PDA

View Full Version : New System

bisonaudit
08-24-2007, 05:36 PM
There was a story in the paper today about NDSU running a new system w/ 4 middle hitters on the floor. Made it sould like it was fairly unothodox.

I'm only a casual observer of volleyball. Can someone expound on the intracies of this new system, plusses minuses, difficulties for our players, trouble it may cause to opposition, etc.

BisonSig
08-31-2007, 08:30 PM
I can't say I know for sure what this system is/does. My best guess is that they are going to bombard the middle of the court with 1 of the 2 front row 'middle' hitters and the other will rotate out to the left or right side.

Basically this is the equivalent of running a Pro formation in football. Either back can run the dive play 'Middle attack' and the other one goes either left or right. The QB (setter) then decides which to set.

The middle's might do x plays where one starts in the middle, the other comes hard at the setter and jumps like she is expecting a 'quick' while the first hitter then comes around the quick to hit a 32. This is a very difficult play to defend as the middle blocker needs to respect the fake and go up with it. The outside blocker doesn't normally suck in that far but may have to to attempt a solo block on the 32.

Background definitions:

Quick: A hit in which the attacker is in the air before the ball is set. The setter then literally sets the ball in front of the attackers hand during the swing.

32: A ball that goes approximately 2 balls above the net and 3 feet away from the setter position. This attack coupled with the fake quick is very tough to defend as the defense may not be in position in time.

Clear as mud?