PDA

View Full Version : I got in a fight with my boss re: Bison football.

TheBisonator
08-26-2007, 04:59 PM
I walked out on the spot and quit.

The good news is that I put in my 2-week notice a while ago, and this was my 2nd to last day of work. I also have another job lined up for next week.

Here's the story: We were talking about the district supervisor (my boss's boss) and how he played for UND, and I off-handedly said, "You know what's funny, it makes me think of recently I've seen someone on an online discussion (DaveK) who thinks UND football is more popular than NDSU football in the state."

And then he says, "Of course it is, by far!!" I just jump back in astonishment, thinking this guy is living in 2002 still. Now I must warn you, I've argued with this guy before on another topic. The thing about him is that he's what we call "half-educated". In that he gets a little information on a topic, and then skews that out to himself thinking he has full-blown knowledge on the topic.

OK, so what happens is that to refute his argument, I first tell him that NDSU football got twice as many fans per game than UND football last year (16,377 to 8,827). I even stated all the exact attendance histories of the past 5 years of both teams, since I've memorized all these facts. He asks me where I got those numbers, and I say, the NCAA website and both school's media guides, of course. He then says "Well, that's not official statistics." (I'm like WTF, NCAA isn't official statistics?? What planet are you living on??")

So he's claiming that all the attendance counts are bogus, then I ask him why HE thinks UND football is more popular, and he says "They have a bigger radio network, and have more games on TV." I say wrong again, and tell him about NDSU's radio network that covers 10 stations in 2 states and how we have 5 games on TV this year. He then claims to me that it isn't true, and then brushes it aside by saying, "Well, that's only because NDSU got into the Summit League this year." (Not because they established a new broadcast division of their marketing department, or anything like that.)

(The thing about this guy is that if you tell him any facts for your side in an argument, he'll just either say that they're false, or unreliable.)

He then goes on to tell me that not only there are more UND sports fans in Fargo than Bison sports fans, but that there are more UND alumni in Fargo than NDSU alumni!! I tell him that's a big fat lie, because I've seen the stats on both school's alumni websites, and he brushes it off at being unreliable data again. What, where would YOU like the data to come from, you idiot?? From God himself??

He says there are a lot more fans outstate that cheer for UND football. He says the only place in the state where there are Bison fans is in Fargo. I tell him that the part about only fans in Fargo is a big fat BS, and the part about outstate fans might have been true several years ago, but that's changed recently, and that he obviously has never been to a game, because there countless people from outstate that are at Bison games.

He then digs up this BS nugget: He then says to me that there are a lot of NDSU fans (AND STUDENTS!!!) who decide NOT to go to NDSU games, and instead go to the UND game instead. (It's actually the reverse that's true) That was the lie that ended it all. I told him about the Saturday last November where UND had 5,000 to their playoff game while we had over 19,000 to our game against SDSU that same day. He just ignores it.

He doesn't even get his stats right: He tells me that last year was the first year ever that NDSU broke 13,000 in average attendance. I tell him that we actually broke 13,000 in 2004, and that there were years in the 80's and 90's where we had over 14,000 average, but again, just like a mule. Statistical proof means nothing to him.

Why did he think there were more UND alumni in Fargo than NDSU alumni?? He THOUGHT he saw an article in the Forum years ago that said that. Meanwhile, I'm cranking out statistics from the NCAA, press releases, data websites, and all he can come up with is conjecture.

I hate that guy so much. In another argument we had, he told me that SDSU would badly beat the Bison this year. He also told me that UND would beat the Bison. He also told me if the old NCC was back together this year, NDSU would barely finish in the middle of the conference.

This guy didn't go to UND or NDSU either. Obviously this guy has some kind of rod up his ass against NDSU. I couldn't stand being around him anymore. I've already got another job I'm starting. I'm done with his shit.

If I never see him again, I'll be OK. Obviously, I'm going to get into arguments in the future with people who disagree with me on certain things, but there was something different about this guy. It was a mule-like stubornness and unwillingness to take into account facts. I would think that if I get into the same kind of argument in the future, that at least the other person will come up with a lot better reasons than this. His whole position was basically 1) making a false statement (thesis) 2) Using only a little weak conjecture and opinion to bolster it and stating it as a pure fact and nothing else besides that and 3) Knocking down official reliable facts by the other person by saying they're either not reliable or true. No matter how objective the source is.

This guy thought he was a good debator too. God, I need a drink.

NDSUFREAK
08-26-2007, 05:06 PM
:fight: :fight: :fight: :fight: :fight: :fight: :fight: :fight: :fight: :fight: :fight: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

WOOWWWWWWW!! I hate when und fans like that keep on claiming false shit like that!!:ranting: :ranting:

TheBisonator
08-26-2007, 05:13 PM
:fight: :fight: :fight: :fight: :fight: :fight: :fight: :fight: :fight: :fight: :fight: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

WOOWWWWWWW!! I hate when und fans like that keep on claiming false shit like that!!:ranting: :ranting:

This guy wasn't a UND fan, though. He's more anti-NDSU than anything else.

Bison Dan
08-26-2007, 05:18 PM
Let us know who this gem is and where you worked!

X-Factor
08-26-2007, 05:21 PM
wow, talk about a dense individual. this guy brings thick-skulled to a new level.

TheBisonator
08-26-2007, 05:22 PM

Out of respect to this guy's safety, I'd rather not say. I know I'm probably only going to see him one more time in my life, when I pick up my last check. Arguing with any UND fan would be better than with this guy. At least with that, I'm truly arguing against the other side, and not arguing an ally of the other side by-proxy who's more than anything else just against our side.

TheBisonator
08-26-2007, 05:24 PM
wow, talk about a dense individual. this guy brings thick-skulled to a new level.

It was just the lies that he told. With anyone else, if you told them the straight-up facts, they'd be skeptical, but at least they may give a little on that front and be willing to verify facts for themselves if you persuade them to. With this guy, the stats could come from God Himself and he'd still call them unreliable.

Bison Dan
08-26-2007, 05:27 PM
Out of respect to this guy's safety, I'd rather not say. I know I'm probably only going to see him one more time in my life, when I pick up my last check. Arguing with any UND fan would be better than with this guy. At least with that, I'm truly arguing against the other side, and not arguing an ally of the other side by-proxy who's more than anything else just against our side.

Just let everyone in Bisonville which company not to do business with. I for one try not to do business with companies that are like that.

TheBisonator
08-26-2007, 05:38 PM
Just let everyone in Bisonville which company not to do business with. I for one try not to do business with companies that are like that.

I'll PM the business to you, if you promise not to do anything to him.:D

You still won't know which "boss" at that business it was, anyway. There's a few "bosses" there.

Da_Bison
08-26-2007, 05:42 PM
You should have given him a count of Championship banners or taken him into the dome to count them himself.
UND has how many? Exactly...... End of Discussion

No_Skill
08-26-2007, 05:53 PM
I'm guessing this guy was more anit-Bisonator than anti-Bison. It sounds like he was saying this stuff just to get under your skin.

TheBisonator
08-26-2007, 05:58 PM
I'm guessing this guy was more anit-Bisonator than anti-Bison. It sounds like he was saying this stuff just to get under your skin.

Could be... Still, I don't want to associate with anyone like that if they're going to do that. It's just childish, immature bullying behaviour.

He could have been just trying to get under my skin. If he was doing that, then I had no reason to stay there. What's the point of working there two more days if he was going to do that??

Bison Dan
08-26-2007, 08:00 PM
I'll PM the business to you, if you promise not to do anything to him.:D

You still won't know which "boss" at that business it was, anyway. There's a few "bosses" there.

Oh I'm not into that - just don't want to do business with companies run by idiots.

CaBisonFan
08-26-2007, 09:15 PM
I walked out on the spot and quit.

The good news is that I put in my 2-week notice a while ago, and this was my 2nd to last day of work. I also have another job lined up for next week.

Here's the story: We were talking about the district supervisor (my boss's boss) and how he played for UND, and I off-handedly said, "You know what's funny, it makes me think of recently I've seen someone on an online discussion (DaveK) who thinks UND football is more popular than NDSU football in the state."

And then he says, "Of course it is, by far!!" I just jump back in astonishment, thinking this guy is living in 2002 still. Now I must warn you, I've argued with this guy before on another topic. The thing about him is that he's what we call "half-educated". In that he gets a little information on a topic, and then skews that out to himself thinking he has full-blown knowledge on the topic.

OK, so what happens is that to refute his argument, I first tell him that NDSU football got twice as many fans per game than UND football last year (16,377 to 8,827). I even stated all the exact attendance histories of the past 5 years of both teams, since I've memorized all these facts. He asks me where I got those numbers, and I say, the NCAA website and both school's media guides, of course. He then says "Well, that's not official statistics." (I'm like WTF, NCAA isn't official statistics?? What planet are you living on??")

So he's claiming that all the attendance counts are bogus, then I ask him why HE thinks UND football is more popular, and he says "They have a bigger radio network, and have more games on TV." I say wrong again, and tell him about NDSU's radio network that covers 10 stations in 2 states and how we have 5 games on TV this year. He then claims to me that it isn't true, and then brushes it aside by saying, "Well, that's only because NDSU got into the Summit League this year." (Not because they established a new broadcast division of their marketing department, or anything like that.)

(The thing about this guy is that if you tell him any facts for your side in an argument, he'll just either say that they're false, or unreliable.)

He then goes on to tell me that not only there are more UND sports fans in Fargo than Bison sports fans, but that there are more UND alumni in Fargo than NDSU alumni!! I tell him that's a big fat lie, because I've seen the stats on both school's alumni websites, and he brushes it off at being unreliable data again. What, where would YOU like the data to come from, you idiot?? From God himself??

He says there are a lot more fans outstate that cheer for UND football. He says the only place in the state where there are Bison fans is in Fargo. I tell him that the part about only fans in Fargo is a big fat BS, and the part about outstate fans might have been true several years ago, but that's changed recently, and that he obviously has never been to a game, because there countless people from outstate that are at Bison games.

He then digs up this BS nugget: He then says to me that there are a lot of NDSU fans (AND STUDENTS!!!) who decide NOT to go to NDSU games, and instead go to the UND game instead. (It's actually the reverse that's true) That was the lie that ended it all. I told him about the Saturday last November where UND had 5,000 to their playoff game while we had over 19,000 to our game against SDSU that same day. He just ignores it.

He doesn't even get his stats right: He tells me that last year was the first year ever that NDSU broke 13,000 in average attendance. I tell him that we actually broke 13,000 in 2004, and that there were years in the 80's and 90's where we had over 14,000 average, but again, just like a mule. Statistical proof means nothing to him.

Why did he think there were more UND alumni in Fargo than NDSU alumni?? He THOUGHT he saw an article in the Forum years ago that said that. Meanwhile, I'm cranking out statistics from the NCAA, press releases, data websites, and all he can come up with is conjecture.

I hate that guy so much. In another argument we had, he told me that SDSU would badly beat the Bison this year. He also told me that UND would beat the Bison. He also told me if the old NCC was back together this year, NDSU would barely finish in the middle of the conference.

This guy didn't go to UND or NDSU either. Obviously this guy has some kind of rod up his ass against NDSU. I couldn't stand being around him anymore. I've already got another job I'm starting. I'm done with his shit.

If I never see him again, I'll be OK. Obviously, I'm going to get into arguments in the future with people who disagree with me on certain things, but there was something different about this guy. It was a mule-like stubornness and unwillingness to take into account facts. I would think that if I get into the same kind of argument in the future, that at least the other person will come up with a lot better reasons than this. His whole position was basically 1) making a false statement (thesis) 2) Using only a little weak conjecture and opinion to bolster it and stating it as a pure fact and nothing else besides that and 3) Knocking down official reliable facts by the other person by saying they're either not reliable or true. No matter how objective the source is.

This guy thought he was a good debator too. God, I need a drink.

I wonder if he's a good friend of Mike McFeely.

CaBisonFan
08-26-2007, 09:20 PM

I'm with you.

TheBisonator
08-26-2007, 09:37 PM
All I'm going to say is:

Boycott the Downtown Fargo Domino's Pizza (the one on N University).

Don't boycott all the Domino's in the F-M area. Even though the F-M stores are run by a former UND football player, he's a real good guy, and he does lots of business with Bison athletics, therefore he's a supporter in my mind. He's the reason why Bison football and basketball get a lot of pizza concession sales. Go to the South Fargo location if you can. They guy who runs that store is also a great guy. There's also good folks who run the North Fargo location on 19th.

Tatanka
08-26-2007, 09:54 PM
Done!:nod:

NDSUstudent
08-26-2007, 10:17 PM
All I'm going to say is:

Boycott the Downtown Fargo Domino's Pizza (the one on N University).

Don't boycott all the Domino's in the F-M area. Even though the F-M stores are run by a former UND football player, he's a real good guy, and he does lots of business with Bison athletics, therefore he's a supporter in my mind. He's the reason why Bison football and basketball get a lot of pizza concession sales. Go to the South Fargo location if you can. They guy who runs that store is also a great guy. There's also good folks who run the North Fargo location on 19th.

Is your boss Davek? Seriously, I made a little crack on AGS about how I hate my rival because their grads never get my pizza delivered on time and he was upset about it. He even gave me negative rep points and a nice message about how childish my comment was.

Tatanka
08-26-2007, 10:20 PM
Is your boss Davek? Seriously, I made a little crack on AGS about how I hate my rival because their grads never get my pizza delivered on time and he was upset about it. He even gave me negative rep points and a nice message about how childish my comment was.
:rofl:
:rofl:

NDSUFREAK
08-27-2007, 12:34 AM
hahaha, i remember that one!!

Bisonguy
08-27-2007, 01:55 AM
Try as I might not to, everytime I look at this thread I keep hearing Lita Ford:

I went to Domino's last Saturday night,
I didn't get paid, I got in a fight,
Uh Huh
It ain't no big thing.

:D

TransAmBison
08-27-2007, 02:04 AM
Try as I might not to, everytime I look at this thread I keep hearing Lita Ford:

I went to Domino's last Saturday night,
I didn't get paid, I got in a fight,
Uh Huh
It ain't no big thing.

:D
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hammersmith
08-27-2007, 04:19 PM
This doesn't quite fit the situation, but the timing is incredible:

Forum seeks job quitting stories (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=176414)

99Bison
08-27-2007, 04:34 PM
This doesn't quite fit the situation, but the timing is incredible:

Forum seeks job quitting stories (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=176414)

Not sure that's a coincidence...?

RodentiaX
08-27-2007, 10:12 PM
I avoid Dominos, but only because the box it came in tastes better than the pizza...

TransAmBison
08-27-2007, 11:49 PM
I don't understand why anyone would order Dominos in town anyway with Pizza Patrol only a 241-9000 away!

Bisonguy
08-27-2007, 11:56 PM
I don't understand why anyone would order Dominos in town anyway with Pizza Patrol only a 241-9000 away!

Mmmmmm...... Golden French Crust.

heymch86
08-28-2007, 12:18 AM
wow....... we all really need football season to start ASAP

56BISON73
08-28-2007, 12:37 AM

Even PizzaHut is better than Dominos. And that isnt saying much. LOL PL

99Bison
08-28-2007, 12:47 AM
slapshot pizza

56BISON73
08-28-2007, 01:21 AM
Mmmmmm...... Golden French Crust.

I keep hearing about Pizza Patrol. I guess Iam going to have to have one on one of my trips. PL:hungry:

TheBisonator
08-28-2007, 01:44 AM
I had a Renelli's not too long ago, and I found it to be quite acceptable.

In any case, what's done is done, and I don't need to see that guy ever again in my life. The more I think about it now, the more I think he was trying to drag me into a fight. Maybe he wanted an excuse to fire me, I dunno. It's over with, anyway.

Bisonguy
08-28-2007, 01:49 AM
I had a Renelli's not too long ago, and I found it to be quite acceptable.

In any case, what's done is done, and I don't need to see that guy ever again in my life. The more I think about it now, the more I think he was trying to drag me into a fight. Maybe he wanted an excuse to fire me, I dunno. It's over with, anyway.

Some people are just douchebags and like to push people's buttons. One of our division managers recently forced a tech to quit and got the operations manager fired in one fell swoop.

onbison09
08-28-2007, 02:22 AM
What a dumbass!! Usually if people try to get under your skin they will back off after a while. NDSU would finish in the middle of the NCC WTF????

KC Bison
08-28-2007, 12:59 PM
Let me see if I have this straight.... Guy with a UND education has to get a job in Fargo (sounds like he'd rather be in Grand Forks), in essentially the fast food industry, and can't handle statistics .. it sounds to me like he got the typical UND education.

HerdBot
08-28-2007, 02:24 PM
Comparing the popularity of NDSU football vs UND is comical. NDSU wins in a landslide. (19K for SDSU vs 5K in the playoffs, tv time, radio, 10k fans at Gophers game solidifies that) He should have been arguing NDSU football vs UND HOCKEY! We could make the argument that NDSU football is catching up.

TheBisonator
08-28-2007, 04:00 PM
Comparing the popularity of NDSU football vs UND is comical. NDSU wins in a landslide. (19K for SDSU vs 5K in the playoffs, tv time, radio, 10k fans at Gophers game solidifies that) He should have been arguing NDSU football vs UND HOCKEY! We could make the argument that NDSU football is catching up.

If he and I were talking about Bison Football versus Sioux Hockey, then it would have been a legitimate, rational discussion. Obviously both teams are the two most popular sports teams in the state, and it's completely debateable as to which is more popular. But with Bison football versus und football, there's no question. I know the guy hasn't been to any Bison football games, because when I asked him how many games he's been to in the past 4 years (I've been to every single one), he wouldn't answer, and then tried to steer the argument another way.

He doesn't even know the name of the stadium they play in (He called NDSU's football stadium the "Bisondome".) So yeah, he basically doesn't know shit.

Bison Dan
08-28-2007, 04:59 PM
If he and I were talking about Bison Football versus Sioux Hockey, then it would have been a legitimate, rational discussion. Obviously both teams are the two most popular sports teams in the state, and it's completely debateable as to which is more popular. But with Bison football versus und football, there's no question. I know the guy hasn't been to any Bison football games, because when I asked him how many games he's been to in the past 4 years (I've been to every single one), he wouldn't answer, and then tried to steer the argument another way.

He doesn't even know the name of the stadium they play in (He called NDSU's football stadium the "Bisondome".) So yeah, he basically doesn't know shit.

You got into an argument with an idiot. Like I saw on one of the egriz posts - "Never get into an argument with an idiot they drag you down to their level and beat you experience"

TheBisonator
08-28-2007, 06:16 PM
You got into an argument with an idiot. Like I saw on one of the egriz posts - "Never get into an argument with an idiot they drag you down to their level and beat you experience"

Yeah, you're right. I really need to learn to stop myself when I get into that kind of situation. I've had brilliant, rational "arguments" (more like discussions) with other people in the past regarding lots of topics, and it was all fine, because even thought the person I was talking to had a different viewpoint, they weren't an idiot.

Like I say, If you don't know anything about the topic, just man up and admit you don't know. Don't run with the ball and try to act like you're an expert on it when you don't know shit. That's basically what it boiled down to.

THEsocalledfan
08-29-2007, 08:58 PM
I keep hearing about Pizza Patrol. I guess Iam going to have to have one on one of my trips. PL:hungry:

Darn, I miss that stuff. I don't plan on being in Fargo again until SDSU weekend and will be traveling to Brookings. Hope I have time to 241-9000.

TransAm, think they would still give me the campus special?

TransAmBison
08-29-2007, 09:17 PM
Darn, I miss that stuff. I don't plan on being in Fargo again until SDSU weekend and will be traveling to Brookings. Hope I have time to 241-9000.

TransAm, think they would still give me the campus special?
Ask for it, and it will be delivered.

RodentiaX
08-29-2007, 09:33 PM
Well, there is worse pizza than Dominos. Granted, it's the pizza you find under the couch...

KC_Hats
08-30-2007, 02:50 AM
Giovanni's a large pizza for $4.00 when I went to NDSU in the late 80's. That stuff was like cardboard with pizza sauce.

Tatanka
08-30-2007, 03:00 AM
Giovanni's a large pizza for $4.00 when I went to NDSU in the late 80's. That stuff was like cardboard with pizza sauce.
Actually, that stuff IS cardboard with pizza sauce. And grease.

02Bison
08-30-2007, 03:17 AM
This is hillarious! Quitting a job over trivial UND/NDSU garbage totally unrelated to the job. Pretty pathetic...it screams "grow up" in my book! That's taking allegiance a little overboard if you ask me.....

Hammersmith
08-30-2007, 03:22 AM

God, I ate a lot of that stuff while I was at NDSU. The marching band would meet at the Moorhead Gio's after every home game. They moved there way back when ND changed the drinking age to 21 and never bothered to change when MN followed suit. The pizza might've sucked(it wasn't that bad), but they always treated us well. They even made banners for us for after the opening game.

Hammersmith
08-30-2007, 03:28 AM
This is hillarious! Quitting a job over trivial UND/NDSU garbage totally unrelated to the job. Pretty pathetic...it screams "grow up" in my book! That's taking allegiance a little overboard if you ask me.....

Dude, how about you actually read what he wrote. He walked out 2 days before he was already scheduled to quit. And it was from a Domino's for pete's sake. It's not as if he walked out of mission control 30 seconds before a shuttle launch. You really need to have a sense of humor installed; and coming from me, that's saying something.

02Bison
08-30-2007, 03:38 AM
I stand by my opinion. This thread and the premise of it is pretty sad. I think some take the old rivalry a little too literal...to the point its appalling. NDSU/SDSU is a healthy rivalry. UND/NDSU is nothing but garbage that is a disgrace to any athletes who have given their all to the games on the field. If I lose rep points for saying such stuff, then I don't think the Rep points mean anything.

SDbison
08-30-2007, 04:31 AM
I stand by my opinion. This thread and the premise of it is pretty sad. I think some take the old rivalry a little too literal...to the point its appalling. NDSU/SDSU is a healthy rivalry. UND/NDSU is nothing but garbage that is a disgrace to any athletes who have given their all to the games on the field. If I lose rep points for saying such stuff, then I don't think the Rep points mean anything.
02Bison, Don't you first have to earn some Rep points before you can lose them?

56BISON73
08-30-2007, 04:44 AM
There was a place called Pinks Pizza when I was in school that had god awful pizza. But if it was late at night and you had enough to drink you could tolerate it. The fact they delivered was its only good point. PL

sambini
08-30-2007, 04:47 AM
PL IT WAS PINKYS PIZZA. They served it at Sports Bar. They don.t make it anymore.

56BISON73
08-30-2007, 04:50 AM
PL IT WAS PINKYS PIZZA. They served it at Sports Bar. They don.t make it anymore.

Is Sports Bar still around? PL

sambini
08-30-2007, 12:22 PM
yES BUT IT MOVED FROM IST AVE NORTH TO NP AVE. BIGGER PLACE THAN THE OLD ONE.