PDA

View Full Version : University to the North gets into Great West

onbison09
08-03-2007, 10:18 PM
Saw on the Forum "blog" the University to the North got into the great west for 2008. We will be gone by then. This was expected and I don't think anyone will care but it's official. Good luck finding games.

UND and NDSU are back in the same league, at least for a few days so to speak. The Sioux, as expected, joined the Great West Football Conference for the 2008 season -- the same year NDSU will begin play in the Gateway Football Conference.

It's obviously a good move, the only move, for the Sioux. So how will they find a league for their other sports?

It looks to be an uphill battle. The Summit League appears to be somewhat settled and the Big Sky Conference is in no mood to come east. Plus, UND may have some competition to get into a league that NDSU and SDSU didn't have. Southern Illinois-Edwardsville is making the D-I move and Utah Valley (Southern Utah travel partner?) will be D-I eligible in a couple of years.

But one thing we've learned on these conference searches is leagues change, especially the mid-majors. Stable one day, looking for members the next. It looked bleak for NDSU after the Big Sky rejected it. But it wasn't long before the Mid-Con (now the Summit) saw two members leave in Chicago State and Valparaiso and NDSU suddenly had hope again to shed independent status.

So the key is to make the jump and hope for conference defections. It's a risk, but one that has to be made.

Tatanka
08-03-2007, 11:16 PM
Is this the same "fake" conference that we kept hearing about from the northern types a few years ago?:blush: Hmmmm.

http://www.wcsv.org/Education/Success/crow.jpg
CAW!!!!!

NDSUFREAK
08-03-2007, 11:56 PM
Is this the same "fake" conference that we kept hearing about from the northern types a few years ago?:blush: Hmmmm.

CAW!!!!!

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Gully
08-04-2007, 02:36 AM
It works great for them that they can have our spot as we move up to a higher profile conference.

Perhaps they'll get our spot in the Summit when we move up to the Missouri Valley?

onbison09
08-04-2007, 03:24 AM
It works great for them that they can have our spot as we move up to a higher profile conference.

Perhaps they'll get our spot in the Summit when we move up to the Missouri Valley?

That sounds good.

sambini
08-04-2007, 04:33 AM

CAW!!!!!

MY OH MY how times have changed

NDSU1980
08-05-2007, 01:18 PM
Don't you think Cal Poly and Davis will find a real conference on the west coast and leave the Great West? I think everyone has always viewed the GW as nothing more then a holding room until something better came along.

sambini
08-05-2007, 03:56 PM
Slo Stang what do you hear out west?

Bisonguy
08-05-2007, 03:58 PM
Don't you think Cal Poly and Davis will find a real conference on the west coast and leave the Great West? I think everyone has always viewed the GW as nothing more then a holding room until something better came along.

What real conference on the west coast?

They both are members in the Big West for all other sports, which is essentially a California bus conference. They both turned down invitations to the Big Sky, which is the only other western FCS conference.

Cal-Poly and UC-Davis would probably end up as independents in football if the Great West ends.

Shawn-O
08-06-2007, 09:15 PM

CAW!!!!!

That UNDDD logo would look very nice as a patch on your Sioux hockey jersey. :eek: :D

Bison Dan
08-06-2007, 11:07 PM
That UNDDD logo would look very nice as a patch on your Sioux hockey jersey. :eek: :D

Hey Shawn what's with the lack of interest in sioux fb this year - no marketing, no interest on the sioux board (about 5 post since fb practice started and the Bison board has 100's)

Tatanka
08-07-2007, 02:42 PM

why, yes it would! Great suggestion!

Actually it is rather difficult to separate my deep appreciation for the hockies from the ridiculous administration of the school that sponsors the closest team... this would be a fine way to express both.

PS... thanks for blowing my cover!!! :)

TheDoctor
08-20-2007, 05:54 AM
Good luck with our leftovers! btw- were NOT quite done yet! ;)