a true judge of hockey talent, but in about 89 to 90 time period the Club team looked about like a North Dakota high school team.

The Spuds would have beat them handily, North, South or the Grand Forks schools might have had a harder time.

lakesbison
09-07-2007, 09:39 PM
We Need Hockey Dammit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Argh!!

We Already Have Dean Blais And An Arena Ready To Go!!!!!!

buffalobilljr
09-11-2007, 01:46 PM
We Need Hockey Dammit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Argh!!

We Already Have Dean Blais And An Arena Ready To Go!!!!!!
The GREAT STATE OF NORTH DAKOTA already has a world class hockey program we don't need or can we efficiently afford another. That thought process of world class programs should be considered for all of the Dvision One Programs.

lakesbison
09-11-2007, 02:04 PM
HAHA>. SHUT UP.

Dean Blais, 2 years with 12-15 CANADIAN/MINNEAPOLIS KIDS and a NEW ARENA AKA. ACE BRANDT WOULD put us right there.

tcbison
09-11-2007, 03:22 PM
The problem I see with hockey is what conference would NDSU play in. I am sure the WCHA wouldn't let NDSU in and the conference that Bemidji is in wouldn't be worth it.

lakesbison
09-11-2007, 06:05 PM
Independant.

That way you can schedule Minnesota, UNDicks, Duluth, Wisconsin, St Cloud during their OFF week in the WCHA schedule.

Play Mankato, Bemidji State, Omaha, Ferris State, RPI, Boston College, Boston U etc etc.

THEN WHEN WCHA Splits into WEST/EAST here you go!!

West- UNDicks, Colorado, Denver, NDSU, Bemdiji, Alaska

East- Mich Tech, Wisc, Minnesota, Mankato, Duluth, St Cloud

AKBison
09-11-2007, 06:34 PM
I don't know anymore, I used to be all for Bison Hockey but with the success at Basketball I am not so sure anymore. What would give the Univeristy more exposure, a Frozen four appearance in Hockey or a win in the Big Dance. You can't even compare the two. I love College Hockey but I am just not sure if it fits into our long term goals of getting into the MVC. I say we stick the MO-State and UNI plan. Basketball, not Football or Hockey gets us into the MVC.

sambini
09-11-2007, 07:54 PM
I don't know anymore, I used to be all for Bison Hockey but with the success at Basketball I am not so sure anymore. What would give the Univeristy more exposure, a Frozen four appearance in Hockey or a win in the Big Dance. You can't even compare the two. I love College Hockey but I am just not sure if it fits into our long term goals of getting into the MVC. I say we stick the MO-State and UNI plan. Basketball, not Football or Hockey gets us into the MVC.+++++++Well said AKBison+++

westriver bison
09-12-2007, 04:27 AM
What is this thing you call hoocky?

RodentiaX
09-12-2007, 03:19 PM
Play as an independent? It's hard to fill a schedule as an independent. If NDSU were to add hockey, the CHA would welcome them with open arms. It would be the only conference available unless any of the other conferences choose to expand, which is hard to predict.

sambini
09-12-2007, 03:56 PM
What is this thing you call hoocky?
+++++++++++++++++

roadwarrior
09-12-2007, 05:50 PM
This discussion is about as useful as discussing where NDSU will put it's new medical school building on campus.

sambini
09-12-2007, 08:00 PM
Its not even on the radar.

TheDoctor
09-13-2007, 05:34 AM
It's not on the radar is right. Ace Brandt approached GT and JC a year ago and asked if they wanted in and they said possibly for a place to play bball but NOT for hockey. Bottom line is "they" have a hockey program and "we" have a basketball program. We don't have a mens hockey program and they don't have a mens basketball program. SO, lets leave it that way. they support 1 sport and 1 sport only. Fortunately for us noone further west of North Dakota and east of Michigan or south of Minnesota cares about their sport. Our two major sports, RULE the college world. ;)

bisoneer
09-19-2007, 12:41 AM
Screw hockey, lets concentrate on football and basketball and shoot for NCAA titles and appearances, way more fun. In hockey if your team is better than thiers you can still lose the game if they have a "hot goalie" aka U of M vs. Holy Cross at GF 2 yrs. ago, and on top of that all the Siox fans were cheerin for HC. Lets keep building up what we have and stay up on the Siox that way!!!!!!

buffalobilljr
09-19-2007, 02:00 AM
This discussion is about as useful as discussing where NDSU will put it's new medical school building on campus.Road you are finally starting to realize that we don't need two of everything, i am mightily impressed bcause as you know you are my hero as well as for many others! Hail the Road!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jeffdaryl3rd
09-19-2007, 03:04 AM
Screw hockey, lets concentrate on football and basketball and shoot for NCAA titles and appearances, way more fun. In hockey if your team is better than thiers you can still lose the game if they have a "hot goalie" aka U of M vs. Holy Cross at GF 2 yrs. ago, and on top of that all the Siox fans were cheerin for HC. Lets keep building up what we have and stay up on the Siox that way!!!!!!

Not to mention we already have sports that are sponsored by the Summit League that are underfunded, no need to add hockey, which is one of the most expensive sports out there and would require an arena. No need to divert attention from football and basketball either.

sambini
09-19-2007, 03:39 AM
Road you are finally starting to realize that we don't need two of everything, i am mightily impressed bcause as you know you are my hero as well as for many others! Hail the Road!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Well put buffaloblljr.....

56BISON73
09-26-2007, 03:04 AM
Way back in 70s there was some talk about hockey. Now even though I enjoy the sport I have never understood why people think NDSU should have a hockey team. PL

lakesbison
09-26-2007, 06:09 AM
with the NEW ARENA and DEAN BLAIS.. dont be surprised if it HAPPENS in next 3 years boys!!!

Bison Dan
09-26-2007, 12:30 PM
with the NEW ARENA and DEAN BLAIS.. dont be surprised if it HAPPENS in next 3 years boys!!!

You're out of touch lakes - Look at und they should be raking in the cash from hockey but the womens team eats up all their profits. If it wasn't for Title IX I'd say NDSU would look at it but never now. You can bank on it!

NDFAN2
09-26-2007, 02:03 PM
You're out of touch lakes - Look at und they should be raking in the cash from hockey but the womens team eats up all their profits. If it wasn't for Title IX I'd say NDSU would look at it but never now. You can bank on it!

Bison Dan - You are exactly right - The problem with NDSU having a D1 hockey program is that they would need to have a Women's program as well. With UND, or even Minnesota or UM-Duluth, etc, the womens programs are a huge money loser, no matter how successful the mens program is.

Therefore, let NDSU have it's club hockey team, and lets move on. IMHO

westriver bison
09-26-2007, 04:52 PM
with the NEW ARENA and DEAN BLAIS.. dont be surprised if it HAPPENS in next 3 years boys!!!:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I'll be surprised and very upset if it happens in the next 30 years.

lakesbison
09-26-2007, 05:53 PM
well NDSU's reach into MINNESOTA popularitywise has grown bigtime with football into Detroit Lakes, Fergus Falls, Alexandria.. with HOCKEY you could get MORE of a stronghold on those areas AND BRAINERD and ST CLOUD to hear about NDSU.

besides, there's more hockey fans than you think out there.

RodentiaX
09-26-2007, 07:24 PM
There's already five D-I hockey programs in Minnesota, that's a tight market. I don't think NDSU hockey would help break into the St. Cloud market, given that St. Cloud has its own D-I team. Tapping into the Detroit Lakes market is a possibility. But the primary obstacles still exist, and they are pretty significant: 1) Money. It's expensive, and right now, NDSU can put that money to other uses. 2) Conference affiliation. If NDSU were to add hockey, the only available conference would be the CHA, which might not be all that appealing. (And I say that as someone who follows Bemidji State, a member of the CHA).

bisonmike2
09-27-2007, 04:36 PM
Hockey is the one thing NDSU cannot compete with UND on. And they shouldn't want to. They are too established, too rich of tradition, and too close to Fargo. Hockey isn't a big commodity in Fargo and they people who follow it are likely already Sioux fans. Add to it the new competition from the USHL franchise and I don't see NDSU ever getting a hockey program. Stick with our bread and butter. Football and basketball. And as successful and popular our football team is our basketball team could be 10 times as big. If we make the big dance our stock will skyrocket and I can't imagine what would happen if we ever won a tournament game. Pandemonium!

RodentiaX
09-27-2007, 05:14 PM
I suppose if NDSU had money to burn down the road, hcokey would be a possibility, it's not for me to say. But how about support for club teams? Club teams may not be NCAA, but they are still intercollegiate athletics. It might be interesting to use this "Other sports" area to keep people informed of scores and schedules for NDSU's club sports. Maybe get some members of the club teams to post here.

jeffdaryl3rd
09-28-2007, 03:51 AM
I'd agree that if NDSU is ever staring at excess money that it can put to no other use then we should definitely consider adding hockey. But the odds of that ever happening are small. Right now we have so many things we could spend money on in terms of facilities and maximizing scholarship and recruiting/travel budgets that adding hockey is probably item #205 on our to do list.

Hammersmith
09-28-2007, 04:08 AM
I'd agree that if NDSU is ever staring at excess money that it can put to no other use then we should definitely consider adding hockey. But the odds of that ever happening are small. Right now we have so many things we could spend money on in terms of facilities and maximizing scholarship and recruiting/travel budgets that adding hockey is probably item #205 on our to do list.

Yep. Every five to ten years, NDSU will be faced with a choice of where to invest in athletics. Until the alternative to hockey is less desirable than hockey, it'll be put on the back burner.

Hockey or DI: DI
Hockey or powerhouse FCS football: football
Hockey or strong mid-major baskeball: basketball
Hockey or FBS: FBS?
Hockey or ???: ?

We've got 10-15 years before hockey has a serious chance at NDSU. Even then...who knows?

jeffdaryl3rd
09-28-2007, 06:28 AM
Even though there are certainly hockey fans in Fargo and there is a certain level of interest in NDSU hockey at more than a club level, I just don't feel like there is a big clamor for hockey from NDSU fans as a whole. I would support a team and it might be kind of cool, but I'm just not real excited about the idea.

BisonSig
10-01-2007, 09:28 PM
If enough people with money want Hockey at NDSU, they will need to fund men's and women's hockey. If they come carrying a large enough amount of cash, I am sure NDSU would listen.

Just like when Englested built that arena UND listened very closely.

IowaBisonToo
10-03-2007, 05:24 PM
For arguments sake, Lakes, let's say NDSU starts a DI hockey team. Here are a bunch of questions for you to answer as to how it will be feasable.
1. What woman's sport will be added?
2. How big an arena is the Brandt deal? 3000??? Not big enough to make money needed to compete well.
3. Where are you going to get the fans? Will you sell out 12-14 home dates?
4. Will fans enjoy the competition in the CHA because if you want any hope of getting into the playoffs you would be shooting yourself in the foot if you were an independant and no other conference is going to take you.
5. How much money is this going to set the program back? Huge travel costs in the CHA. Not a very big arena. Etc.

You know, SCSU has an avg attendance of ~5500 fans, is a DII school with a fairly small budget and they have issues. Put the pipe down Lakes. As much as you want hockey at NDSU, the school would be far better off going FBS and sinking the money there over hockey. Stay a fan of the Gophers or better yet, root for the perennial underdog -- St Cloud State (my first alma mater). In either case, give up the dream of DI hockey at NDSU -- at least for the foreseeable future.

AKBison
10-03-2007, 06:11 PM
Oddly enough, as far as conference's go, right now would be a great time to add Hockey. Wayne State has folded their program which leaves four teams in the CHA. The three school out east will likely find homes in conferences out there. Bemidji will likely get an invite to the WCHA. THe one hang up is that this would put them at 11 members which is no good for scheduling. If we were to add Hockey NDSU would be the logical choice for #12.

I love College Hockey and I have never been to a Sioux game. I can't bring myself to do it. Now, even with all that said, now is not the time for NDSU Hockey. We have got a lot of other fish to fry right now.

-New Softball Stadium & complex
-New football practice fields at Dac. Stadium location
-Indoor Practice facilty
-Make Craig Bohl the highest paid in coach in FCS and North Dakota
-New Soccer/Lacrosse facilty at old football practice fields
-The whole BSA upgrade
-FargoDome Expansion for Basketball
-FargoDome Expansion for Football
-Adding Womens Equestrian as a sport
-Adding Womens Lacrosse as a sport
-Move up to FBS
-Find new conference home
-Expand Basketball arena at the Dome to 10K

Did I miss anything? I'm sure I did. The good thing about Hockey is that if it is done right it can be a revenue sport. I am all for Hockey once we get the above things accomplished and find a way around having to add a womens Hockey revenue eating program.

tcbison
10-03-2007, 06:52 PM
I am pretty sure the WCHA has already rejected Bemidji State. There were articles about it this summer.

AKBison
10-03-2007, 07:45 PM
I am pretty sure the WCHA has already rejected Bemidji State. There were articles about it this summer.

They did reject them this summer. Things have changed though. Unless the WCHA let BSU in then they will likely fold the program which would be a travesty. They have an awesome hockey tradition. The WCHA will take in BSU not because it is the best fit for them but because it is the best thing for NCAA Hockey.

RodentiaX
10-03-2007, 09:11 PM
Much will depend on whether a new hockey facility gets built in Bemidji. I understand there is some contraversy over it in Bemidji, but the threat of no more college hockey in Bemidji may tip the scales. If it gets built, I think Bemidji State would be added to the WCHA.

IowaBisonToo
10-04-2007, 05:20 AM
Much will depend on whether a new hockey facility gets built in Bemidji. I understand there is some contraversy over it in Bemidji, but the threat of no more college hockey in Bemidji may tip the scales. If it gets built, I think Bemidji State would be added to the WCHA.

It probably doesn't hurt either that Bollinger is the AD at BSU - I think that's what he does. Still, I find it extremely hard to believe that the WCHA will expand but I've wrong wrong before -- once.;)

sambini
10-04-2007, 10:07 AM
It probably doesn't hurt either that Bollinger is the AD at BSU - I think that's what he does. Still, I find it extremely hard to believe that the WCHA will expand but I've wrong wrong before -- once.;)Rob Bollinger is in charge of BSU's Development Foundation. He will more than likely play a prominent role in the future of intercollegiate athletics and/or fundraising in the Great State of North Dakota!!!!++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +

TCBisonFan
03-28-2008, 06:11 PM
They should get a team for sure!

They would be competitive at a high level in Divison 1 hockey alot faster then any of you think. Minnesota is filled with D1 hockey players and it would just give them another spot close to home to come play. I honestly think that within five years of opening a hockey program they would be a legit top 15 team year in and year out if you got the right coaches in to recruit. There are not many out there and the school is a great draw the rivalry that would start with UND would be amazing in hockey! Lets get this going already!

tcbison
03-28-2008, 06:37 PM
They should get a team for sure!

They would be competitive at a high level in Divison 1 hockey alot faster then any of you think. Minnesota is filled with D1 hockey players and it would just give them another spot close to home to come play. I honestly think that within five years of opening a hockey program they would be a legit top 15 team year in and year out if you got the right coaches in to recruit. There are not many out there and the school is a great draw the rivalry that would start with UND would be amazing in hockey! Lets get this going already!

And what conference would NDSU play in? I doubt that NDSU can make it into the WCHA. That leaves the CHA. NDSU doesn't have anything in common with those schools. I think it boils down to conference, money, and Title IX. All three of these factors point to no hockey at NDSU.

OrygunBison
03-28-2008, 06:56 PM
What's hockey?

lakesbison
03-28-2008, 06:58 PM
Lets Play Hockey!!!

Urban Plains Center & Dean Blais = CHA Dominance!!!

Then Into Wcha 5 Years !!

There is about 3000 fans that drive up to stink forks now to watch hockey, We can have them here and more of the Moorhead, Detroit Lakes, Fergus Falls hockey fans to come here!

sambini
03-28-2008, 07:53 PM
The Fargo Force is our team+++

DORMIE
03-28-2008, 09:33 PM
Lakes, I know you've been to every possible athletic event in the area recently. How many Sioux Women's games have you been to, or any Women's games anywhere. That is the sinking ship in Collegiate Hockey. Just think over 25% of the teams in DI hockey got into the playoffs and about half of them are DII & DIII. Have to be a pretty piss poor team not to get in.

lakesbison
03-28-2008, 09:38 PM
Womens equestrion.= that answer. (you couldnt PAY me to watch women's hockey)

yes, the NCAA hockey field is a joke, but you win the CHA and you're in!

UTH
03-28-2008, 11:07 PM
For what it's worth, I'm a hockey fan. I would have problems getting excited about Bison hockey. I think that a Bison hockey program would have problems competing with Fargo Force hockey and Bison Football... and don't forget about Bison men's and women's basketball. Like Sambini said, "We have the Fargo Force." I have the Bismarck Bobcats in town.

Look at what it's done to the town where 'we have hockey'.

Herd
03-29-2008, 03:45 AM
I'd rather see Baseball fully funded, than an investment in Hockey. That's where I'm at. We have a great baseball facility, and if we actually spent some money on scholly's who knows.

KC Bison
03-29-2008, 04:18 PM
Don't even talk about the Bison being a dominating force in football in the future in IAA or moving to IA if huge amounts of funding and attention are drawn away for two hockey teams. If Bison basketball is ever going to make a mark in Division I, we can never have hockey competing for time and dollars in Fargo in the winter. But, if you want weak NDSU football and basketball, I guess that the choice some of you want because that's what it will be.

cbline
03-31-2008, 06:33 PM
Don't even talk about the Bison being a dominating force in football in the future in IAA or moving to IA if huge amounts of funding and attention are drawn away for two hockey teams. If Bison basketball is ever going to make a mark in Division I, we can never have hockey competing for time and dollars in Fargo in the winter. But, if you want weak NDSU football and basketball, I guess that the choice some of you want because that's what it will be.

Amen, KC Bison! Put the resources into established programs that have the greatest possibility for positive results and exposure. I believe that hockey would become the albatross around the necks of the other sports at NDSU.

bisonmike2
03-31-2008, 07:13 PM
Somebody needs to post the "Jeez, not this sh*t again!" picture.

UTH
03-31-2008, 11:07 PM
Somebody needs to post the "Jeez, not this sh*t again!" picture.

Ask and you shall receive...

Aaah, jeez.
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Ohcrapnotthisagainbabies.jpg
Not this crap again.

aces1180
04-01-2008, 12:59 AM
I think NDSU should add men's and women's underwater basket weaving.

UTH
04-01-2008, 01:36 AM
I think NDSU should add men's and women's underwater basket weaving.

It looks like a thread hijacking is in full effect here, so I will participate.:D

I propose that the administration do nothing to disband the Saddle and Sirloin - just drop the social aspect of the club and form a men's (and women's - Title IX compliancehttp://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Smilies/SmiliesThumbsupa.gif)... [Buzkashi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buzkashi)]

Booyah!!!
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/afghanistanbuzkashinationalsporthor.jpg

*love the soviet tanker's helmetshttp://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Smilies/19.gif

sambini
04-01-2008, 04:12 AM
Ask and you shall receive...

Aaah, jeez.
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Ohcrapnotthisagainbabies.jpg
Not this crap again.++++++++++++++++++++++++++

bisonmike2
04-01-2008, 04:43 PM
It looks like a thread hijacking is in full effect here, so I will participate.:D

I propose that the administration do nothing to disband the Saddle and Sirloin - just drop the social aspect of the club and form a men's (and women's - Title IX compliancehttp://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Smilies/SmiliesThumbsupa.gif)... [Buzkashi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buzkashi)]

Booyah!!!
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/afghanistanbuzkashinationalsporthor.jpg

*love the soviet tanker's helmetshttp://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Smilies/19.gif

Is that goat ball? Man I love that game! NDSU should start a men's and womens team for that sport. Of course we'd all be bitching in 5 years about how the Sheppard Arena isn't fit for D1 Goat Ball and that we need to start planning a larger Arena to fit the needs of the university.:D

TransAmBison
04-01-2008, 05:38 PM
Wow, I'm getting cultured more and more each day. This game is crazy. Wow. All I can say is wow.

Bison101
04-14-2008, 10:08 PM
well NDSU's reach into MINNESOTA popularitywise has grown bigtime with football into Detroit Lakes, Fergus Falls, Alexandria.. with HOCKEY you could get MORE of a stronghold on those areas AND BRAINERD and ST CLOUD to hear about NDSU.

besides, there's more hockey fans than you think out there.

But there's more football fans.

lakesbison
10-27-2008, 06:17 PM
Thursday Is The Start To Ndsu Hockey!!

See You All At Opening Night At The Up Center!!! Go Bison!!!

roadwarrior
10-27-2008, 07:14 PM
Yeah right.

bisonmike2
10-28-2008, 12:54 AM
Thursday Is The Start To Ndsu Hockey!!

See You All At Opening Night At The Up Center!!! Go Bison!!!

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb27/joejitsu_photos/Not_this_shit_again.jpg
/obligitory