PDA

View Full Version : 2nd fastest man in the world!

semobison
08-27-2007, 12:07 AM
Derrick Atkins, 3 time NAIA champion at Dickinson State placed 2nd at the World Championships in Osaka, Japan in the 100 Meters yesterday. Tyson Gay of the US won the gold, world record holder Astaffa Powell of Jamaica took the bronze. Pretty amazing story considering he was running in places like Spearfish, Dickinson, Minot, and Bismarck two years ago!

mn-bison
08-27-2007, 01:32 AM
Very amazing... How did a guy with speed like that end up at Dickinson State? Did he get a sprinting coach @ Dickinson and things started to click???

semobison
08-27-2007, 02:08 AM
Derrick is from the Bahaman Islands. Dickinson State has quite a few foreign athletes in track, and girls vollyball. They have won national championships in both sports. Quite a few guys on their recent track teams have been from the Bahamas. How they end up in western ND is crazy! Good recuiting I guess!

Bisonguy
08-27-2007, 02:38 AM
Very cool!

Thanks for the insight.:nod:

brewcityboy
08-28-2007, 08:25 PM
Great performance by Derrick! He actually moved to Gainsville,Fl to train under U of Florida sprint coach Mike Holloway. A good coach, great weather to train in, and sponsorship by Adidas can definatley help a athlete reach their potential.

sambini
08-29-2007, 04:29 AM
Thanks for your insight brewcityguy. Welcome to Bisonville.

buffalobilljr
09-11-2007, 01:50 PM
Derrick is from the Bahaman Islands. Dickinson State has quite a few foreign athletes in track, and girls vollyball. They have won national championships in both sports. Quite a few guys on their recent track teams have been from the Bahamas. How they end up in western ND is crazy! Good recuiting I guess!
Not necessarily a negative reflection, but I would guess NAIA, Dickinson State, or both have different admission guidelines than Division One.

sambini
09-11-2007, 07:53 PM
They sure do Wildbilljr.