PDA

View Full Version : Great West inteview.

Scooter1
08-24-2007, 02:23 AM
During halftime of the UND - HoHumbolt state game, they had someone on from the Great West talk about UND joining the Great West. Two things that I thought stuck out during the interview was that the UND interviewer said "The Great West has two teams leaving and are replacing them with what we to think are stronger institutions." The Great West guy just kind of let that one go and said "Well...." The second thing that the interviewer said was "Didn't the Great West seek UND out?" The reply was, "No, you sent US a letter of interrest. At that point we kept an eye on you guys."

Tatanka
08-24-2007, 02:47 AM
Niiiiiiiiice....

The sad part is that someone up there is actually drinking that kool-aid. Fortunately the GWFC guy didn't buy in. :smh:

4mcruenomore
08-24-2007, 03:03 AM
I wonder what attendance was at that turd of a game....

Bisonguy
08-24-2007, 03:07 AM
Niiiiiiiiice....

The sad part is that someone up there is actually drinking that kool-aid. Fortunately the GWFC guy didn't buy in. :smh:

I believe it was the commish of the GWFC.

TheBisonator
08-24-2007, 03:17 AM
Good thing the GWFC commish wasn't buying his bullshit.

Scooter1
08-24-2007, 03:44 AM
Yeah, I thought it was the commish but wasn't sure since I came into the interview just after it had started.

UND did look pretty good though. 59-0
Humbolt State didn't even show up.
Lost 23 seniors off a team that lost 20-0 against central washington last year.

TAILG8R
08-24-2007, 04:00 AM
NDSU looked good a few years back when they beat MSUM 81-0 too. But what can really take from it?

Tatanka
08-24-2007, 04:01 AM
West Fargo High School JV squad would probably look good too, given the "competition".

Hammersmith
08-24-2007, 01:15 PM
I wonder what attendance was at that turd of a game....

10,178; about 150 down from the first home game last year.

Two ways to look at it:
1. Attendance was very good considering how early in the year the game was and the unfamiliar opponent.
2. Attendance was lousy considering last year's numbers and that this was finally a night game.

Bisonguy
08-24-2007, 08:43 PM
10,178; about 150 down from the first home game last year.

Two ways to look at it:
1. Attendance was very good considering how early in the year the game was and the unfamiliar opponent.
2. Attendance was lousy considering last year's numbers and that this was finally a night game.

Considering the $10 tickets and 2 for 1's, the latter is probably the correct choice.

KC_Hats
08-26-2007, 08:20 PM
NOW, UND WANTS TO REACH THE SUMMIT
http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/index.cfm?id=48179&section=sports

“Clearly, for us, our No. 1 logical choice of preference would be with The Summit League,” UND athletic director Tom Buning said. “If you put together a matrix of all things considered, they come out on the positive side of many, many things.

What happened to the Big Sky Conference wanting UND so badly that it denied NDSU and SDSU to wait on UND?:bow:

With NDSU and SDSU leaving and being replaced by first-year Division I schools, how much will the level of competition drop in 2008?
Looking at the success North Dakota State has had, and South Dakota State, in their move from Division II to Division I, I think there's a benchmark there. If you look at both of the programs, USD and UND right now, I think you may see that they have been better-quality programs than those two schools when they made the move. So I don't see much of a dropoff.
Do you mean when the programs entered Division I?
Yes.

At least they clarified it although the UND interviewer believes UND has a better program than NDSU currently does.:smh:

TheBisonator
08-26-2007, 09:40 PM
I will admit, UND is doing better in its last DII year than NDSU was in its last DII year (and that horrible year before), so they got a point there, but it remains to be seen how that will be translated into DI success. The circumstances at UND and NDSU are almost night and day.

Still, I expect UND will have success in the GWFC.

Tatanka
08-26-2007, 09:51 PM
Nothing against Grom but he seems to have a bit of a chip on his shoulder now that the SUs have moved on... which the spin doctors in el Forko Grande are all to willing to exploit. :smh:

I can kind of understand the chip. I definitely understand the spin. What I don't understand is the continuing departure from reality among teh university faithful.

NDSUstudent
08-26-2007, 10:25 PM
I will admit, UND is doing better in its last DII year than NDSU was in its last DII year (and that horrible year before), so they got a point there, but it remains to be seen how that will be translated into DI success. The circumstances at UND and NDSU are almost night and day.

I won't admit that, both UND and USD are playing in a crippled NCC and UND's football schedule is not in the ballpark as ours was. You can't compare the two schools. However, I agree completely with the later. I think all the USD and UND people saying we were their guniea pigs are out of their minds. Both the XDU's are entering DI in what is a very different environment.

NDSU1980
08-27-2007, 03:13 AM

NDSU literally built the Great West from the ground up. UND is stepping in to fill the void left by us moving on to better pastures. That said, I'd bet the farm, (and I really do have a farm), that this is the last break UND gets for a long, long time.

tcbison
08-27-2007, 01:31 PM
NOW, UND WANTS TO REACH THE SUMMIT
http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/index.cfm?id=48179&section=sports

For an article written about UND they sure talked about NDSU a lot.

bisonmike2
08-27-2007, 02:32 PM
Just for clarification, these conferences they are wanting to join are the same ones that they felt provided no significant increase in competative action then DII?

Tatanka
08-27-2007, 03:20 PM
Just for clarification, these conferances they are wanting to join are the same ones that they felt provided no significant competative action then DII?
:nod: :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh:

WYOBISONMAN
08-28-2007, 01:32 PM
When one looks at the DI moritorium, it ought to scare the hell out of the UND folks. All the DI movement in conferences created opportunities for the xDSUs to get into the Summit and the Gateway. Now that movement is gone due to the moritorium on DI moves. I think UND is going to be frozen out for a long time. The last thing UND wants is a situation with no moves from conference to conference in all of DI.

NDSU1980
08-28-2007, 02:08 PM
When one looks at the DI moritorium, it ought to scare the hell out of the UND folks. All the DI movement in conferences created opportunities for the xDSUs to get into the Summit and the Gateway. Now that movement is gone due to the moritorium on DI moves. I think UND is going to be frozen out for a long time. The last thing UND wants is a situation with no moves from conference to conference in all of DI.

Another thing the moratorium does to UND is it stops the pool of teams in transition from being refilled. Some of the schools that made the move to D1 earlier will settle into a conference somewhere in the country and won't be desperate enough to play UND, and no new schools are moving up, so who do they play? The more I think about it, the more it looks like the moratorium is going to really bite UND, even though they made it in under the wire.

WYOBISONMAN
08-28-2007, 08:29 PM
Agreed...............

BisBison
08-29-2007, 12:54 AM
It's still too bad the NCAA didn't invoke the "freeze" a bit earlier.

sambini
08-29-2007, 04:34 AM
Like a year or two earlier+++

imabison
08-29-2007, 01:52 PM
Like a year or two earlier+++
Does anyone think that the school up north was NOT aware there was a freeze coming? I would guess they knew and that forced them to move when they did.

bisonmike2
08-29-2007, 02:05 PM
Does anyone think that the school up north was NOT aware there was a freeze coming? I would guess they knew and that forced them to move when they did.

That's a tough call. Bunning seems to be a little more intelligent than past UND administrators. If he did know, I would like to see his pro's and con's of moving and staying. I would think the freeze is a huge con. Much of the opportunity to find a conference involves teams moving up or down in divisions. Granted sometimes it is a school bolting for a different conference in the same division but again that usually happens because the accepting conference lost somebody in the past to a different division. If UND knew that the freeze was coming, I would almost bet money that the pressure to move up came from influenzes above Bunning, i.e. Kupcake and ghost of Ralph.

bincitysioux
08-30-2007, 01:09 AM
From everything I've read, the moratorium came as kind of a shock to everyone, so I doubt that UND or USD had an idea that it would happen. As far as its implications on finding a conference, yeah it'll hurt I'm afraid. There won't be any talk for a few years of Sac St. or Portland St. (Glanville's idea) moving on to the WAC, opening up a spot in the Big Sky, however slim the chances would have been for that. It also hurts in the fact that it really narrows the potential candidates for joining the GWFC. On the other hand, it appears that the Summit is the goal for Bunning, and since they don't have football, I think there is still a good chance that they could look to expand at some point in the near future, hopefully before UND's transition is over. When the Big East splits, or the Big 10 expands, the effects will filter on down through the Horizon and/or the MVC, and those conferences will in turn look to the Summit. Then there is always the slim possiblity that Southern Utah could get into the Big Sky or Centenary to the Southland which they've been pursuing for some time.

Gothmog
08-30-2007, 03:26 AM
From everything I've read, the moratorium came as kind of a shock to everyone, so I doubt that UND or USD had an idea that it would happen. As far as its implications on finding a conference, yeah it'll hurt I'm afraid. There won't be any talk for a few years of Sac St. or Portland St. (Glanville's idea) moving on to the WAC, opening up a spot in the Big Sky, however slim the chances would have been for that. It also hurts in the fact that it really narrows the potential candidates for joining the GWFC. On the other hand, it appears that the Summit is the goal for Bunning, and since they don't have football, I think there is still a good chance that they could look to expand at some point in the near future, hopefully before UND's transition is over. When the Big East splits, or the Big 10 expands, the effects will filter on down through the Horizon and/or the MVC, and those conferences will in turn look to the Summit. Then there is always the slim possiblity that Southern Utah could get into the Big Sky or Centenary to the Southland which they've been pursuing for some time.

Well, Bunning may want the Summit, but he can't get the Summit without NDSU and SDSU's votes. Right now it just ain't gonna happen.

WYOBISONMAN
08-30-2007, 02:22 PM
Yes, I would be very surprised to see NDSU or SDSU support UND or USD getting into the Summit.

bisonmike2
08-30-2007, 03:22 PM
I'm not too familiar with b-ball scheduling. how is the summit in terms of number of teams needed for scheduling? Are we at a good number? would a couple more be a good fit? What I'm getting at is the Gateway next year is almost perfect. We get 8 conference games (4 home 4 away) and 3 non conference games. We are looking at almost guaranteeing 6 home games a year, maybe more. Couldn't work out better. Are we in a similiar position now in the summit?

roadwarrior
08-30-2007, 04:27 PM
In the Summit for basketball, there are 18 conference games. We play every other team at home and on the road. A good number of games for conference play in my opinion.

NDSU1980
08-30-2007, 05:21 PM
bincity, I suggest you take a crash course in the Roger Thomas school of hardknox, course 101 titled "Foot Firmly Planted In Mouth". There is no way in #%^& that NDSU and SDSU are going to vote for UND to crawl into the Summit. Ain't gonna happen.

BisBison
08-30-2007, 05:51 PM
In the Summit for basketball, there are 18 conference games. We play every other team at home and on the road. A good number of games for conference play in my opinion.

PERFECT number of conference games imho. No votes for expansion for a long while me hopes.

TheDoctor
09-06-2007, 06:56 AM
Keep the firetrucks at bay FOREVER! ;)