PDA

View Full Version : BSA Renovation

Swat_Team10
08-07-2007, 04:34 PM
Since I have returned to Fargo, I have not heard (or seen)anything about BSA renovations. Is there any updates being done yet?

roadwarrior
08-07-2007, 05:08 PM
Nothing has been done. The architects are working on finishing the detailed designs but more money is needed before going forward. Does anyone have an extra million or two laying around?

MN_BISON
08-07-2007, 08:17 PM
Yeah if all goes well tomorrow night I'll have an extra 141 million on hand minus taxes and cash out option and could probably lend a helping hand towards the project.

onbison09
08-07-2007, 08:40 PM
How bout just tear the place down and build a new one?? They're going to have to eventually and I don't see why sinking money into is going to do anything. That's just me.

Hammersmith
08-07-2007, 09:10 PM
Yeah if all goes well tomorrow night I'll have an extra 141 million on hand minus taxes and cash out option and could probably lend a helping hand towards the project.

You too? :nod: :nod:

Hammersmith
08-07-2007, 09:12 PM
How bout just tear the place down and build a new one?? They're going to have to eventually and I don't see why sinking money into is going to do anything. That's just me.

It's the difference between $18-25 mil for the renovation versus $60-75 mil for a new facility.

Swat_Team10
08-07-2007, 10:07 PM
I think anybody who has stepped into the Bison Sports Arena, outside of a game day, knows what a dump it is. So it is hard for the majority of people to understand, or should I say visualize a patch job renovation ,doing any good. If we have no issue spending on godley amounts on football office and meeting rooms, why are we now worried about a basketball arena. In my eyes its an investmant for the College.

It would be nice to get another "jewel" in place on campus. It must be hard for the athletic administration & coaches to do any buisiness there with how rough-shape it is. Let alone recruit to it, so we can win games, put more people in the stands, make more money and take a money making sport like basketball to much much higher levels. Did I say investment already. It has to happen soon, the place is a joke.

Hammersmith
08-07-2007, 11:01 PM
I think anybody who has stepped into the Bison Sports Arena, outside of a game day, knows what a dump it is. So it is hard for the majority of people to understand, or should I say visualize a patch job renovation ,doing any good. If we have no issue spending on godley amounts on football office and meeting rooms, why are we now worried about a basketball arena. In my eyes its an investmant for the College.

It would be nice to get another "jewel" in place on campus. It must be hard for the athletic administration & coaches to do any buisiness there with how rough-shape it is. Let alone recruit to it, so we can win games, put more people in the stands, make more money and take a money making sport like basketball to much much higher levels. Did I say investment already. It has to happen soon, the place is a joke.

But the planned renovation will not be a patch job, it's going to be a gut and rebuild. Pretty much everything west of the main arena will be stripped to the steel and completely reconfigured. The swimming pool will be removed and the room horizontally partitioned to create more second floor space. Two new basketball practice courts will be added to the SW corner of the building and they will adjoin all-new BB locker rooms. There will also be a small addition on the NW corner that will wrap around the west side and provide some access to the two new football practice fields that will run north-south over the old Dacotah Field. The main arena will undergo a less dramatic renovation with the replacement of the seating, new glass upper sections on the south (and north?) walls, and an all-new floor which will include a hydraulically banked track. There is also the possibility for a narrow addition along the east wall which would include storage or specially training facilities(indoor batting?) on the ground floor and main arena luxury boxes above.

So what's the holdup? Well, first, NDSU must wait until the city makes up its mind about a Fargodome expansion. If that goes through, the luxury boxes and some other basketball amenities will not be needed and a little less cash will be required. Also, the previous renovation plan(the 2 phase/$16M plan) was not as aggressive as this new one, which will require much more money(~$25M) It's possible the newer plan can also be done in phases, but they won't be equal in cost like the old plan, and the first phase will be the most expensive. As of now, NDSU has raised around $9M for the project, but I'd figure $15M+ will be needed before work on this new plan can begin. Would you like to guess how long it would take to raise the $60-75M needed before construction of a brand-new all-sports facility could begin?

roadwarrior
08-07-2007, 11:57 PM
I wish they would get some of the proposed work on the BSA in a format that could be put on gobison.com, so that those that have not seen the plans can understand the purpose of the renovations.

Good job on the summary, Hammersmith!

KC_Hats
08-08-2007, 02:20 AM
I agree. I believe everyone will be pleasantly surprised when the renovations are complete. This renovation also benefits all programs instead of a select few.

NDSUstudent
08-08-2007, 02:32 AM
As long as the Dome addition happens I don't care how much the schools puts into the BSA. As long as the basketball team gets it OWN new facility I will be happy.

Swat_Team10
08-08-2007, 10:14 PM
Hammersmith, Thank you for the input. Great info! When is the dome going to decide? Is this truley what NDSU is waiting for?

roadwarrior
08-08-2007, 10:44 PM
The Fargodome hired an architect earlier this summer to look into the project and come up with preliminary plans and costs. This information is due back to the Dome Authority by October. At that time, they will decide if they can proceed with the project. City commission approval is also necessary.

NDSU and the Fargodome will partner on the construction costs of the new arena, if built. In my opinion, this is by far the best option available to NDSU. Any work on the basketball portion of the BSA will not end up as nice as this new facility would be.

Much of the proposed work to the BSA has nothing to do with the actual basketball arena portion.

SirHinn
08-09-2007, 03:38 AM
The Fargodome hired an architect earlier this summer to look into the project and come up with preliminary plans and costs. This information is due back to the Dome Authority by October. At that time, they will decide if they can proceed with the project. City commission approval is also necessary.

NDSU and the Fargodome will partner on the construction costs of the new arena, if built. In my opinion, this is by far the best option available to NDSU. Any work on the basketball portion of the BSA will not end up as nice as this new facility would be.

Much of the proposed work to the BSA has nothing to do with the actual basketball arena portion.

Thanks for the info.

sambini
08-10-2007, 02:18 AM

Thanks Road+++