PDA

View Full Version : Winning or Faithful

bigboi
08-22-2007, 02:19 AM
How do you determine who do you start? Seniority or the better athlete! At any position.just something to think about.UUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

Tatanka
08-22-2007, 02:47 AM
I think if you look at NDSU's program overall, with few exceptions (if any, I can't think of any to be honest), the better athlete for the job starts. What can't be overlooked is knowledge of the schemes, on-field leadership, discipline, etc., some of which comes with seniority. Just my $0.02

coloradobison
08-22-2007, 02:56 AM
You play the athlete who gives you the best chance to win. Period.

Scooter1
08-22-2007, 02:57 AM
How do you determine who do you start? Seniority or the better athlete! At any position.just something to think about.UUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, a senior WR just lost his starting job to a younger player, obviously it's not seniority. The coaching staff is pretty damn good up here in fargo. I've got all the confidence in them. This team went 10-1 last year, they must be doing something right. Athletic ability is great, and we have a ton of that in the lower classes. However, you have to know the entire system. Knowledge is the second part of the equasion. These youngsters seam to be coming along pretty well. But, I tend to get a little nervous when fans want to rush the growing process. Being a great athlete can get you only so far, one missed assignment (especially on offense) could get your QB seriously hurt.

Give these kids some time to grow into the system. The coaches will play them when they are ready. I know that this may not be the answer that you were looking for, but unfortunately, it's reality. And, it's a good thing too, because I truly feel that this is the best thing for a young athlete. Remember, this is college ball. The playing field is only half of the equasion. It's so much easier for a kid if he gets the chance to get a good foundation in the school side of college life before he has to take additional weight on his shoulders. This isn't just about football, this is about life.

Last year the Bison played a lot of teams had a ton of athletic ability all over their starting roster. The big difference was player knowlege and how the coaches used their players abilities and exploited the other teams weaknesses. By weaknesses, I'm refering to this knowledge factor...just something to think about.

imported_Bisongold
08-22-2007, 03:24 AM
From what I have seen over the past 5 years with Bohl and company, is that they seem to have objective ways to evaluate or score each player at all times. The subjectivity is removed. Yes, seniority has some part of it and definitely should account for something...but they seem to be able to score each player overall, with all things considered. It is an admirable system...I would like to know more about it!!! The real trick is getting every one to buy into the system for the good of all, and yet be competing against your friend. Tough stuff!! A great model for all businesses as well.

56BISON73
08-22-2007, 04:21 AM
You play the athlete who is BEST at that position. There are many factors involved. But when it comes right down to it---does he play the position BETTER than the guy behind him. That can included is he quicker, faster, stronger,smarter. Does he have poise under pressure. Does he make mental errors etc. PL

99Bison
08-22-2007, 04:26 AM
You play the athlete who is BEST at that position. There are many factors involved. But when it comes right down to it---does he play the position BETTER than the guy behind him. That can included is he quicker, faster, stronger,smarter. Does he have poise under pressure. Does he make mental errors etc. PL

Nice short explanation +++

imported_Bisongold
08-22-2007, 01:15 PM
I believe you still have to have a scoring system to prevent problems. That way it is cut and dried. No arguments. Every coach would have a different opinion on who should be playing without a scoring system. This should lead to the best player playing which of course is the key result.

bisonaudit
08-22-2007, 03:29 PM
I believe you still have to have a scoring system to prevent problems. That way it is cut and dried. No arguments. Every coach would have a different opinion on who should be playing without a scoring system. This should lead to the best player playing which of course is the key result.

Sure, as long as your scoring system is 1) evaluating the correct qualities and 2) weighting them appropriately.

56BISON73
08-22-2007, 07:40 PM

Scoring systems are fine as it shows the players and coaches what needs to be worked on. But if the kid cant do it on game day the scoring system doesnt mean much. Plus coaches pickup certain talents the player might have that cant be scored. There is also the gut feeling about a player. Too many things that cant be scored. PL

imported_Bisongold
08-22-2007, 09:47 PM
Perhaps someone that played for Bohl could comment on how this is done.