PDA

View Full Version : Tailgating 101

TAILG8R
08-29-2007, 07:22 PM
Not sure how I ended up putting this in the Bison Commons board. Should be in 'Our House' - Damn tab browsing, to much going on at one time.

I thought it would be nice to have a sticky thread here to explain how the tailgating scene works at the Fargodome. Maybe post the actual 'rules of engagement from the University along with some dos and don'ts from the experienced tailgaters.

I am one of those fans that have not tailgating for two reasons. I don't have a set group of people to tailgate with and don't know what exactly to expect upon arriving.

So if you would please add your two cents. The only article I came across on gobison.com was from 2004. Linky (http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=74508&SPID=695&SPSID=11850)

Bisonguy
08-29-2007, 08:56 PM
Thread has been moved to 'Our House', and is now a sticky.

Let's get a list going for all guests and new tailgaters!!

TAILG8R
08-29-2007, 09:40 PM
Thanks Bisonguy!

Bisonguy
08-29-2007, 09:44 PM
I'll try my best to start a list:

Tailgating Rules
Tailgating is permitted in all parking lots of the Fargodome
Alcoholic beverages are permitted ONLY in the west lot of the Fargodome
Any minors in the west lot must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian
Tailgating lots open up 5 hours prior to kickoff, and are supposed to close 30 minutes prior to kickoff
Tailgating is permitted for two hours after the game, or until 11 PM, whichever comes first (this is from a 2005 pregame writeup, cannnot remember if it changed)
Charcoal or gas grills are permitted. Charcoal must be extinguished before kickoff, and there are supposedly containers to dispose of the ashes.
ALL Alcoholic Beverages must be in plastic cups. NO EXCEPTIONS
NO KEGS OR PARTYBALLS
No glass bottles or beverage containers (see above^^)
Each parking spot is $3, purchase as many spots as you will using if you need more space for seating, etc.

What do I need to tailgate?

Most important, is YOU!
Food and beverages- if you're unable to bring a grill, you could always have some food that doesn't require grilling- subs, chips and dip, etc....However, you can usually make some friends and throw your food on their grill, especially if you're willing to share a little.....
Trash bags- bring lots, somebody will be asking if you have any extra, guaranteed
Disposable plates, napkins/paper towels, plastic utensils and PLASTIC CUPS!!- you need something to eat all that great food with, and you don't want to be cleaning dishes after the game when you get home. Did I mention PLASTIC CUPS? Along with trashbags, it's nearly a lock that somebody will be asking you for some.
Team Gear- you don't want to look like the black sheep of the tailgate, so make sure to show your Bison Pride! Get those PLASTIC CUPS in yellow or green, make sure you're all decked out in your Bison clothing, get some green or yellow napkins, fly a Bison flag by your vehicle, the possibilites are endless. I've even heard rumors that at least one Bison Tailgate Crew has their own custom tailgating flags!
OPTIONAL- Chairs and a table- it's nice to kick back and relax for a few hours before the game.
OPTIONAL- Canopy, AKA EZ-UP- a great way to provide shade in case it's a little warm out, shelter you and your crew from rain, and if you have one with sidewalls, a good way to stay a little warmer later in the season.
OPTIONAL- Games, etc- a football or any of the 'tossing-style' yard games (well, lawn darts are probably a bad idea) help pass the time if you're not busy grilling, eating, drinking, or talking with other Bison fans.

Etiquette
While there are no reserved spots, there are some groups that have somewhat established 'territories'. Personally, I believe that if one of these groups doesn't have someone 'holding' their area within 15 minutes, it's fair game to anyone. Typically, everyone spreads out fairly well that is there when the lots open.
Pick up after yourself. That's what the garbage bags are for. At one game last year, there were a few 12 packs of bottles dumped onto the lot. The last thing someone wants after a Bison victory is a flat tire on the way home.
Have fun and make some friends- bringing extra food/beverage is always a great idea!

Bisonguy
08-29-2007, 09:50 PM
Not sure how I ended up putting this in the Bison Commons board. Should be in 'Our House' - Damn tab browsing, to much going on at one time.

I thought it would be nice to have a sticky thread here to explain how the tailgating scene works at the Fargodome. Maybe post the actual 'rules of engagement from the University along with some dos and don'ts from the experienced tailgaters.

I am one of those fans that have not tailgating for two reasons. I don't have a set group of people to tailgate with and don't know what exactly to expect upon arriving.

So if you would please add your two cents. The only article I came across on gobison.com was from 2004. Linky (http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=74508&SPID=695&SPSID=11850)

You're more than welcome to join our tailgate for the season. Myself, SDBison, TranAmBison, BisonSig, Bisonfan1, appearances from roadwarrior and WYOBISONMAN, along with others I'm forgetting can provide a crash course in tailgating for anyone else that's interested, as well.

Shoot any of us a PM and we can provide you with details to contact us.

roadwarrior
08-29-2007, 09:52 PM
I usually don't have a "base group" in the tailgating lot. What I find is the most fun is to roam around the lots while holding that plastic cup.

sambini
08-30-2007, 01:51 AM
Looking for a beer Road?

Rockbear99
08-30-2007, 02:19 AM
went to the last two games last year and got hooked on it. I met Goofy (RIP) and a bunch of other great people. people were very friedly and willing to share a beer or some food. See ya guys and gals at the SFA game.

bisongirl
08-30-2007, 02:24 AM
Everyone feel free to stop by the Bison Illustrated tent and say hi!

imabison
08-30-2007, 07:42 PM
Everyone feel free to stop by the Bison Illustrated tent and say hi!
Every needs to stop and tell them what a wonderful job they are doing!!!!!!

Yo
08-30-2007, 11:59 PM
This might be the wrong place to post my question, if so sorry. The schedule shows a 6:00 start for next Sat. but with TV coverage it has been moved to 6:35 so...What time does the tailgating lot open 1:00 or 1:30??? That 30 minutes could mean losing your normal spot or worse yet getting gipped out of 30 minutes of tailgating.

Bisonguy
08-31-2007, 12:06 AM
This might be the wrong place to post my question, if so sorry. The schedule shows a 6:00 start for next Sat. but with TV coverage it has been moved to 6:35 so...What time does the tailgating lot open 1:00 or 1:30??? That 30 minutes could mean losing your normal spot or worse yet getting gipped out of 30 minutes of tailgating.

Better safe than sorry. :nod:

I expect one of two scenarios:
- The lot opens at 1:00
-The lot opens at 1:30, and due to many people looking at the 6:00 start time on their tickets, the lines for tailgating ends up being longer than prior to the Valpo game.

Yo
08-31-2007, 12:26 AM
Better safe than sorry. :nod:

I expect one of two scenarios:
- The lot opens at 1:00
-The lot opens at 1:30, and due to many people looking at the 6:00 start time on their tickets, the lines for tailgating ends up being longer than prior to the Valpo game.

My thinking exactly. I need to give a heads up to the tailgating crew.

56BISON73
08-31-2007, 07:48 PM
Are you doing ribs for the opener???? If you are how many racks do you need-want? PL

Bisonguy
08-31-2007, 08:13 PM
Are you doing ribs for the opener???? If you are how many racks do you need-want? PL

I'll be doing ribs for the opener, probably six racks if they're smaller. I par-cook them before tailgating. That way the ribs are ready to go about 30 minutes to an hour after the lots open, and I can focus on other things besides griling.

You're already taking care of the pizza party, I'll take care of the ribs. :)

Yo
09-01-2007, 12:06 AM
I'll be doing ribs for the opener, probably six racks if they're smaller. I par-cook them before tailgating. That way the ribs are ready to go about 30 minutes to an hour after the lots open, and I can focus on other things besides griling.

You're already taking care of the pizza party, I'll take care of the ribs. :)

I don't know where you get your ribs, but a suggestion is Spring Prairie Meats in Hawley. They are a Hutterite colony about half way between Hawley & Glyndon. Their ribs are $3.00/lb. and they are excellent. They also have chicken, turkey & beef at VERY reasonable prices. Their number is 218-498-2766. For what it is worth.

sambini
09-04-2007, 03:59 AM
Prime Cut Meats on south university...

Hammersmith
09-04-2007, 04:24 AM
Prime Cut Meats on south university...

Has anyone tried John & Wayne Meats in front of Home Depot on 45th St? Quality? Prices? Selection?

Tatanka
09-04-2007, 10:55 AM
Quality: good. Prices: a bit high but this ain't a Wal-Mart steak... Selection: Had what I was looking for!

sambini
09-05-2007, 05:31 AM
Thor said today polishs in Goofys memory and pork tenderloin...

MN_BISON
09-06-2007, 04:37 AM
Thor said today polishs in Goofys memory and pork tenderloin...

In your words, ++++++++++++++

TheDoctor
09-06-2007, 06:29 AM
In your words, ++++++++++++++

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D! ;)

sambini
09-08-2007, 03:06 AM
Thors new rig will be there. The bar and plasma tv its SWEET+++

sambini
09-11-2007, 04:19 AM
What did you guys think of Thors new BISON TAILGATING TRUCK with the bar and plasma tv?

Bisonguy
09-11-2007, 04:26 AM
What did you guys think of Thors new BISON TAILGATING TRUCK with the bar and plasma tv?

I think I'll take a closer look when it isn't raining.....

sambini
09-11-2007, 04:31 AM
Great place to go when it is rainig.

TransAmBison
09-11-2007, 04:38 AM
Sambini, that new ride rocked! It looked top notch from top to bottom. The only way to improve it would to be have a reserved stool for yours truly!

sambini
09-11-2007, 10:07 PM
I'll see what we can do...

go_bison
10-11-2007, 09:33 PM
I am looking at putting some Bison logos on a trailer for tailgating. Is there any legality issues on putting Bison logos and my company's logo on it?

Also, Sambini, I loved the new ride.

BisonBryce
10-11-2007, 10:02 PM
I thought the new truck with plasma TV and bar was terrific!!!
++++

However I'm still not sure what that guy made me drink. ;)

Bisonguy
10-11-2007, 10:10 PM
I am looking at putting some Bison logos on a trailer for tailgating. Is there any legality issues on putting Bison logos and my company's logo on it?

I think you're encouraged to contact NDSU about using the logos (media relations?). I believe they don't charge or raise a fuss, they just want to know what you're doing. Basically, just rubber-stamping it for you so you'll be OK down the road.

UTH
10-11-2007, 10:25 PM

It never hurts to contact media relations, especially if it makes you feel safer. Having said that, I don't think you should worry too much about getting into trouble for putting stickers / logos on your vehicle. If it looks like you and your company are supporting NDSU, I'm sure media relations would be very happy to receive your support.

However, if it can feasably come across that you officially represent NDSU, along with the idea that an argument can be made that NDSU is officially endorsing your company, you will very likely have problems. If this happens to be the case, don't be too surprised to get a nastygram from the above-mentioned media relations telling you to knock it off.

bisongirl
10-11-2007, 10:53 PM
Contact Troy G in marketing @ NDSU for permissions and the rules.

aces1180
10-12-2007, 01:15 AM

Call Troy G. in the athletic department...He'll have the answer.