PDA

View Full Version : A Suggestion - Let's Stay Away from the Gopherhole

CaBisonFan
08-10-2007, 06:59 AM
Recently, I went to the Gopherhole website because of some chatter that I saw here. I wasn't too thrilled with some of the discussions between Bison & Gopher fans.

I decided to register and to try to calm the waters.

Gopher fans don't want to think of us as rivals. They're offended. That's what I took from most of what I read. I accomplished little to nothing.

I've said what I'm going to say at the Gopherhole. Nothing bad happened, but I think that smacking the Gophers and bragging about the Bison is very counterproductive. I'm not innocent of talking up the program at SU...but I think that the best way to treat Gopher fans is to simply say...

..."man, I hope that we don't get blown out this year."

Let the Bison do the talking this fall...and let the chips fall.

I'm asking a few Gopher smackers to stay away from their website...for the sake of the Bison. Let's not give the Gophers anything to post on their locker room board. Could be too late.

Seriously

Scooter1
08-10-2007, 12:54 PM
Not that this post will make any difference, but you are 100% right. The only reason to be smacking on the gopherhole is because you enjoy being a dick. Isn't this the same knock that a lot of you have with Ed Schultz? At least his reasons for being the way he is pays him money. Let's hold off on all smack until we actually beat them. Last year the players did us proud, why some of you guys would want to tarnish that respect is beyond me.

sambini
08-10-2007, 01:42 PM
Well said folks +++++

WildBill
08-10-2007, 03:45 PM
Recently, I went to the Gopherhole website because of some chatter that I saw here. I wasn't too thrilled with some of the discussions between Bison & Gopher fans.

Gopher fans don't want to think of us as rivals. They're offended. That's what I took from most of what I read. I accomplished little to nothing.

I've said what I'm going to say at the Gopherhole. Nothing bad happened, but I think that smacking the Gophers and bragging about the Bison is very counterproductive. I'm not innocent of talking up the program at SU...but I think that the best way to treat Gopher fans is to simply say...

I'm asking a few Gopher smackers to stay away from their website...for the sake of the Bison. Let's not give the Gophers anything to post on their locker room board. Could be too late.

Seriously

The problem most Gopher fans have with bison is this

1. A lot of them do like the Bison,but like the Gophers more. Lakes among others have been disrespectful of that

2. never have i seen a the losing team from the previous year talk so much smack

3.NDSU will never be considered a rival. Right or wrong when Gophers think rival,we think Big ten. That will never change no matter how much NDSU would like it to

SDbison
08-10-2007, 03:57 PM
You guys are pathetic. What is a Bison fan supposed to do, bow down to the mighty Gopher football program? Give me a break. There is nothing wrong with much of the discussion on Gopherhole. Yeah, occasionally Lakes posts have been a little too much, but that is no reason to tell everyone to not post. CaBisonFan who made you intra-message board monitor?

Scooter1
08-10-2007, 04:06 PM
You guys are pathetic. What is a Bison fan supposed to do, bow down to the mighty Gopher football program? Give me a break. There is nothing wrong with much of the discussion on Gopherhole. Yeah, occasionally Lakes posts have been a little too much, but that is no reason to tell everyone to not post. CaBisonFan who made you intra-message board monitor?

Discussion and civil postings are different from posting outrageous smack on someone else's board. Especially when we lost last year. Even you admit that some posters cross the line from time to time. The problem is that deep down, you know that what CaBisonFan and I posted is right. You just don't want to admit it. We're just saying to some of you posters... represent with class, not your ass.

WildBill
08-10-2007, 04:15 PM

No Gopher fan has ever said you should bow down. In fact,i'm willing to bet not a bad word was said about the Bison until lakes arrived.

PantherHawk
08-10-2007, 04:21 PM

1. A lot of them do like the Bison,but like the Gophers more. Lakes among others have been disrespectful of that

A: The PROBLEM is that other than the final score---1 pt margin---they rolled your a@@ on your home turf last year!

2. never have i seen a the losing team from the previous year talk so much smack
A: You need to LISTEN to the talk @ your own glass house instead of trying to SEE it........unless of course you read lips.

3.NDSU will never be considered a rival. Right or wrong when Gophers think rival,we think Big ten. That will never change no matter how much NDSU would like it to
A: It is a RIVALRY!!!! They like to keep crowing about IA, WI and MI being their chief rivals, but how in the hell can you have a RIVALRY when the other team burries your a@@ year in and year out, aside from the occaisional fluke win?????? True RIVALS play down to wire year in and year out with nailbiter finishes.......kinda like your game in the dump last year. Come on goofs, embrace your new RIVAL from next door and pray JoeyMac doesn't get you hooked up with UNI. It wouldn't be pretty for a Big 10 team to consistently get pushed around by two [I-AA] teams!! Until you stop getting mopped up every 9 out of 10 times you play IA, WI & MI, accept your true RIVALS and move on--------please, no pre-WW II recitals!

Scooter1
08-10-2007, 04:27 PM

A: The PROBLEM is that other than the final score---1 pt margin---they rolled your a@@ on your home turf last year!

A: You need to LISTEN to the talk @ your own glass house instead of trying to SEE it........unless of course you read lips.

A: It is a RIVALRY!!!! They like to keep crowing about IA, WI and MI being their chief rivals, but how in the hell can you have a RIVALRY when the other team burries your a@@ year in and year out, aside from the occaisional fluke win?????? True RIVALS play down to wire year in and year out with nailbiter finishes.......kinda like your game in the dump last year. Come on goofs, embrace your new RIVAL from next door and pray JoeyMac doesn't get you hooked up with UNI. It wouldn't be pretty for a Big 10 team to consistently get pushed around by two [I-AA] teams!! Until you stop getting mopped up every 9 out of 10 times you play IA, WI & MI, accept your true RIVALS and move on--------please, no pre-WW II recitals!

This is a prime example, not only does this guy smack the gophers on their board but on every board that he has access to. Truly a guy who enjoys showing clASS. The whole purpose of his post was to eventually get to his real adjenda...to post the lines in red.

WildBill
08-10-2007, 04:27 PM

No one one invited you to this discussion,Iowa troll.

WildBill
08-10-2007, 04:31 PM

lol,i should've known panther would show up.

onbison09
08-10-2007, 04:45 PM

Amen. I'm not saying it's not good to talk about the game but don't pretend and sit here and say we are rivals just b/c people are talking on message boards. If a bunch of Sam Houston State fans came on here and started talking smack would you say it's a rivalry?? Maybe between the fans I guess but the players no. The players are on the ones that count. I'm not saying don't get amped up for the game but one game (a loss for that matter) does a rivalry make.

CaBisonFan
08-11-2007, 07:29 AM
This is a prime example, not only does this guy smack the gophers on their board but on every board that he has access to. Truly a guy who enjoys showing clASS. The whole purpose of his post was to eventually get to his real adjenda...to post the lines in red.

Where did the writing in red come from? Was it from Gopherhole?

CaBisonFan
08-11-2007, 07:35 AM

Good posting...and I see your points. I'm the reverse of your first item. I like the Gophers, but I like the Bison more because of my upbringing in North Dakota.

I posted this topic because I've seen some of the smack, and I think that it's ridiculous...and perhaps harmful.

Minnesota may never consider NDSU to be a rival, but I believe that from the NDSU perspective, Minnesota became a rival last fall. It may be short-lived, because I think that Minnesota will drop the Bison from their schedule...and I wouldn't blame them. I think that they should get on the road and play some of the big boys in DI...like FSU, USC, LSU, Alabama, Oregon, Nebraska, Oklahoma, etc. They're in a lose-lose situation every time they play a team from a lower division. But they've been doing this for years. It creates apathy for the Minnesota fans...but I still think that playing North Dakota State is different than playing Southern Louisiana Technical Institute-Shreveport. It, at least, has some regional appeal. The proof is in the number of fans that showed up. Wasn't it their 2nd or 3rd largest gate last year?

Good points.

No_Skill
08-11-2007, 04:04 PM
Scheduling an FCS team is not "Lose - Lose".

Many programs schedule FCS teams, not because they want to forge new rivalries, but because it is a sound strategic move. Most years, it's an automatic win, and when one of your goals for the year is to reach a bowl game you need every win you can get. Does Minnesota make it to their bowl game last year if our field goal finds the uprights?

I see no reason the Gophers should drop FCS games altoghether. I don't see NDSU on the schedule ever year, but certainly a combination of midwest FCS teams.

The positives outweigh the slim possibility of a loss.

onbison09
08-11-2007, 05:02 PM
Scheduling an FCS team is not "Lose - Lose".

Many programs schedule FCS teams, not because they want to forge new rivalries, but because it is a sound strategic move. Most years, it's an automatic win, and when one of your goals for the year is to reach a bowl game you need every win you can get. Does Minnesota make it to their bowl game last year if our field goal finds the uprights?

I see no reason the Gophers should drop FCS games altoghether. I don't see NDSU on the schedule ever year, but certainly a combination of midwest FCS teams.

The positives outweigh the slim possibility of a loss.

Maybe I'm biased but I think that is also the case. It was one of the best gates of the year. And the Gophers really should beat a team like the Bison every year.

02Bison
08-11-2007, 05:26 PM
I think its fine if fans go to other boards and are respectful, but going to another team's board, being brash, saying "we should have won", etc...I think that is over the line. It may all be in "good fun", but some diehards are so serious, they don't take it that way. Actions speak louder than words and I think its best if we let the herd of Bison players do the talking themselves with their play on the field. A little humility could do some "big talkers" on these boards some good.

SDbison
08-11-2007, 06:36 PM
I think its fine if fans go to other boards and are respectful, but going to another team's board, being brash, saying "we should have won", etc...I think that is over the line. It may all be in "good fun", but some diehards are so serious, they don't take it that way. Actions speak louder than words and I think its best if we let the herd of Bison players do the talking themselves with their play on the field. A little humility could do some "big talkers" on these boards some good.
Lets get rid of this message board entirely so that "we let the herd of Bison players do the talking".
I think all you can do is ask that some people tone it down. Chances are nothing will change.

BisonSig
08-11-2007, 06:41 PM

Hmm, unless all those people on the other board are on the Gophers roster, all they are doing is talking as well. So since they won't be facing Bison players it is up to us to forewarn them of the belief that this game is a very winnable game for the Bison.

Last year was a fluke, that the Gophers won. Last year was an amazing year for the Bison, the team found ways to win, Ball State, UC Davis and SDSU can attest to that. A penalty took 6 points off the board (it was clearly a penalty), a missed field goal and A very good special teams play by the Gophers. I am not saying this as smack to the Gophers and it is crystal clear to me that there is no rivalry. The U of M is a good school with 3 to 4 times as many students as NDSU, their football program does have some fine history to it. They have produced some excellent teams and players. They will again. It is my opinion this is not the year that they will produce that excellent team.

Why? First a new coach and a tough system to learn then losing four players because of their supposed involvement in a rape.

Where as the Bison have kept their noses relatively clean, they know the coaches and the systems, they know each other and play for each other.

Lastly, if I am wrong and the Gophers beat the Bison, then their fans should be proud of the victory and all of us here will be eating humble pie.

But really this discussion should be saved until the week of Oct 20th. We have many other teams to prepare for.

Peace.

SDbison
08-11-2007, 07:19 PM
Hmm, unless all those people on the other board are on the Gophers roster, all they are doing is talking as well. So since they won't be facing Bison players it is up to us to forewarn them of the belief that this game is a very winnable game for the Bison.

Last year was a fluke, that the Gophers won. Last year was an amazing year for the Bison, the team found ways to win, Ball State, UC Davis and SDSU can attest to that. A penalty took 6 points off the board (it was clearly a penalty), a missed field goal and A very good special teams play by the Gophers. I am not saying this as smack to the Gophers and it is crystal clear to me that there is no rivalry. The U of M is a good school with 3 to 4 times as many students as NDSU, their football program does have some fine history to it. They have produced some excellent teams and players. They will again. It is my opinion this is not the year that they will produce that excellent team.

Why? First a new coach and a tough system to learn then losing four players because of their supposed involvement in a rape.

Where as the Bison have kept their noses relatively clean, they know the coaches and the systems, they know each other and play for each other.

Lastly, if I am wrong and the Gophers beat the Bison, then their fans should be proud of the victory and all of us here will be eating humble pie.

But really this discussion should be saved until the week of Oct 20th. We have many other teams to prepare for.

Peace.
Are you putting pads on for the game BisonSig? I believe the players take it one game at a time. Fans, well, we talk about what is most interesting at the moment. The Gophers discussion came up early for two reasons. First it is the biggest game of 2007 and second, Brewster got a little too cocky. Maybe some of the posts have been out of line, but this game brings up some emotion for Bison fans, and likely depression for Gopher fans. I am sure the frustration of being a fan of a Big Ten school that is mediocre for most of the past 40 years doesn't help. Also having what the Gopher fans consider a "small time school" show them up must rub salt in the wounds. I doubt very many Gopher fans really respect the tradition of Bison football. In a way many of them are envious of the success even if it has been at a lower level. In most years the Bison and their fans can appoach a season with confidence and expect a high level of competiveness. Not so much with Gopher football. I really believe if NDSU keeps up the pace in FCS they could go FBS by 2011. The game might then develop into a true rivalry.
As far as I am concerned I will talk about this game anytime something posted, or found in the news, makes it worthy. If some of you want to wait until the week of October 14th so be it. The way I see it, there will be plenty of opportunity to talk about other games and misc. topics between now and then.

TheDoctor
08-11-2007, 07:29 PM
Not that this post will make any difference, but you are 100% right. The only reason to be smacking on the gopherhole is because you enjoy being a dick. Isn't this the same knock that a lot of you have with Ed Schultz? At least his reasons for being the way he is pays him money. Let's hold off on all smack until we actually beat them. Last year the players did us proud, why some of you guys would want to tarnish that respect is beyond me.

AHMEN! ;)++++++++++++

SDbison
08-11-2007, 07:46 PM
I think you can go to Gopherhole and post without smacking. Talking about last years game and even predicting a Bison win can be done without smacking. Not everyone is so calm, cool and quiet like those who say posting anything about the Gopher game is bad. If you want to call out specific smack laden posts by Lakes or others do so. Telling everyone in general to stay away is kind of like being a control freak. Why don't you then tell all the Gopher and other teams visitors at this site to stay away. Having some occassional heated exchanges isn't all that bad. About 98% of what is posted here is pretty tame.

Scooter1
08-12-2007, 02:43 AM
Once again, I think he was saying lighten up on the smack, not stop all discussion.

"A wise old owl sat and learned the more he spoke the less he heard, the less he spoke the more he learned. Now, wasn't that a wise old bird." :nod: Katharine Hepburn- Rooster Cogburn and the Lady

CaBisonFan
08-12-2007, 05:24 AM

Peace.

I agree with you about the fluke...and who won because of it. There's really no debating it. But I 'do' think that it was one of the poorer offensive games in terms of playing in the red zone for the Bison. That tripping call was truly unbelievable. What timing. It's not called very often.

SDbison
08-12-2007, 04:04 PM
I agree with you about the fluke...and who won because of it. There's really no debating it. But I 'do' think that it was one of the poorer offensive games in terms of playing in the red zone for the Bison. That tripping call was truly unbelievable. What timing. It's not called very often.
At best the tripping (leg whip) call was questionable. If you watch the video you can see Foster fall forward and after hitting the ground flat on his stomach, his knees bend, and he brings his feet up. One could argue that was just a natural follow thru. He does not look back to align his feet with the pass rusher or "whip" his legs outward to trip. As far as I see there was nothing unnatural about his movement. Just because the rusher decided to take the quickest route over the top of Fosters body doesn't make it a trip. Hopefully the refs don't take away points again in the 2007 Gopher game. :ranting:

WildBill
08-12-2007, 04:30 PM
At best the tripping (leg whip) call was questionable. If you watch the video you can see Foster fall forward and after hitting the ground flat on his stomach, his knees bend, and he brings his feet up. One could argue that was just a natural follow thru. He does not look back to align his feet with the pass rusher or "whip" his legs outward to trip. As far as I see there was nothing unnatural about his movement. Just because the rusher decided to take the quickest route over the top of Fosters body doesn't make it a trip. Hopefully the refs don't take away points again in the 2007 Gopher game. :ranting:

Even Phil Hansen agreed it was a trip. This is what i was refering to when i commented there would always be an excuse. Even if it was unintentional,which is is very likely,it resulted in a leg whip,which is illegal. Quit being a homer,it was the correct call.

SDbison
08-12-2007, 04:30 PM
As for the game being one of the poorer offensive games in the red zone for the Bison...... I might agree with you, but after watching the game probably 10 times I think it came down 3 things.
1) Non imaginative (too conservative) play calling by NDSU coaches. Actually, the game overall was pretty vanilla. Maybe that is why the Bison executed so well between the 20 yard lines. For example, WR inside screen was run about 3 times. Steffes up the middle about a dozen times and then several sideline passes. When it came to getting 6 points things started to sputter and fizzle out. I hope overall the Bison playbook is a little bigger for the 2007 game.
2) Lack of execution by NDSU players. Maybe things were going so well and there wasn't an extra effort to get the job done in the red zone? One missed field goal that hit the upright and a jumping offsides at a critical time didn't help.
3) Gopher defense bent but did not break. This is an area I truly give Minnesota credit for in this game. Maybe some of the talent advantage that Minnesota was supposed to have showed when the field shrunk in the red zone. Possibly Minnesota had some pride and rose to the occasion better than NDSU.
Tip to NDSU players and coaches........for 2007 it will be even tougher to score against Minnesota. Both coaches and players need to bring their A+ game when scoring opportunities arise.

Bison bison
08-13-2007, 01:55 PM
I agree the game was pretty vanilla.

The crazy thing was that we were beating gofer hinny with that vanilla baloney.

tcbison
10-12-2007, 03:41 PM

Seriously

CaBisonfan,
Not trying to stir the pot or anything(I think you are a nice guy and all) but what happened to this post where you said to stay away from Gopherhole? You just posted 23 messages in the same thread?

SDbison
10-12-2007, 04:23 PM
CaBisonfan,
Not trying to stir the pot or anything(I think you are a nice guy and all) but what happened to this post where you said to stay away from Gopherhole? You just posted 23 messages in the same thread?
Nice catch tc......lol

lakesbison
10-12-2007, 04:26 PM
Hey. . Why Are YOU resurrecting this thread? ? dam! we should be ALL over da gopherhole! ! we are a RIVAL!

aces1180
10-12-2007, 04:44 PM
Hey. . Why Are YOU resurrecting this thread? ? dam! we should be ALL over da gopherhole! ! we are a RIVAL!

We've played Stephen F. Austin twice in football...Does that make us their rival too? I think its fun to go to the gopherhole, but we are not rivals with them.

bisonmike2
10-12-2007, 04:45 PM

I don't really want to get into to it but we are not a rival. We would like to be their rival but right now we do not compete with them on a consistent basis. 2 years in a row doesn't qualify us yet and to date we have yet to beat them. Plus their resources are on a completely different level. We don't compete for recruits. That take what they want. We do make them look stupid for passing over certain guys (Dahl, Humber, etc) but for the most part it's not close. I'm going to treat the gopherhole like I treat siouxsports. Avoid at all cost. Any contact can be detremental to your intelligence and well being.

tcbison
10-12-2007, 05:44 PM

Because I found it quite odd that CaBisonfan started a thread here about not posting on Gopherhole and then he goes over there and posts 23 times in the same thread. I guess when someone says one thing and does another I think it is worth questioning. :hide:

lakesbison
10-12-2007, 07:49 PM
Tcbison. . . Yea He Makes Me Look Tame There. . . I Think Its A Rivalry When Over HALF their stadium is our fans. .

THEsocalledfan
10-12-2007, 08:01 PM
Tcbison. . . Yea He Makes Me Look Tame There. . . I Think Its A Rivalry When Over HALF their stadium is our fans. .

Reminder, true rivalry has to be two ways and multiple sports. This is as dumb as the Trucks saying they are the Gophers big rival. Gophs true rival is Wisconsin.

bisonmike2
10-12-2007, 08:03 PM

ok, now that's a good point.

WildBill
10-12-2007, 10:52 PM
ok, now that's a good point.

Anyone with money can buy a ticket. Doesn't make it a rivalry

semobison
10-13-2007, 01:01 PM
Lets see, they play Michigan for the Jug, Wisconson for the Axe. I know their students are really getting up for the NDSU game. Whats the trophy? Rivalry...LMAO

IBleedYellow
10-13-2007, 03:35 PM

Ed Schultz can go up North where he belongs.

But on topic, I believe that we should just let the teams fight it out on the field. How immauter are you going to be to just yell at each other over the internet? I mean comon, seriously, we're older than a 12 year old here.

1bizon1
10-13-2007, 05:10 PM
Because I found it quite odd that CaBisonfan started a thread here about not posting on Gopherhole and then he goes over there and posts 23 times in the same thread. I guess when someone says one thing and does another I think it is worth questioning. :hide:

If you go back and read CaBisonFan's first post you will see that he was on GopherHole. He stated that and he also meant that everyone should stay away with the smack. He did not start this post, then go over to the "Hole."

Why again is everyone trying to trump the person he does not agree with? It's all just personal opinion, no more, no less. Then to start with name calling because you do not agree with someone is....just plain stupid.

Like a few others have said, let the players do the talking with their play on the field and everyone else stick to civil discussions when this game rolls around, NEXT WEEK. WE all cheer for the Green and Gold don't we???? For now let's all sit back, listen and enjoy another Bison victory at M.S.V.S.

56BISON73
10-13-2007, 05:19 PM
One only has to look at WHO is behaving badly. Now does their behavior surprise anyone??? PL

CaBisonFan
10-13-2007, 07:10 PM
CaBisonfan,

You have your point...but when the smack became personal, and not related to football...I couldn't resist poking some real fun at this idiot. If you read my postings, they have nothing to say about Gopher football. They mostly defend the state and people of North Dakota. I got on a roll that night, and I probably shouldn't have.

Anything that I wrote about Gopher sports was positive and supportive. Said that I was a Gopher fan...and I meant it.

CaBisonFan
10-13-2007, 07:12 PM
Nice catch tc......lol

Read the posts tc. There's no Gopher smack. It became personal. I poked fun at one idiot that was bashing the state and its people.

But you have your point. I forgot to apply my own rule.

CaBisonFan
10-13-2007, 07:14 PM
We've played Stephen F. Austin twice in football...Does that make us their rival too? I think its fun to go to the gopherhole, but we are not rivals with them.

I was having fun with an idiot that was bashing the entire state of North Dakota. Probably wasn't a good idea...in hindsight...but I didn't smack Gopher sports or Minnesota. I did the opposite. I went over there just to see what was going on...not to comment. But this guy was too ripe.

In hindsight...wish I hadn't done it. It was a late-night brain fart.

No_Skill
10-13-2007, 08:18 PM
I was having fun with an idiot that was bashing the entire state of North Dakota. Probably wasn't a good idea...in hindsight...but I didn't smack Gopher sports or Minnesota. I did the opposite. I went over there just to see what was going on...not to comment. But this guy was too ripe.

In hindsight...wish I hadn't done it. It was a late-night brain fart.

I've been there before...;)

CaBisonFan
10-13-2007, 08:27 PM
I've been there before...;)

thanks...I'd had a couple of beers, was up late, and lost my cool.

My bad.

56BISON73
10-13-2007, 08:40 PM
thanks...I'd had a couple of beers, was up late, and lost my cool.

My bad.

CA one could see you were just having fun and I didnt see any trash talking.
Some slob fans go over the line. You didnt from what I could tell. PL