PDA

View Full Version : Central Michigan fans. hehe

lakesbison
08-03-2007, 01:08 AM
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=340#S=340&F=2793&T=503493&P=1

gotta love these predictions.

NDSU W- We Roll (thats my favorite so far) and the YAWN icon.

actually the first 1-2 posters state that NDSU is a tough tough game.

Bison bison
08-03-2007, 01:45 AM
Ah, yes.

The first ever Buffalo Chip Bowl.

I can hardly wait.

lakesbison
08-03-2007, 03:22 AM
Dam. They Got Sum Cockiness! Should Be Fun.

Hart
08-03-2007, 03:31 AM
It'll be an interesting game for sure, and I feel that Minnesota is an overall better program than Central Michigan, and we were competitive with them last year, so I'd like to think we'd be competitive with the kind of quality we have on this team this year with Central Michigan.

I don't know if we'll win the game, but I think it'll be a pretty close one. Central Michigan lost their three best players on their team last year in Staley, Bazuin and Mormino, so maybe with some losses to their lines, we can beat them in the trenches.

onbison09
08-03-2007, 03:44 AM
CMU is a better program than Minnesota. (Minnesota under Mason anyway) I think the fans will be suprised once the game starts. :) Most of them are giving us props though. Most are calling it a trap game. For them to say that is pretty good as far as I'm concerned. I think that's what Minnesota fans thought before the game. It's going to be a tough one but we've had those before.

Hart
08-03-2007, 03:47 AM
CMU is a better program than Minnesota. (Minnesota under Mason anyway) I think the fans will be suprised once the game starts. :) I think that's what Minnesota fans thought before the game. It's going to be a tough one but we've had those before.

Minnesota under Mason, that's all you had to say.

I'm really worried about what Pinnix might due to us this year. He didn't reach 100 yards last year, but I have my concerns. Dude is a man.

Bison Dan
08-03-2007, 12:13 PM

I'm really worried about what Pinnix might due to us this year. He didn't reach 100 yards last year, but I have my concerns. Dude is a man.

We have better men.

Bisonguy
08-03-2007, 02:54 PM
Doesn't CMU have a new coach this year?

BisonNeil
08-03-2007, 03:09 PM
It'll be an interesting game for sure, and I feel that Minnesota is an overall better program than Central Michigan, and we were competitive with them last year, so I'd like to think we'd be competitive with the kind of quality we have on this team this year with Central Michigan.

I don't know if we'll win the game, but I think it'll be a pretty close one. Central Michigan lost their three best players on their team last year in Staley, Bazuin and Mormino, so maybe with some losses to their lines, we can beat them in the trenches.

We lost five excellent players; Steffes, Frick, Dahl, White and Erickson. I think our losses are even more significant than theirs in term of experience and production.

The intangible is they have a new coaching staff and since this is the third game of the year, they may not be used to a new system. We, on the other hand, have some serious holes to fill. OL and WR will likely be fine, but SS is going to have a serious drop off and TB is just unkown. Yes, I know, our OL will dominate, but you still have to miss some tacklers to get yardage.

I just hope we are competitive in both FBS games.

mn-bison
08-03-2007, 03:14 PM

Aren't the Gophers going to a spread offense? More passing than running? Pinnix getting fewer carries than last year? I thought I had heard/read that about the new Gophers offense...

Bison06
08-03-2007, 03:31 PM
We lost five excellent players; Steffes, Frick, Dahl, White and Erickson. I think our losses are even more significant than theirs in term of experience and production.

The intangible is they have a new coaching staff and since this is the third game of the year, they may not be used to a new system. We, on the other hand, have some serious holes to fill. OL and WR will likely be fine, but SS is going to have a serious drop off and TB is just unkown. Yes, I know, our OL will dominate, but you still have to miss some tacklers to get yardage.

The only players I am worried about replacing are Dahl and Frick. Not to take anything away from these other players, but our oline will be better than last year, Kyle can't be replaced but we have many excellent players to pick up the slack, again Travis can't really be replaced but we have a damn good receiving corp coached by one of the best in the biz, IMO.
SS is the heart of our defensive scheme. Our SS needs to be a dude, I don't know if we have that in Belmont. Time will tell. Frick kept OC's up at night. So I'm not too worried offensively, we'll have to wait and see how our guys on defense develop.

BisonSig
08-03-2007, 04:02 PM
Doesn't CMU have a new coach this year?

Yes they do.

http://www.cmuchippewas.com/attachments1/3990.pdf?SPSID=54456&SPID=4199&DB_OEM_ID=10500

tcbison
08-03-2007, 04:12 PM

In the Bohl era I can only think of one game that the Bison were not competitive and that was Cal Poly in 2006. I think this staff and players really like playing up to the competition. I don't know why that would change for this year. I think Pat Perless and Willie Mack Garza are excellent coordinators.

Bison bison
08-03-2007, 04:16 PM
my god that was a blood bath.

X-Factor
08-03-2007, 06:50 PM

Please, whatever crack you are smoking, give me a hit of it because it must be REALLY good stuff.

onbison09
08-03-2007, 09:37 PM
CMU's fans showed us respect but they called us "North Dakota". Now that is an embarassment to the Bison.

Hart
08-04-2007, 12:28 AM
You better go put them in line, internet style!

TheDoctor
08-04-2007, 05:55 AM
I like you avatar and signature Hart. Although, I am not a fan of the "alternative" logo. ;)

BisonNeil
08-04-2007, 09:21 PM
Please, whatever crack you are smoking, give me a hit of it because it must be REALLY good stuff.

Perhaps you, X man, should take off your rose-colored glasses. If you where in Iraq, you'd probably be ready to strap on a bomb and take one for Allah. My concerns at TB and SS are legit, esp in the later case.

Bison06
08-06-2007, 04:38 PM
Perhaps you, X man, should take off your rose-colored glasses. If you where in Iraq, you'd probably be ready to strap on a bomb and take one for Allah. My concerns at TB and SS are legit, esp in the later case.

100% agree, SS is by far the biggest question coming into this season. If you want proof take a look back at some games from the past 2-3 years. Craig Dahl was not appreciated by fans as much as he should have been, he made the extraordinary look commonplace. I hope I am wrong, but I think you will see this year how much Craig really meant to this defense. I realize we have great players at many positions, but I have said this before and I'll say it now, ask any linebacker on our current team, the ball is funneled to the SS. We play gap football on defense, this means we have a guy in every gap they could possibly go to, and the last one is filled by the SS who is a little late to the party since he starts deeper than the linebackers. The hole looks open to the RB so they usually choose it. The SS needs to be able to make that play or we are gashed for a big gain. I hope Belmont can be the next guy but he'll need to prove it.

X-Factor
08-06-2007, 05:38 PM
I understand the concern over TB and SS, but seriously, do you honestly think these guys are not ready to play? The TB position is a lot less scary now than it was last fall. We had absolutely no depth behind Steffes which is exactly the opposite case now despite not having a returning 1000+ rusher. Belmont wasn't at the level Craig Dahl was at this spring, and probably wont be this fall either, but IMO he did just fine in the spring game and from what I saw and it wasn't a position that obviously lacked talent. Think of it this way, he is wedged between 3 all-american caliber linebackers and a really good free safety. With that kind of talent surrounding him things are going to work out just fine and he will have time to grow into the position. My concern with Belmont isn't his rush defense, but rather his coverage ability. I thought he did a good job against the run in the spring game, but I just didn't catch enough plays in coverage to get any ideas one way or another.

I don't have any agenda or point to make with this next part other than just to ask the question. If the SS gets the ball funneled to them (and I believe you), then why didn't the SS get the most tackles last fall?

Ramon Humber 67
Joe Mays 67
Craig Dahl 61
Mike Maresh 56
Justin Frick 39
Nick Schommer 36

OldBison
08-06-2007, 05:48 PM
I understand the concern over TB and SS, but seriously, do you honestly think these guys are not ready to play? The TB position is a lot less scary now than it was last fall. We had absolutely no depth behind Steffes which is exactly the opposite case now despite not having a returning 1000+ rusher.

I have seen lots of posters extolling the virtue of our TB depth, as indicated here, we had "absolutely no depth behind Steffes" last year, but now all of a sudden we are rich in TB depth.

How? By virtue of moving a FB to TB? By virtue of Blincoe being one year older (but still pathetic in the spring game)? By virtue of Paschall or incoming freshman on the team that haven't played a down of college football on game day? By Chapman "I fall down at the first sign of bad breath in a would be tackler" coming back?

This is very interesting to me, the Bison have developed this new found depth at the tailback position that was so lacking in 2006. Warm bodies, I agree; but quality depth, we'll see.

Bison06
08-06-2007, 08:29 PM
I understand the concern over TB and SS, but seriously, do you honestly think these guys are not ready to play? The TB position is a lot less scary now than it was last fall. We had absolutely no depth behind Steffes which is exactly the opposite case now despite not having a returning 1000+ rusher. Belmont wasn't at the level Craig Dahl was at this spring, and probably wont be this fall either, but IMO he did just fine in the spring game and from what I saw and it wasn't a position that obviously lacked talent. Think of it this way, he is wedged between 3 all-american caliber linebackers and a really good free safety. With that kind of talent surrounding him things are going to work out just fine and he will have time to grow into the position. My concern with Belmont isn't his rush defense, but rather his coverage ability. I thought he did a good job against the run in the spring game, but I just didn't catch enough plays in coverage to get any ideas one way or another.

I don't have any agenda or point to make with this next part other than just to ask the question. If the SS gets the ball funneled to them (and I believe you), then why didn't the SS get the most tackles last fall?

Ramon Humber 67
Joe Mays 67
Craig Dahl 61
Mike Maresh 56
Justin Frick 39
Nick Schommer 36

I do think that Belmont will be ready to play, he is just unproven. Also, it will undoubtedly be a drop off from last year, more due to who left than to Belmont's lack of talent. These are the only concerns I have, if our coaches trust him back there then so do I. With regard to your last question, I was referring to our base package when the SS is our 8th man in the box. This is not the only set we have and as such he is not always up at the line making plays, he is back in two deep coverage. I would attribute his lower number of tackles to that and our linebackers are so good the RB doesn't always get the chance to get to that open gap. Which is a GREAT problem to have.

Bison06
08-06-2007, 08:36 PM
I have seen lots of posters extolling the virtue of our TB depth, as indicated here, we had "absolutely no depth behind Steffes" last year, but now all of a sudden we are rich in TB depth.

How? By virtue of moving a FB to TB? By virtue of Blincoe being one year older (but still pathetic in the spring game)? By virtue of Paschall or incoming freshman on the team that haven't played a down of college football on game day? By Chapman "I fall down at the first sign of bad breath in a would be tackler" coming back?

This is very interesting to me, the Bison have developed this new found depth at the tailback position that was so lacking in 2006. Warm bodies, I agree; but quality depth, we'll see.

I can't speak for any of the other guys you mentioned, but I can say the Cinque is not the pansy you seem to be making him out to be. Runs very hard with the ball in his hands and I for one am glad he is back on the team.

X-Factor
08-06-2007, 09:34 PM

There is a huge difference in depth. I guess we will have to wait a few more weeks to see how it all shakes out in the depth chart, but there are many more contenders as compared to pretenders like you say. I really thought Brower emerged this spring with the potential to even be the starter by fall. I never thought he had that capability before because he was still trying to grasp the offense from being moved over from linebacker. Now he has been practicing at that position for a while and proved to me he can get things done at least as a quality backup in the spring game. It is truly amazing what only 1 year can do.
Case in point:
CP 37 NDSU 6

NDSU 51 CP 14

lakesbison
08-06-2007, 09:39 PM
what about CMU? NDSU 28 CMU 24 close battle??

BisonNeil
08-06-2007, 10:44 PM
There is a huge difference in depth. I guess we will have to wait a few more weeks to see how it all shakes out in the depth chart, but there are many more contenders as compared to pretenders like you say. I really thought Brower emerged this spring with the potential to even be the starter by fall. I never thought he had that capability before because he was still trying to grasp the offense from being moved over from linebacker. Now he has been practicing at that position for a while and proved to me he can get things done at least as a quality backup in the spring game. It is truly amazing what only 1 year can do.
Case in point:
CP 37 NDSU 6

NDSU 51 CP 14

I agree with your comments regarding Brower. If he runs this fall in camp like he did in the spring game, I would think he will rise mightily in the depth chart.

I also agree that one year makes a difference. I remember when Chris Simdorn was QB, we won a National Championship in '88. Then we lose Favor, Snuffy and a few key other players to graduation, like losing Steffes, Frick and Dahl, and the Bison struggled mightly in '89.

The point here is this: just because we kicked ass in 06 does not relate to what may happen in 07. Yes, we have a lot of talent in many positions, but we have some holes to fill, TB is one of them, SS is the other.

One year makes a hell of a difference, and no two years are related, unless of course you have Jeff Bentrim, Chad Stark and Molstre

X-Factor
08-07-2007, 03:37 AM
Fresh off the press WDay news at 10:

Colvin out for season (knee injury)
Parsons working out as WR
Bohl likes his depth at Tailback and commented on Paschal's speed. Says 6 guys are in the mix for playing time.

SDbison
08-07-2007, 04:35 AM
Back to the topic..............I really think Central Michigan will be a bigger test for the Bison than Minnesota. First of all it will be a true away game as compared to the October 20th game at FFD2. Also, the Central Michigan game is much earlier in the season and there may be some positions that are still not firmed up yet. I could see losing this game in a close battle, but coming back and soundly beating Minnesota. Just my thoughts...........

Herd
08-07-2007, 03:01 PM
Back to the topic..............I really think Central Michigan will be a bigger test for the Bison than Minnesota. First of all it will be a true away game as compared to the October 20th game at FFD2. Also, the Central Michigan game is much earlier in the season and there may be some positions that are still not firmed up yet. I could see losing this game in a close battle, but coming back and soundly beating Minnesota. Just my thoughts...........

Politely I will say, you are dead wrong that CMU will be anything close to the test that we will get from MN. The atmosphere and the play on the field will not be close to the caliber of the gopher game. I believe that this is a very nieve statement. We are talking about a MAC team.

Only time will, and I appreciate your perspective.

Trim
08-07-2007, 03:47 PM
what about CMU? NDSU 28 CMU 24 close battle??

I hope so my man! Because if it is, it will be a beautiful day for me, my son, brother, and nephews as we sit on the 50-yard line in wonderful Mt. Pleasant, Michigan!

X-Factor
08-07-2007, 04:00 PM
Politely I will say, you are dead wrong that CMU will be anything close to the test that we will get from MN. The atmosphere and the play on the field will not be close to the caliber of the gopher game. I believe that this is a very nieve statement. We are talking about a MAC team.

Only time will, and I appreciate your perspective.

top end MAC vs. bottom dweller BigTen? Who knows.....

I not sure if CMU is going to live up to the hype of winning the MAC again, but we all know the Goofs will live up to their prognostication!

Both should be excellent games!

SDbison
08-07-2007, 06:37 PM
top end MAC vs. bottom dweller BigTen? Who knows.....

I not sure if CMU is going to live up to the hype of winning the MAC again, but we all know the Goofs will live up to their prognostication!

Both should be excellent games!
Well said X-Factor! :bow: