PDA

View Full Version : KX News Bison Get Ready

tcbison
08-17-2007, 02:44 PM
Nice video on KX news on the Bison getting ready however, it sounds like he calls Cal Poly a DII contender. What is he talking about? :ranting:

http://www.kxmb.com/video.asp?ArticleId=152737&VideoId=12325

Tatanka
08-17-2007, 03:24 PM
Very nice indeed. Good to see the Bison getting some positive coverage out west...

TheDoctor
08-17-2007, 03:27 PM
D2 contender Cal Poly???? Did I miss something? Is he that clueless or was that a mistake on his part? Listen to it again. ;)

4mcruenomore
08-17-2007, 03:44 PM
Typical Bismarck coverage, people still think UND is in a higher division for football, no lie.

tcbison
08-17-2007, 03:48 PM
Typical Bismarck coverage, people still think UND is in a higher division for football, no lie.

How is that all sports station(710 AM I believe) that Jack Michaels is on? I would like to think he does a good job.

4mcruenomore
08-17-2007, 03:51 PM
I think everything is UND biased here. It's hard working at a facility where almost everyone went to UND, they honestly, honestly think they would whoop us this year. I'm not trying to make this thread into a bison/sioux thing, just stating how it is in Bis.

TheDoctor
08-17-2007, 04:26 PM
The people I know in Bismarck are behind UND because #1 went there or know someone who did and/or played there or know someone who did. They actually see NDSU as almost a professional team that has lost there (down home North Dakotaness) and so they follow the sioux. So, I don't see it as arrogance, I see it as inferior. "I have always followed the NCC and the Bison went and became bigtime. At least we still have good ol UND." Thats the way most Bismarck people think. AND for the record, I lived and taught in Bismarck for two years and have in-laws back there that we visit quite often. So, I belive my experiences are current and accurate. ;)

BISON Thunder
08-17-2007, 05:10 PM
The people I know in Bismarck are behind UND because #1 went there or know someone who did and/or played there or know someone who did. They actually see NDSU as almost a professional team that has lost there (down home North Dakotaness) and so they follow the sioux. So, I don't see it as arrogance, I see it as inferior. "I have always followed the NCC and the Bison went and became bigtime. At least we still have good ol UND." Thats the way most Bismarck people think. AND for the record, I lived and taught in Bismarck for two years and have in-laws back there that we visit quite often. So, I belive my experiences are current and accurate. ;)

I think you nailed it B1SON...same can be said for most central and western ND, in my opinion. However, once I have convinced my friends/family from outside the local area to attend a Bison football game they always say, "Hey, if you ever have any extra tickets again..."

No_Skill
08-17-2007, 05:27 PM
Yep, we Bismarck dwellers just have to take it upon our shoulders to change their way of thinking. The media around here sure isn't going to do it.

I will be bringing at least 3 people to the Sam Houston game that have never been to the dome. Let's be sure to show them a good time!:cheers: :bunnyb:

Scooter1
08-17-2007, 05:36 PM
It's Fargo in general that Bismarck has an inferiority complex with. But what's funny, it's like the one sided rivalry that we have with the U of M. Most people from Fargo wouldn't even think about Bismarck if they hadn't located the capital there. And that is a cold hard truth. About 1 of every 6 people in the state of ND live within 20 miles of the FargoDome. Deal with it, Bismarck.

Bob_Holiday
08-17-2007, 06:04 PM
I was almost surprised to see Luke Senger go to NDSU, it's almost automatic that UND is the school of choice for Bismarck kids. It's really nothing other than UND is viewed as a glitzier school, while NDSU is still the "ag school". The sportscasters don't seem to be particularly interested in NDSU other than it is part of their job to cover them, not like Jeff Kolpack. NDSU has to do a better job of selling out here. UND coaches are here regularly, while its been two or three years since NDSU has held a smoker out here. I'm sure it's partly a matter of priorities, there aren't many D1 recruits from this part of the state. But it seems this should be more than #'s of available recruits, it should be made clear that NDSU is playing for the honor of the state as well as the school. When NDSU has a year like last season, they need to get out here and pound their drum a little more. It does seem though that the most knowledgable fans keep themselves a little better informed. I was in Scheels buying some NDSU clothing recently and a young man who works there talked a little with me about the "awesome" NDSU football team.
Go Bison,
Bob Holiday

BISON Thunder
08-17-2007, 06:51 PM
It's Fargo in general that Bismarck has an inferiority complex with. But what's funny, it's like the one sided rivalry that we have with the U of M. Most people from Fargo wouldn't even think about Bismarck if they hadn't located the capital there. And that is a cold hard truth. About 1 of every 6 people in the state of ND live within 20 miles of the FargoDome. Deal with it, Bismarck.

I do not agree with the inferiorty complex thing as much as I think there is lack of communication and information. A high percentage of the people from mid and western ND look at NDSU/UND athletics the same we in the east look at the athletic programs at the universities in Minot, Dickinson and Bismarck. We know these programs exist and look for scores in Saturday's newspaper, but that is about it. I consider my friends/family from mid and western ND to be "salt of the earth" kind of folks. They are hard working and honest as the day is long. Most are/were good athletes or are/were friends of these athletes, and take pride in showing big city boys (west vs east) where the bear poops. However, I believe Bison athletics (especially football) sells itself ONCE WE GET THESE PEOPLE TO A GAME. It is a great product, and even if they are not football fans per se, they enjoy THE EXPERIENCE. Once they come to Fargo for a game they understand (1) All out-of-town folks are welcome with open arms and are greatly appreciated for taking the time to travel to the game...and for the tailgating. They learn we all love North Dakota and share common goals and aspirations...instant comraderie; (2) Bison football is very, very exciting. Other than the Cal-Davis game a couple years back, I cannot think of a recent game at the FargoDome which I would consider boring...and even that game, the tailgating was fantastic; (3) This is big time! We are fortunate to have a program in North Dakota which is competing in major sports with some of the biggest names in the country...PERIOD! This truly is our version of David and Goliath, something most of the students-athletes from small town ND experienced when they were participating in sports.

I urge as many as possible to contact friends/family who have not yet been to the FargoDome for THE EXPERIENCE of Bison football, and simply ask them to come to a game. Let the team and coaching staff do the rest.

semobison
08-17-2007, 07:13 PM
I moved to Bismarck 5 years ago after living in Fargo for 18. Both are great cities, but in my opinion Fargo has nothing on Bismarck, except, of course, the Bison!

bisonhusker
08-17-2007, 07:13 PM
I would like to thank all of the stable minded individuals who have posted on this topic. The Bison are the only show in town. The Sioux have a fun logo and D1 hockey. That is it. There is no comparison, and if they played this year, it would be embarassing....which is why I sort of wish they still played....but they chose this battle. They took their ball and went home, and now they deal with being in a lesser conference, and will struggle to recruit against us forever. Facilities, location, city....etc. It is not close. Dale Lennon has local ties, Bohl is national. The athletes that he is bringing in are unreal....and he is getting ALL of the ND kids he wants...every year. Simple. Like a close friend of mine, and Sioux supporter recently told me....I might as well quit trying to fight it, the Bison are bigtime. Thanks for allowing me to vent. Most people do not realize the quality of teams NDSU will play this year....in all sports. D1 was the only decision, and I wish we did it a long time ago.

TheDoctor
08-17-2007, 07:14 PM
Agreed! There is NO reason fo rhtem to feel inferior. Fargo welcomes one and all to the game and THE SHOW to that is the entire experience of Bison football. ;)

BisonNeil
08-17-2007, 07:17 PM
[QUOTE=(2) Bison football is very, very exciting. Other than the Cal-Davis game a couple years back, I cannot think of a recent game at the FargoDome which I would consider boring...and even that game, the tailgating was fantastic [/QUOTE]

I dunno, Concordia-St. Paul last year was a yawner in my book.

TheBisonator
08-17-2007, 07:47 PM
I dunno, Concordia-St. Paul last year was a yawner in my book.

It wasn't a yawner if you were a student. Other than the SDSU game, that game had the biggest, rowdiest student attendance all year. The line of students at the South End Zone to get in the Dome before kickoff stretched all the way to Dacotah Field, I heard. Fun time if you were a student.:)

NDSUFREAK
08-17-2007, 08:00 PM
Nice video on KX news on the Bison getting ready however, it sounds like he calls Cal Poly a DII contender. What is he talking about? :ranting:

http://www.kxmb.com/video.asp?ArticleId=152737&VideoId=12325
yeaahhh, get that guy some brains. geez..can we email someone on that??

westriver bison
08-17-2007, 09:07 PM

Any idea where the term "imperial cass" comes from?

Jim Puetz
08-17-2007, 09:22 PM
You have to keep this in mind about Bismarck and it's support for the Flickertails, it's full of doctors and lawyers that graduated from there. You can't tell those ding dongs anything, so you just have to ignore them. The other thing that fuels the UND bias in the Capital City is that Dave Kolpack moved back there. Now, Dave's a nice guy, but he's no Jeff.

Notorious
08-18-2007, 12:00 AM
I'm with you Semo. It would help to get more media coverage out here, as well as an outing with Bohl and some of the crew each year.

J.P. makes a good point, as well. There are a ton of UND grads out here that make more noise than us Bison.

Give the KX guy a break.....he made a slight error.

The funny thing about ignorance, is that you never know you're the one that's ignorant, unless someone tells you. Oh, and thanks for your comment Scooter1.

sambini
08-18-2007, 02:07 AM
The more media support the better. Congrats to KX NEWS. I know we've had Teammaker golf tourneys in Bismarck. And we didn't get good support . Coach spoke at Dickinson and Williston NDSU Experiment farms for there field days. And these events were well attended. I know if Coach has enough time he will talk about BISON football. Give Pat Simmers a call at 701-231-9555. Maybe they can line something next year. Maybe when he is on spring recruiting the state.

Scooter1
08-18-2007, 02:23 AM
I'm with you Semo. It would help to get more media coverage out here, as well as an outing with Bohl and some of the crew each year.

J.P. makes a good point, as well. There are a ton of UND grads out here that make more noise than us Bison.

Give the KX guy a break.....he made a slight error.

The funny thing about ignorance, is that you never know you're the one that's ignorant, unless someone tells you. Oh, and thanks for your comment Scooter1.

I'm sorry that the truth hurt. This engrained view of "Imperialist Fargo" is accurate, however petty it may be. I know it first hand.

bisonranch
08-18-2007, 02:34 AM
I must be lucky to work at one of the NDSU alumni dominated offices in Bismarck.

I think people here that aren't tied to UND or NDSU just get on the bandwagon of whatever's going good. I saw a lot of Bison clothing last year during the fall and football season. There was a lot of Sioux stuff out come ice-stick game finals. They're trying to push Mary here being DII. There's a little excitement, but it's just not the same.

Scooter1
08-18-2007, 02:45 AM
I truly hope that you are right, Bisonranch.:smh:

tony
08-18-2007, 10:41 AM
Bismarck has always had a lot of interest in high school and pro sports but only minimal interest in college athletics. NDSU was lucky to get anything about their preseason on TV there so I'm happy about it.

Obviously, NDSU has had much more success changing perceptions on a regional and national level than in-state. You can't just argue with the folks my age and older - we need time to come around. However, I think North Dakota's kids do get it (i.e. Dufualt).