PDA

View Full Version : FargoDome could learn a thing or two

bisonaudit
08-23-2007, 03:20 PM
A story from the Washington Post about the DC United fan club. There are several good bits about how the team, fans, and facility came together to provide a richer game experience. The athletic department and the FargoDome and even the fans could take a few lessons from what's happened here.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/14/AR2007081401343.html

I went to my first ever professional futbol game the other week when Beckham was in town. I can't say I'm a fan of the game, I didn't grow up with it and I don't understand it, but the atmostphere was electric! College football like! And Beckham was only a small part of it, these guys from the fan club were crazy! Filled 6 sections of the lower bowl, stood the entire game, drums pounding, flags waveing the entire game. Confetti, smoke bombs, team color toilet paper! Singing and chanting the entire game. They TIVO the game becuase their too busy cheering to see what's happening!

And everybody gets along. The beer guy just passes out the suds and doesn't worry about the money until the game's over because he knows he'll get paid. Not applicable to NDSU football directly but just the attitude between the fans and the facility staff... And this is DC...

Amazing! Now if I only knew what was going on, on the field...

onbison09
08-23-2007, 04:17 PM
That was awesome. I for one like soccer and appreciate it. I watched an England-Germany match yesterday and there was 90,000 people there for an exhibition match. 90,000. People sing and dance the whole game and no one sits down. I also watch some English league games and when their team scores it's so loud it's like a fighter jet went over the stadium. When your country's team is playing your life stops for 2 hours. Countries have called truces to civil wars so they can watch their country's team. It's too bad team USA sucks so bad. Thanks for the article bisonadult.

tony
08-23-2007, 04:17 PM
Hehe, I think FargoDome security would probably call in the National Guard if NDSU fans started anything like Barra Brava.

Multiple choice test. Which of the following things will not get you kicked out to the FargoDome and/or threatened with arrest? Check as many as apply:

__ a. Standing
__ b. Complaining about the noise
__ c. Screaming
__ d. Beating drums
__ e. Waving flags
__ f. Drinking beer
__ g. Tut-tutting
__ h. Having fun
__ i. Sudoku (if done respectfully)

Seriously, if those Barra Brava guys came to Fargo for a football game, I'm afraid they'd be maced and/or tasered before being handcuffed, led out of the FargoDome, forced to lie facedown in the FargoDome parking lot, and subjected to a full body cavity search before being deposited in jail. Of course, the problem isn't FargoDome as much as it is the composition of the fan base. All I ask is one section for the guys who think Barra Brava-type behavior is a celebration of life rather than a symptom of society's collapse. Section 20 and 21, you are our only hopes! Assimilate and expand!

SDbison
08-23-2007, 06:43 PM
That was awesome. I for one like soccer and appreciate it. I watched an England-Germany match yesterday and there was 90,000 people there for an exhibition match. 90,000. People sing and dance the whole game and no one sits down. I also watch some English league games and when their team scores it's so loud it's like a fighter jet went over the stadium. When your country's team is playing your life stops for 2 hours. Countries have called truces to civil wars so they can watch their country's team. It's too bad team USA sucks so bad. Thanks for the article bisonadult.
Soccer is STILL a minor spectator sport in the United States. Who cares! We still have our Football, Basketball, baseball, hockey and a bunch of other great AMERICAN sports to follow. Just because most of the third world and goofy Europeans go bonkers and kill each other over soccer doesn't make it a top spectator sport in America.

56BISON73
08-23-2007, 08:14 PM

The reason the fans have to sing and dance all game is because the game is absolutely boring. I have been to a couple of pro games. I have watched it on TV. I understand the game BUT it bores me to tears.:banghead: PL

onbison09
08-23-2007, 08:45 PM
When my dad talks about the good ole days with duck bombs and bottles of Southern Comfort flying I just think what happened??

onbison09
08-23-2007, 08:48 PM
Hehe, I think FargoDome security would probably call in the National Guard if NDSU fans started anything like Barra Brava.

Multiple choice test. Which of the following things will not get you kicked out to the FargoDome and/or threatened with arrest? Check as many as apply:

_/_ a. Standing (especially near the living dead)
__ b. Complaining about the noise
_/_ c. Screaming
_/_ d. Beating drums
_/_ e. Waving flags (the only time this is acceptable is after a TD but wave with caution)
_/_ f. Drinking beer (violaters will be shot on sight)
_/_ g. Tut-tutting (don't know what that is but I'm sure you would get thrown out)
_///_ h. Having fun
_/_ i. Sudoku (if done respectfully)

Seriously, if those Barra Brava guys came to Fargo for a football game, I'm afraid they'd be maced and/or tasered before being handcuffed, led out of the FargoDome, forced to lie facedown in the FargoDome parking lot, and subjected to a full body cavity search before being deposited in jail. Of course, the problem isn't FargoDome as much as it is the composition of the fan base. All I ask is one section for the guys who think Barra Brava-type behavior is a celebration of life rather than a symptom of society's collapse. Section 20 and 21, you are our only hopes! Assimilate and expand!
All of the above pretty much.

bisonaudit
08-23-2007, 09:25 PM
Shoot,I had the over at 5 on the number of posts until we got the Soccer sucks rant. :)

Seriously, the point of the article and the intent of this thread is was to reenforce the idea that Bison fans are getting treated like crap at the Dome and it's bad for NDSU. The three parties involved should be able to reach a reasonable accomidation as happened @ RFK w/ DC United and the fans.

The athletic department needs to stand up for the fans. That's what happened here. DC United worked with the RFK people and forced changes to the game experience for the fans.

Gully
08-24-2007, 01:46 AM
Do you know why so many kids play soccer? So they don't have to watch it!

Tatanka
08-24-2007, 02:50 AM
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s96/Tatankabucket/awjeez.jpg

SDbison
08-24-2007, 03:52 AM
Do you know why so many kids play soccer? So they don't have to watch it!
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

bisonaudit
08-24-2007, 02:19 PM
Guess I should have waited 2 weeks to post this, until after some of us have another run-in with the Dome Nazi's. Then maybe we could have a substantive conversation about how unnecessarily messed up that situation is. Instead it's a soccer joke free for all. Laugh it up fuzz balls.

NDSUFREAK
08-24-2007, 10:55 PM
not only the FFD but every stadium needs to learn this. FUTBOL FANS ARE THE MOST PASSIONATE FANS IN THE WORLD.

Gully
08-25-2007, 04:59 AM
not only the FFD but every stadium needs to learn this. FUTBOL FANS ARE THE MOST PASSIONATE FANS IN THE WORLD.

As much as I like to joke about soccer, I will admit they have some extremely passionate fans....just not so many in the US. I could probably get into it if I went with some hardcore fans....although I'd have to learn the game to really appreciate it.

NDSUFREAK
08-25-2007, 03:29 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=P0M5weZjT_k

that is just brazil's fans

SDbison
08-25-2007, 07:27 PM
Yeah, over in Iraq and Iran they have some radical fans of Islam that strap bombs to their body and blow themselves up in public. Doesn't mean we want to emulate them.
Just because most of the countries that play soccer are poor and it is the only sport they have, doesn't make it a big deal in America. The idiot fans just don't have a clue because there is nothing else for them to do.
I will say it again, soccer is only a big deal because in today's age of inclusion any kid can do well enough at four years old to run around a field and kick a ball towards one end. It takes little or no parental involvement to build the skills necessary for a young kid to start playing.
Also, traditional American sports are considered too physical or injury prone so over protective parents of this generation prefer their darlings to run around a field kicking at a ball in their early years. Swinging a bat or stick, catching a hard ball, and knocking down an opposing player is just too violent for PC parents.
Sad statement on where America is headed. Why do we want to be like the rest of the world? There are plenty of American / North American
sports (Football, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey) that kids want to play and spectators flock to see. Just look at attendance for high school football, basketball and hockey games. Much more interest there than in the high school soccer game. Same goes for college. If soccer was so great there would be a big shift to follow soccer games as a primary sport. Maybe in 20 more years soccer will take over when most of Mexico has illlegally moved to the US .

SDbison
08-25-2007, 07:36 PM
As much as I like to joke about soccer, I will admit they have some extremely passionate fans....just not so many in the US. I could probably get into it if I went with some hardcore fans....although I'd have to learn the game to really appreciate it.
Personally I don't care for soccer and I am tired of parents at work bragging up their kids who play a participation sport. If their kids were playing baseball, football, hockey or basketball I would take notice because I know there is so much more required to become proficient at an early age. As far as interest in soccer as a spectator I have none. I would rather watch paint dry or grass grow. Soccer sucks!

NDSUFREAK
08-25-2007, 07:54 PM
Yeah, over in Iraq and Iran they have some radical fans of Islam that strap bombs to their body and blow themselves up in public. Doesn't mean we want to emulate them.
Just because most of the countries that play soccer are poor and it is the only sport they have, doesn't make it a big deal in America. The idiot fans just don't have a clue because there is nothing else for them to do.
I will say it again, soccer is only a big deal because in today's age of inclusion any kid can do well enough at four years old to run around a field and kick a ball towards one end. It takes little or no parental involvement to build the skills necessary for a young kid to start playing.
Also, traditional American sports are considered too physical or injury prone so over protective parents of this generation prefer their darlings to run around a field kicking at a ball in their early years. Swinging a bat or stick, catching a hard ball, and knocking down an opposing player is just too violent for PC parents.
Sad statement on where America is headed. Why do we want to be like the rest of the world? There are plenty of American / North American
sports (Football, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey) that kids want to play and spectators flock to see. Just look at attendance for high school football, basketball and hockey games. Much more interest there than in the high school soccer game. Same goes for college. If soccer was so great there would be a big shift to follow soccer games as a primary sport. Maybe in 20 more years soccer will take over when most of Mexico has illlegally moved to the US .
wow, when did it change to that?? i was pointing out how passionate futbol fans are to any fans or anyother sport in the world. i have a ton of respect for footballers and the physical skill needed to play. i watch futbol games and enjoy to watch them and they are exciting at the same time. what other sport can say that they end wars. futbol won't be a big sport here because we have others you are right on that. but then again if england can get 90,000 fans for an exhibition game then that is ever bigger.

SDbison
08-25-2007, 08:18 PM
wow, when did it change to that?? i was pointing out how passionate futbol fans are to any fans or anyother sport in the world. i have a ton of respect for footballers and the physical skill needed to play. i watch futbol games and enjoy to watch them and they are exciting at the same time. what other sport can say that they end wars. futbol won't be a big sport here because we have others you are right on that. but then again if england can get 90,000 fans for an exhibition game then that is ever bigger.
Sorry FREAK, we are just on opposite ends regarding our opinion of soccer. You like watching the sport, I don't. I am tired of the soccer fanatics trying to convince me and others how great a sport it is when in reality look at how few people really give a rip here in the US. I know where you are coming from because I love hockey, yet there isn't a huge following for the pro sport. Might want to ask yourself why high school and college hockey have much more attendance than soccer at the same levels (even hockey has more fan appeal than soccer). As for the reason Euros love the sport, it is most likely because its the only pro level sport that has been around that long over there. Also, I do think it is a big deal in poor countries because of the minimal equipment / facility cost. I have posted my thoughts on soccer, why it is such a big deal to young kids and parents alike, but have yet to hear some arguments to the contrary (see my previous posts). My guess is that soccer is a great participation sport when kids are young. Some kids go on to play it at more competitve levels, but most move to other sports, and not that many that played it as a young kid view it as a big spectator sport when they grow up.
PS: Nice try but what war did soccer really end? If anything it makes a bunch of Eurofreaks really hate each other.
Also England gets so many fans for soccer because it is their only pastime sport. If American football was the only big time sport in the US there would be 100,000 plus at every game and scrimmage too.

NDSUFREAK
08-25-2007, 10:28 PM
Sorry FREAK, we are just on opposite ends regarding our opinion of soccer. You like watching the sport, I don't. I am tired of the soccer fanatics trying to convince me and others how great a sport it is when in reality look at how few people really give a rip here in the US. I know where you are coming from because I love hockey, yet there isn't a huge following for the pro sport. Might want to ask yourself why high school and college hockey have much more attendance than soccer at the same levels (even hockey has more fan appeal than soccer). As for the reason Euros love the sport, it is most likely because its the only pro level sport that has been around that long over there. Also, I do think it is a big deal in poor countries because of the minimal equipment / facility cost. I have posted my thoughts on soccer, why it is such a big deal to young kids and parents alike, but have yet to hear some arguments to the contrary (see my previous posts). My guess is that soccer is a great participation sport when kids are young. Some kids go on to play it at more competitve levels, but most move to other sports, and not that many that played it as a young kid view it as a big spectator sport when they grow up.
PS: Nice try but what war did soccer really end? If anything it makes a bunch of Eurofreaks really hate each other.
Also England gets so many fans for soccer because it is their only pastime sport. If American football was the only big time sport in the US there would be 100,000 plus at every game and scrimmage too.
when i said wars i was saying the civil wars in africa where stories on ESPN said they put down the guns to watch their country play.
every kid plays futbol (as did I) and then quit to play football or tennis in my situation. all i started was that futbol fans and the most passionate and craziest fans in the world. PERIOD. I don't really care what you think of it but if you find other fans crazier please share :)

Hammersmith
08-25-2007, 10:55 PM
Of course, soccer might also be the only sport to, in modern history, actually trigger a war.

"The Football War"
El Salvador vs. Honduras, 1969

NDSUFREAK
08-26-2007, 12:26 AM
After three years of civil war, feuding factions talked for the first time in years, and the president called a truce. Because the Ivory Coast qualified for the World Cup for the first time. Because, as everyone knows, a country united makes for better cheerleaders than a country divided.

it can do both

bisonaudit
08-26-2007, 01:35 AM
Repost just in case anyone cares to venture back into the vacinity of the point.

Guess I should have waited 2 weeks to post this, until after some of us have another run-in with the Dome Nazi's. Then maybe we could have a substantive conversation about how unnecessarily messed up that situation is. Instead it's a soccer joke free for all. Laugh it up fuzz balls.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/14/AR2007081401343.html

sambini
08-26-2007, 03:49 AM
When my dad talks about the good ole days with duck bombs and bottles of Southern Comfort flying I just think what happened??The south stands use to rock. Those duck bombs and lots of pints of liquor was consumed in those south stands.

WYOBISONMAN
08-26-2007, 02:11 PM
I loved my days as a student in the South stands.........that was really a collegiate atmosphere!

SDbison
08-26-2007, 02:39 PM
The south stands use to rock. Those duck bombs and lots of pints of liquor was consumed in those south stands.
Been there, done that.....brings back all sorts of memories. I can still hear the sounds of the crowd, the cold air in November, the smell of schnapps and whiskey, bottles clanging off the bleacher supports before crashing at the bottom, and of course the explosion of duck bombs under the stands.
I feel bad that college students today cannot experience gameday at
Dacotah Field.

SDbison
08-26-2007, 02:47 PM
I loved my days as a student in the South stands.........that was really a collegiate atmosphere!
Much as it seems like yesterday Wyo, we all know that was some time ago. Kind of makes me sad......but then I think of all the good times I have going to the games at the dome and tailgating with all sorts of Bison fans. Can't wait for two weeks from now! BTW, how many home games will you be at this year? Also, did your daughter decide to go to NDSU?

semobison
08-27-2007, 02:22 AM
The best thing about soccer, soccer moms!

RodentiaX
08-27-2007, 09:57 PM
If soccer brings you that much distress, it's easy enough to ignore it.

runtheoption
08-28-2007, 02:55 AM
Sorry soccer fans, I couldn't resist. This is work/family safe (unless your co-workers/family like futbol)

Watch for the "magic" water around 0:53 in--very fitting of the soccer "prima donna" stereotype. Then wait for the good stuff around 2:07.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DICdXTPYgpA

SDbison
08-29-2007, 02:51 AM
Sorry soccer fans, I couldn't resist. This is work/family safe (unless your co-workers/family like futbol)

Watch for the "magic" water around 0:53 in--very fitting of the soccer "prima donna" stereotype. Then wait for the good stuff around 2:07.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DICdXTPYgpA

Good stuff runtheoption. Sometimes soccer players act like a bunch of, well, if I have to be nice, cry babies. Rugby rocks, Soccer sucks!

RodentiaX
08-29-2007, 04:18 PM
Rugby rocks? Perhaps, but it's not an "American" game after all, and is less popular in the US than is soccer.

NDSUFREAK
08-29-2007, 04:40 PM
Good stuff runtheoption. Sometimes soccer players act like a bunch of, well, if I have to be nice, cry babies. Rugby rocks, Soccer sucks!

WE CAN AGREE THERE!!

bisonmike2
09-06-2007, 12:49 AM
I'm watching a special on the LSU tiger stadium. Now those guys know how to have a tailgaiting party.

NDSUFREAK
09-06-2007, 01:02 AM
nobody can beat the PSU student section.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fqgWWVo1PmY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNpT42AclgY

bisonmike2
09-06-2007, 03:15 AM
the thing that amazed me about LSU is the guy (AD i believe) said that on any given home game they have between 120,000 and 130,000 people that begin showing up on campus starting friday night. 92,000 go to the game and the rest are people who show up to the stadium to party and tailgate. amazing.

TheDoctor
09-06-2007, 06:33 AM

DON'T get SlickVic started! ;)

bisonaudit
09-10-2007, 04:15 AM
Bump, in light of the events of Saturday.

Repost just in case anyone cares to venture back into the vacinity of the point.

SlickVic
09-17-2007, 07:11 PM

i was at that game

NDSUFREAK
09-18-2007, 12:43 AM
i was at that game
wow, what an expeirence that would be

SlickVic
09-19-2007, 12:59 AM
wow, what an expeirence that would be

yeah 2 top 5 teams and that field was just littered with 1st round nfl draft picks and future pro bowlers i mean...AJ hawk, bobby carpenter, donte whitner, ashton yo booty, santonio holmes, anthony gonzales, nick mangold, quinn pitcock, troy smith, ted ginn jr, antonio pittman, michael robinson, tony hunt, levi brown, paul posluszny, jay alford, tamba hali, ethan kilmer, alan zemaitis, anwar phillips, donnie johnson, dan connor, and justin king...MY OH MY the talent that was on display...top to bottom those were 2 of the best college football teams ever assembled hands down no doubt about it

SlickVic
09-20-2007, 04:36 AM
yo FREAK you get SI the other week? welcome to the white house...

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd135/slickvic2007/whiteout.jpg