PDA

View Full Version : Four-Year Moratorium on Accepting New Members (D1)

mn-bison
08-10-2007, 03:32 PM
Here is a link from CSN, don't know if it is news to all, it was to me...

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=86721

Bison bison
08-10-2007, 04:45 PM
Dammit, a year late. :p

onbison09
08-10-2007, 05:02 PM
Well said NDB2. Why did they do that??

Bison bison
08-10-2007, 05:26 PM
Anybody notice that the rule was established by the Board of Directors with guidance from a panel who had been studying the issue. Don't they know they can't do that! :p :p :p

No_Skill
08-10-2007, 05:32 PM
Dammit, a year late. :p

Not so fast. It includes moving between the subdivisions which means that WKU would not have been able to move to FBS and that would mean no Gateway for us.

Bison bison
08-10-2007, 05:37 PM
I'll accept that trade off.

You got the time machine ready?

SDbison
08-10-2007, 06:12 PM
Not so fast. It includes moving between the subdivisions which means that WKU would not have been able to move to FBS and that would mean no Gateway for us.

So where in that article did it mention the moratorium would prevent jumping from one subdivision of DI to the other (i.e FCS to FBS)? I still think even if this action took place a year ago WKU could have moved up from FCS to FBS.
Actually, I wonder if the plan to have a moratorium was leaked a bit early and that is why UND and USD jumped when they did?

Hammersmith
08-10-2007, 07:31 PM
So where in that article did it mention the moratorium would prevent jumping from one subdivision of DI to the other (i.e FCS to FBS)? I still think even if this action took place a year ago WKU could have moved up from FCS to FBS.
Actually, I wonder if the plan to have a moratorium was leaked a bit early and that is why UND and USD jumped when they did?

Wow, I'm not the only one who went blind and missed that part at first.

The Division I Board of Directors has enacted a four-year moratorium on permitting institutions to begin the process of joining the division – an action that among other things will prevent a school from moving from another division into Division I or moving between its subdivisions until August 2011.

I really expected this to come last August. I guess 20 schools moving up in 5 years was the magic number for the big boys.

SDbison
08-10-2007, 09:24 PM
Wow, I'm not the only one who went blind and missed that part at first.

I really expected this to come last August. I guess 20 schools moving up in 5 years was the magic number for the big boys.
OK, so it said moving between subdivisions. :confused: I must of read it three times yet missed that part. Maybe I shouldn't have gone to work today! :banghead:

56BISON73
08-10-2007, 09:29 PM
I missed it also. LOL
I blame the 55 and Drive alive class Ive been at the last two days. Whew it was a cure for insomnia. but you get a 20% discount on your insurance for taking it. PL

Hammersmith
08-10-2007, 11:41 PM
I think they used invisible electronic ink. It's super secret stuff and comes in many wonderful colors and flavors.

Did I mention I was out in the sun all day?

No_Skill
08-10-2007, 11:45 PM

The Division I Board of Directors has enacted a four-year moratorium on permitting institutions to begin the process of joining the division – an action that among other things will prevent a school from moving from another division into Division I or moving between its subdivisions until August 2011.

SDbison
08-11-2007, 03:28 AM
The Division I Board of Directors has enacted a four-year moratorium on permitting institutions to begin the process of joining the division – an action that among other things will prevent a school from moving from another division into Division I or moving between its subdivisions until August 2011. OK enough......I F'ed up. I already said I was wrong! What do you want?
Too bad, now NDSU will have to wait until 2011 to move to FBS. :)

eddie
08-11-2007, 04:03 AM
although this appears to be a set in stone statement by the NCAA, it wouldn't surprise me if in the next few years an exception or two slide through. they have wavered before on topics after strong declarations... only too recently: logos and text messaging (recently revisited)... and oh, the NCAA often listens when money is talking. plus, you never know when something like Chicago State takes a dive and a lower conference needs to take action.

Shawn-O
08-11-2007, 04:14 AM
although this appears to be a set in stone statement by the NCAA, it wouldn't surprise me if in the next few years an exception or two slide through. they have wavered before on topics after strong declarations... only too recently: logos and text messaging (recently revisited)... and oh, the NCAA often listens when money is talking. plus, you never know when something like Chicago State takes a dive and a lower conference needs to take action.

Hopefully the NCAA has learned from experience, because what you're describing is exactly why they are in a pickle regarding Native American nicknames and imagery. It sounds pretty cut and dried: Paperwork in by August 9, 2007 = reclassifying. Paperwork not in = four year freeze.

Bisonguy
08-11-2007, 06:38 AM

I don't believe the NCAA has wavered on any of the previous DI moratoriums.