PDA

View Full Version : August 13th Sports Illustrated - Montana State Feature

CaBisonFan
08-15-2007, 06:11 AM
First, let me say that this is not a 'smack' on Montana State. It is, rather, a very interesting 'read' about what can happen to a program, at any school, with the wrong leadership and a loss of perspective. We had a problem in the early 90s, but nothing that came even remotely close to this. It's a wake-up call for any athletic program...in this day of 'just win baby.' I would suspect that turning down the job at Montana State wasn't a seriously tough decision after taking a close look at the problems that are still evolving. Coaching football would be down the list a ways, at least in the near future.

If you don't get Sports Illustrated, I suggest that you go out and buy this one. Talk about publicity. Whoa

I looked for the article online, but haven't had any success. Maybe someone could provide a link, if there is one. To any Montana State fans...you have a great institution and a great city in Bozeman. Here's hoping (and praying) that this will pass...soon.

Hammersmith
08-15-2007, 08:22 AM
I think this is the story. I couldn't find a new SI on the news stand to confirm.

Trouble in Paradise (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/george_dohrmann/08/07/trouble.in.paradise0813/index.html)

Related stories:
From gangs to colleges (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/george_dohrmann/08/08/montana.state/index.html)
More charges against Miller (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/basketball/ncaa/08/07/bc.bkc.brf.msuarrests.m.ap/index.html)

CaBisonFan
08-15-2007, 08:40 AM
Thanks Hammersmith.

onbison09
08-15-2007, 06:29 PM
Great read. Hopefully people (the administration) wakes up in Bozeman.

Hammersmith
08-15-2007, 09:37 PM
I just hope we can prevent the same level of disaster from happening here. I think Fargo is diversified enough that NDSU will never become so important to the community that this level of criminal activity will be allowed to fester. Still, vigilance must be maintained or NDSU could end up on the national sports radar for something other than D vs G upsets.

CaBisonFan
08-16-2007, 07:13 AM
I just hope we can prevent the same level of disaster from happening here. I think Fargo is diversified enough that NDSU will never become so important to the community that this level of criminal activity will be allowed to fester. Still, vigilance must be maintained or NDSU could end up on the national sports radar for something other than D vs G upsets.

It kind of makes my heart sink...and makes me think seriously about my desire to see NDSU go for the gold, at almost any cost. I just want a high caliber of football for the students and the fans. Even though some of my previous postings don't reveal this...I believe that an annually competitive program, in any sport, is more important than a national title. A prime example would be my son's favorite baseball team...the Braves. They have maintained a very, very high standard for about 15 years without selling the farm. The Twins have been kind of like that over the past 5 years. I'm convinced that most Twins fans just want to see major league baseball...as opposed to the minor league feeling of the last teams that Calvin Griffith had.

I've grown weary of the NFL attitude about winning the Super Bowl. Almost any player that is interviewed, when asked about their goal, says; "I just wanna win the Super Bowl." It's a mentality that has evolved over time, and one that can get a program into a LOT of trouble. What about playing your heart out, being proud of your team's caliber of play, and making the fans proud? I think that this piece of the puzzle is missing in a lot of modern-day professional athletes. And at universities, the coaches simply 'must' win...or it's eventually their job. It's the culture that has taken us down this path.

If you're taking athletes that have a history of not going to class, or getting into serious trouble...then trouble it will be. I'm all for helping out a kid...but not if it means giving up the 'character' of the program and hurting the athletes that want a real college experience...young people that just want to play hard and take what comes.

onbison09
08-16-2007, 07:04 PM
I also think that Bozeman was not diversified enough for some athletes. Not a slam. I know my friend Emeka had a tough time moving to Rugby for a while and then he got into his "niche" and it was fine. Also if you get thrown out of school or the football team you probably will go back to what you have done before. Maybe at MSU they wanted to be too much like Montana. Hopefully this never happens at NDSU.

TheDoctor
08-20-2007, 05:52 AM
WOW! No wonder Dale didn't want the job! ;)