PDA

View Full Version : No more Gophers

Goldy93
08-01-2007, 08:21 PM
As a Gophers fan, I am ambivalent about NDSU coming off the schedule. Coach Brewster's statement that recruits are interested in a teams OOC games is absolutely true and you can see it from reading their interviews. They want to go to a team that plays against teams like Texas, Notre Dame, USC, Oregon, Nebraksa and other BCS conference schools in nonconference play.

However, this does not mean all OOC games have to be against such teams. I see nothing wrong with keeping NDSU on, and taking FAU or a similar team off. I guess I just do not care who is on the schedule, but I do think the level of competition has to be increased by scheduling more BCS schools in OOC games. Doesn't Coach Bohl have some saying about competition bringing out the best in players?

In any event, I am looking forward to the NDSU game. It should be fun.

TransAmBison
08-01-2007, 08:35 PM
As a Gophers fan, I am ambivalent about NDSU coming off the schedule. Coach Brewster's statement that recruits are interested in a teams OOC games is absolutely true and you can see it from reading their interviews. They want to go to a team that plays against teams like Texas, Notre Dame, USC, Oregon, Nebraksa and other BCS conference schools in nonconference play.

However, this does not mean all OOC games have to be against such teams. I see nothing wrong with keeping NDSU on, and taking FAU or a similar team off. I guess I just do not care who is on the schedule, but I do think the level of competition has to be increased by scheduling more BCS schools in OOC games. Doesn't Coach Bohl have some saying about competition bringing out the best in players?

Fair enough.

tcbison
08-01-2007, 08:46 PM

If Minnesota takes NDSU off their schedule that is fine with me. There are plenty of other schools looking for a home game that NDSU can schedule. :nod:

The thing that Brewster should know is that Montana State and SDSU are currently on Minnesota's schedule for 2008 and 2009. Plus you can't play all your games on the road, you will need home games and I doubt that Texas, Notre Dame, USC will come to Minnesota first(or at all). All I can say is good luck getting on their schedule and getting a home game out of it.

MRBISON
08-01-2007, 08:52 PM
Is there a link available with information about what Brewster said concerning NDSU?

Bison bison
08-01-2007, 10:14 PM
The problem is that Brewster's stance (hot air?) is illogical

1) Minnesota needs to build its program. It ain't gonna do so against Texas.

2) Minnesota needs to win to get to bowl games. It ain't gonna do so against Alabama.

3) Minnesota benefits from drawing well at home.

It makes absolutely perfect sense for Minnesota to look to the folks in Fargo for an example.

Play a top 25 OOC team, play a FBS team-NDSU, SDSU, UNI fit the bill. Probably lose playing up, should win playing down. Make some $$$ at home. Definitely quit playing MAC and Sun Belt teams (whoops that was the B10 office's idea:( ).

[Our version is play a FCS and Mississippi Valley State.]

Brewster's condescending arrogance and complete abscence of a win as either a head coach or coordinator is off-putting to many upper midwesterners.

SDbison
08-02-2007, 01:35 AM
The problem is that Brewster's stance (hot air?) is illogical

1) Minnesota needs to build its program. It ain't gonna do so against Texas.

2) Minnesota needs to win to get to bowl games. It ain't gonna do so against Alabama.

3) Minnesota benefits from drawing well at home.

It makes absolutely perfect sense for Minnesota to look to the folks in Fargo for an example.

Play a top 25 OOC team, play a FBS team-NDSU, SDSU, UNI fit the bill. Probably lose playing up, should win playing down. Make some $$$ at home. Definitely quit playing MAC and Sun Belt teams (whoops that was the B10 office's idea:( ).

[Our version is play a FCS and Mississippi Valley State.]

Brewster's condescending arrogance and complete abscence of a win as either a head coach or coordinator is off-putting to many upper midwesterners.
Exactly my thoughts. If Brewster was intersested in buiilding the Gopher program back to some position of success he would work on doing exactly that. Promising a trip to the Rose Bowl in a couple years is total BS.

Herd
08-02-2007, 03:14 AM
Let's see, you play 4 OOC games and 8 conf games. If Brewster wants to play all 4 OOC games against teams from the top conferences, more power to him. He will never get 6 wins however.

In reality, the gophers will be scheduling 1 top conference team, and 3 mid-level or lower teams. That is just reality and all the Big Ten schools do it. If Brewster is singling out NDSU as an example of who the gophers do not want to play, then, IMO it is personal because we are recruiting in their backyard. There is no difference stregth wise for the gophers to play MAC, Sunbelt or NDSU. No difference that is, except for a full stadium.

Brewster's statements do not reflect reality and don't make any sense. You simply do not play 4 top level team OOC, you just don't. He is full of himself and hot air IMO. His comments toward NDSU are sour grapes to last year's game. If the gopher don't want to play NDSU, really that is fine. We will find other Big Ten/Big 12 teams that will play us.

PantherHawk
08-02-2007, 12:10 PM
Exactly my thoughts. If Brewster was intersested in buiilding the Gopher program back to some position of success he would work on doing exactly that. Promising a trip to the Rose Bowl in a couple years is total BS.

I am really starting to think the guy has a mental illness. The paragraph below is from a goober fan who supposedly talked to Punky @ the Big 10 conference in Chi. What coach gets "very upset" about where a magazine hack picks you to finish---especially when you have never been a head coach? Also, did Punky have his eyes open @ his own spring game? They were just plain horrible:

2) I didn't speak with him about this next point, but I overheard him talking to somebody from within the program nearby. He is VERY upset at people predicting us to finish last in the Big Ten. He kept saying, "We were a bowl team last year!" "How does that put us last?" and "Our guys are way better than last year." This was encouraging to me, simply because he was saying it to someone from within the program, not just some fan asking. It appeared that he really does believe us to be better than that.

Bison Dan
08-02-2007, 02:00 PM
I am really starting to think the guy has a mental illness. The paragraph below is from a goober fan who supposedly talked to Punky @ the Big 10 conference in Chi. What coach gets "very upset" about where a magazine hack picks you to finish---especially when you have never been a head coach? Also, did Punky have his eyes open @ his own spring game? They were just plain horrible:

2) I didn't speak with him about this next point, but I overheard him talking to somebody from within the program nearby. He is VERY upset at people predicting us to finish last in the Big Ten. He kept saying, "We were a bowl team last year!" "How does that put us last?" and "Our guys are way better than last year." This was encouraging to me, simply because he was saying it to someone from within the program, not just some fan asking. It appeared that he really does believe us to be better than that.

I agree - he's going to be eating alot of crow this year. I also saw the spring game and wow - they looked bad.

Goldy93
08-02-2007, 03:01 PM
I agree - he's going to be eating alot of crow this year. I also saw the spring game and wow - they looked bad.

Well, I saw the spring game and the offense looked horrible, but you have to realize these kids had all of a month to learn a completely new offense and a playbook that is more than twice as large as before. The QB's were completely lost. However, as was reported in the Star Tribune this past Sunday, they have had the last 4-5 months to delve into the playbook and become more comfortable with the spread system. Although they will not be as lost as they were, who knows if they will be good.

As far as OOC games against BCS conferences are usually Home-and-Home. Gophers played Cal last year at Cal and Cal plays at MN in 2009, similar to the OSU-Texas series last year and the year before.

Is Brewster being cocky, arrogant or disrespectful saying he is trying to "improve" the ooc schedule? I do not think so. It all goes to computer rankings and strength of schedule. If NDSU was not on the schedule, but Arkansas State was, Brewster would have made the same comment about Arkansas State. It does not help the Gophers' program at all. We would much rather play and have a loss to Cal, Texas or Nebraska, than a win over Louisiana Lafayette. Similarly, I am sure NDSU would rather play and have a loss to the Gophers, than a win over St. Johns. NDSU has an incredible history, but they just do not have the D1 credentials, yet, which is important on the recruiting trail.

tcbison
08-02-2007, 03:15 PM
Well, I saw the spring game and the offense looked horrible, but you have to realize these kids had all of a month to learn a completely new offense and a playbook that is more than twice as large as before. The QB's were completely lost. However, as was reported in the Star Tribune this past Sunday, they have had the last 4-5 months to delve into the playbook and become more comfortable with the spread system. Although they will not be as lost as they were, who knows if they will be good.

As far as OOC games against BCS conferences are usually Home-and-Home. Gophers played Cal last year at Cal and Cal plays at MN in 2009, similar to the OSU-Texas series last year and the year before.

Is Brewster being cocky, arrogant or disrespectful saying he is trying to "improve" the ooc schedule? I do not think so. It all goes to computer rankings and strength of schedule. If NDSU was not on the schedule, but Arkansas State was, Brewster would have made the same comment about Arkansas State. It does not help the Gophers' program at all. We would much rather play and have a loss to Cal, Texas or Nebraska, than a win over Louisiana Lafayette. Similarly, I am sure NDSU would rather play and have a loss to the Gophers, than a win over St. Johns. NDSU has an incredible history, but they just do not have the D1 credentials, yet, which is important on the recruiting trail.

Keep in mind that if you wouldn't have had the win against NDSU last year you wouldn't have gone to a bowl game. I am sure that has to be in the plans for Minnesota to go to some kind of bowl game. Plus the Big Ten wants to see this as well. I commend Brewster for trying to upgrade the schedule but it is easier said than done. I haven't done the research but I bet about every team in the Big 10 plays a FCS team.

SDbison
08-02-2007, 03:35 PM
Keep in mind that if you wouldn't have had the win against NDSU last year you wouldn't have gone to a bowl game. I am sure that has to be in the plans for Minnesota to go to some kind of bowl game. Plus the Big Ten wants to see this as well. I commend Brewster for trying to upgrade the schedule but it is easier said than done. I haven't done the research but I bet about every team in the Big 10 plays a FCS team.
As it stands now nearly 50% of the FBS teams go to a bowl game. Last I counted there are 28 bowl games which means 56 of the 120 or so teams are represented. What does that say about the quality of the teams in some of the lower tier bowls (like what Minnesota would go to). The FBS is really screwed up.......they have set things up so all established teams in the big conferences should get a bowl bid as long as they finish above .500. BFD!

SDbison
08-02-2007, 03:38 PM

Few if any of the dominant teams in FBS play an out of conference schedule that is 100% top level FBS teams. How does Minnesota think that will make them better?

Hammersmith
08-02-2007, 04:29 PM
<snip>
I haven't done the research but I bet about every team in the Big 10 plays a FCS team.

It's very uncommon for Big Ten teams to play FCS games. I mean, only 8 of 11 are doing it this year.

Illinois..................Western Illinois(Gateway)
Indiana................Indiana State(Gateway)
Iowa...................none [B12(1),BE(1),MAC(2)]
Michigan..............Appalachian State(Southern)
Michigan State......none [C-USA(1),MAC(1),BE(1),ND]
Minnesota............NDSU(GWFC)
Northwestern........Northeastern(CAA)
Ohio State...........Youngstown State(Gateway)
Penn State...........none [MAC(2),SB(1),ND]
Purdue.................Eastern Illinois(Ohio Valley)
Wisconsin.............The Citadel(Southern)

Goldy93
08-02-2007, 06:41 PM
I do not have any ranking of OOC strength of schedules over the last five years for all Big Ten schools, but my guess is that the Gophers would be down near the bottom. I think the point is that if it was not NDSU or FAU on the schedule, but instead Appalacian State, Northeastern, Arkansas State, Louisiana-Lafayette, Brewster would have made the same comment. Time for these teams to go and replace them with BCS conference schools as much as possible. It just so happens that NDSU is on the schedule when Brewster made the comments.

As for making the Gophers better, it helps recruiting. Recruits want to play against other BCS teams. It gets them on national television and they want that exposure.

SDbison
08-02-2007, 06:55 PM
I do not have any ranking of OOC strength of schedules over the last five years for all Big Ten schools, but my guess is that the Gophers would be down near the bottom. I think the point is that if it was not NDSU or FAU on the schedule, but instead Appalacian State, Northeastern, Arkansas State, Louisiana-Lafayette, Brewster would have made the same comment. Time for these teams to go and replace them with BCS conference schools as much as possible. It just so happens that NDSU is on the schedule when Brewster made the comments.

As for making the Gophers better, it helps recruiting. Recruits want to play against other BCS teams. It gets them on national television and they want that exposure.
So Brewster runs his team solely on the wishes of new recruits.....give me a break. Go ahead, schedule all BCS teams and watch the Goofers record drop below .500. If a bunch of very successful FBS teams can schedule a game against an FCS team then what makes the Goofers so special. Yeah, USC, Texas, Michigan, Nebraska and the likes all lose a bunch of recruits each year because they play one FCS team. You Goofer fans are delirious.....:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

WildBill
08-02-2007, 07:02 PM
If Brewster is trying to break away from the cupcake scheduling of the past,it's only logical to say he only wants to play BCS teams. It's not a "slap"at the Bison,he's only doing whats best for the Minnesota program.

Bison Dan
08-02-2007, 07:17 PM
If Brewster is trying to break away from the cupcake scheduling of the past,it's only logical to say he only wants to play BCS teams. It's not a "slap"at the Bison,he's only doing whats best for the Minnesota program.

That "cupcake" scheduling of the past got the Gophers into alot of bowl games. Do you really think that playing in the Big 10 isn't enough for a new recruit and he would say but look at your non conference schedule it sucks? Never happens. Which other non conference team will sell out the dome? (and the big boys aren't coming to the dome) Brewster can trash talk now all he wants but at the end of the year we'll see what he has to say.

Goldy93
08-02-2007, 07:33 PM
That "cupcake" scheduling of the past got the Gophers into alot of bowl games. Do you really think that playing in the Big 10 isn't enough for a new recruit and he would say but look at your non conference schedule it sucks? Never happens. Which other non conference team will sell out the dome? (and the big boys aren't coming to the dome) Brewster can trash talk now all he wants but at the end of the year we'll see what he has to say.

Absolutely false, BisonDan. I subscribe to the recruiting services and read interviews and recruits do comment on the OOC schedule, not just the Gophers but other programs. Some they are impressed with and some they are not, but it is noticed. Again, I guess I have to repeat myself, the OOC games involving other BCS schools are home-and-home, so they will be playing in MN. Finally, a host of BCS teams will sell out the dome (or soon to be TCF stadium). I know the Cal game in 2009 will be sold out. And if you want some other possibilities: Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa State, Texas, Kansas, Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Washington, UCLA, etc., all would sell out the place.

MN_BISON
08-02-2007, 07:51 PM
Absolutely false, BisonDan. I subscribe to the recruiting services and read interviews and recruits do comment on the OOC schedule, not just the Gophers but other programs. Some they are impressed with and some they are not, but it is noticed. Again, I guess I have to repeat myself, the OOC games involving other BCS schools are home-and-home, so they will be playing in MN. Finally, a host of BCS teams will sell out the dome (or soon to be TCF stadium). I know the Cal game in 2009 will be sold out. And if you want some other possibilities: Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa State, Texas, Kansas, Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Washington, UCLA, etc., all would sell out the place.

Not trying to be a prick but do you really think that Nebraska, Texas, Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Washington and UCLA will be playing in MN in the near future on home and home deals? Maybe OSU and that is a pretty big maybe. Now I can see Kansas, ISU, Wyoming, maybe a low to mid level Pac 10 team, but I would be shocked to see any of the above in TCF in a one for one game any time soon. Wow, the Bison have about as good of a chance at landing the Huskers. OK, only kidding there, but damn that is one hell of a list. I guess if you are going to dream, dream big. By the way, if the Bison were to play in TCF in 09, it would be a sell out too.

Bison Dan
08-02-2007, 08:20 PM
Not trying to be a prick but do you really think that Nebraska, Texas, Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Washington and UCLA will be playing in MN in the near future on home and home deals? Maybe OSU and that is a pretty big maybe. Now I can see Kansas, ISU, Wyoming, maybe a low to mid level Pac 10 team, but I would be shocked to see any of the above in TCF in a one for one game any time soon. Wow, the Bison have about as good of a chance at landing the Huskers. OK, only kidding there, but damn that is one hell of a list. I guess if you are going to dream, dream big. By the way, if the Bison were to play in TCF in 09, it would be a sell out too.

Well said - After we beat the Gophers this year we'll probably want a home and home too.

silkamilkamonico
08-02-2007, 08:36 PM
I understand where Brewsater's coming from, but anybody else think that's a big mistake for him to go that route right away?

With all due respect, the Gophers are, at best, an average team in a major conference. I don't believe they will be competing with Wisconsin, Michigan, PSU, and OSU on a yearly basis anytime soon.

The last few years, it has been because of their overall soft OCC schedule is how they have snuck into their coveted bowl game.

With a harder OCC schedule, they will have to most likely win all their Big 10 games that they are equaled too to get that lower end Bowl game.

If Minnesota goes with a tougher schedule sooner rather than later, and the program doesn't get on the right track, they're looking at taking a step back from where they were in the Mason years.

Goldy93
08-02-2007, 08:48 PM

Well, I was responding to BisonDan and scheduling goes pretty far out and I think that is the focus. The U has a home-and-home with Cal, it was at Cal last year and is at Minny in 2009. Other than that, they have one with Washington State 2010 (home) and 2011 (away), Colorado 2012 (away) and 2013 (home) and Oregon State 2014 (home) and 2015 (away). I think Brewster would like at least one more BCS conference caliber school each year for OOC. The U did play Nebraska in the past. So, I do not think it is dreaming, it is fairly realistic.

SiouxHockeyBisonFo
08-02-2007, 11:56 PM

Most big time programs play one and on a rare occassion two big out of conference games. Just a few examples below, but maybe the Brewster thinks he is smarter than all the other coaches and ADs in college football.

Miaimi- Ok, Marshall, Florida Int, TX A&M
Fla St- UAB, Col, Ala, FL
VT- East Car, Ohio, William & Mary
Neb- Nevada, Wake Forest, USC, Ball St
OK- North TX, Miami, Utah St, Tulsa,
TX- Ark St, TCU, UCF, RIce
TX A&M- MT St, Fresno St, Louisana-Mounroe, Miami
Lou- Murray St, Mid Tenn St, Kent, NC St, Utah
WV- West Mich, Marshall, Maryland, East Car, Miss St
Mich- App St, Oregon, ND, East Mich,
Ohio St- Young St, Akron, Wash, Kent St
Iowa- North Ill, Syr, Iowa St, West Mich
Penn St- Fla Int, ND, Buffalo, Templs
Wisc- Wash St, UNLV, Citadel, North Ill
Cal- Tenn, Col St, LA Tech,
Or- Houston, Mich, Fresno St
USC- Idaho, Neb, ND
Ala- West Car, Houston, Lou-Mounroe
Aub- KSt, South Fla, NM St
Fla- West Kent, Troy, Fla Atlant, FL St
Georgia- OK St, West Car, Troy, G Tech
LSU- VT, Mid Tenn St, Tulane, LA Tech
Tenn- Cal, South Miss, Ark St, Lou-Laf

** Nobody plays an all BCS OOC Schedule, Nobody
USC, Florida, Ohio State and Texas what are you thinking, you better start scheduling better competition or you will start losing all your recruits to Brewster.

lakesbison
08-03-2007, 01:12 AM
WHOS GOING TO ST JOHNS on SUNDAY TO SCOUT???

if you park on the West Side up top, you can view through the trees!!

never too early to be stealing plays!!

Goldy93
08-03-2007, 12:54 PM
SiouxHockey, I totally agree that no one plays an all BCS ooc schedule. Some teams play one, some play two BCS schools. However, if Brewster's comments are taken in context when you look at this year's ooc schedule for the Gophers you can see exactly what he is saying. Two MAC teams, FAU and NDSU. Last year they had Cal, but I believe that is the only BCS school they played in ooc (not counting bowl games) over the last 8 years. So, taking Brewster's comments in context, the Gophers need to improve their OOC schedule. They have done so, with at least one BCS ooc game from 2009 through 2015. I guess I get the venom regarding his comments, because he singled out NDSU, but he clearly knows what he is talking about regarding the Gophers ooc schedule over the last 8-10 years.

BTW, I am headed to practice at the end of next week at St. John's and will let you know if the Gophers still look as lost as they did at the spring game on offense.

SiouxHockeyBisonFo
08-03-2007, 06:09 PM
SiouxHockey, I totally agree that no one plays an all BCS ooc schedule. Some teams play one, some play two BCS schools. However, if Brewster's comments are taken in context when you look at this year's ooc schedule for the Gophers you can see exactly what he is saying. Two MAC teams, FAU and NDSU. Last year they had Cal, but I believe that is the only BCS school they played in ooc (not counting bowl games) over the last 8 years. So, taking Brewster's comments in context, the Gophers need to improve their OOC schedule. They have done so, with at least one BCS ooc game from 2009 through 2015. I guess I get the venom regarding his comments, because he singled out NDSU, but he clearly knows what he is talking about regarding the Gophers ooc schedule over the last 8-10 years.

BTW, I am headed to practice at the end of next week at St. John's and will let you know if the Gophers still look as lost as they did at the spring game on offense.

Improving the OOC schedule is a must, but there is no reason that NDSU needs to be taken off the schedule for this to happen. NDSU will sell out the new stadium evertime they play. Even if the Gophers start playing two BCS schools every year, that sill leaves two open games that NDSU could fill. Play another Mid-major school from the MAC, WAC or Conference USA and then fill the last game with a regional school such as NDSU, USD, UND, SDSU, UNI or even the Montana schools to complete the schedule. These games will draw alot more interst from non-gopher fans than any mid-major shool ever will. The point is Brewster is an idiot. My guess is that Maturi understands this and will continue to bring in the small regional schools, if not then the Goophers are in more trouble than I thought.

Bison bison
08-03-2007, 06:12 PM
Maturi understands that Brewster is an idiot or that Minnesota needs to play a FBS school? :p

X-Factor
08-03-2007, 06:40 PM

Your playing two MAC's FAU and NDSU....yet Brewster choses to pick NDSU out of that list as a need to beef up the schedule? Come on!, the truth of the matter is that NDSU will most likely be the toughest OOC game for the Gophers this year. This to me says that Brewster is taking this more personally than anything. If anything, dump that sorry @@@ FAU game for something fans will actually care out. NDSU fills the dome and brings a competitive game. That's money in the bank for UM. Why Brewster would even mention NDSU is beyond my comprehension.

bisondad
08-03-2007, 08:03 PM
The one and only reason Brewster picked out NDSU is that he knows that he may lose this game and catch hell for the rest of the year. if he loses to any FBS team, not nearly as much criticism. I agree that maturi sees the payday in playing at least one regional FC team, and I think that's a great plan. Makes financial sense and gives exposure to the local FCS teams. I wish the U had the balls to schedule NDSU for their opener in the new stadium.............................. That would be quite the baptism by fire for the new stadium. I can always dream.

onbison09
08-03-2007, 09:30 PM
Did FAU sell out the dome? Uh, NO!!! There is more people for the Twins game against the Royals in the 9th then were there at halftime. Texas played SHSU and Rice and you don't hear about recruits talked about not going there because their OOC. The 1st time is saw Punky I thought he liked to hear himself talk. Now my thoughts are confirmed.

Notorious
08-04-2007, 12:35 AM
Brewster has created too much hype and made too many "promises"...he has backed himself into a corner. If he doesn't come out and have a very impressive first season, he will be heavily criticized. Unfortunately for him, the likelihood of having a good season is nearly impossible.

He should just fly below the radar this year and let his team's performance do the talking. Instead of talking about a 3-5 year plan and buying himself adequate time to legitimately build the Gopher program, he has put a tremendous amount of pressure on himself and Maturi with all of his wild talk. He will be gone in 3 years, with a dismal 10-24"ish" record.

If he loses to NDSU this year, he will be hung.

He likes to dream big though...???

My two cents.....

TheDoctor
08-04-2007, 05:53 AM
Lets see...

Michigan
Ohio State
Wisconsin
Penn State

It would be hard for any average team to have a good year with conference games like those. ;)

Goldy93
08-04-2007, 03:11 PM
The one and only reason Brewster picked out NDSU is that he knows that he may lose this game and catch hell for the rest of the year. if he loses to any FBS team, not nearly as much criticism. I agree that maturi sees the payday in playing at least one regional FC team, and I think that's a great plan. Makes financial sense and gives exposure to the local FCS teams. I wish the U had the balls to schedule NDSU for their opener in the new stadium.............................. That would be quite the baptism by fire for the new stadium. I can always dream.

Well, you can speculate all you want about what was in Brewster's mind, as can I. I think the reason he singled out NDSU at the time was the location he was in when he made the comments. He probably would have singled out FAU if he was in Florida. I do not think he went through the list of nonconference games and said to himself "Oh crap, we may lose to NDSU, so I need to get them off the schedule!" As for opening TCF bank stadium, I am very confident that whatever team the Gophers play, the game will be a sell out by MN fans. I do not expect to see too many fans of the opposing team in the stands that day.

Goldy93
08-04-2007, 03:18 PM
Brewster has created too much hype and made too many "promises"...he has backed himself into a corner. If he doesn't come out and have a very impressive first season, he will be heavily criticized. Unfortunately for him, the likelihood of having a good season is nearly impossible.

He should just fly below the radar this year and let his team's performance do the talking. Instead of talking about a 3-5 year plan and buying himself adequate time to legitimately build the Gopher program, he has put a tremendous amount of pressure on himself and Maturi with all of his wild talk. He will be gone in 3 years, with a dismal 10-24"ish" record.

If he loses to NDSU this year, he will be hung.

He likes to dream big though...???

My two cents.....

That is true, he is a big talker. But, some of the commits are saying that he is having a huge impact on them and other teammates. Padric Scott (oral commit), from Lincoln High (Florida) has said on the Gophers message board that Steve "Moose" Robinson, Padric's best friend, loves the enthusiasm of Brewster and has narrowed his choices down to the Gophers and Florida State. He will be coming to the U for a visit and they may also bring TJ Bryant, BJ Daniels, Jabaris Little and Kirkland Gainous with them, because those kids are also interested, despite the fact that some of them have already given and oral to other schools! Say what you want about Brewster, but he has numerous 3, 4 and 5 star recruits interested in the U. That has never happened before. Will they commit? We will see, but it is amazing that they are interested looking at the history of the program.

WildBill
08-04-2007, 04:02 PM

Lets see what team would draw better. A national power like Cal(which is rumored to be the team)or NDSU. Boosters would crucify Maturi if he even thought of scheduling NDSU in the stadium opener

BisonNeil
08-04-2007, 09:28 PM
Lets see what team would draw better. A national power like Cal(which is rumored to be the team)or NDSU. Boosters would crucify Maturi if he even thought of scheduling NDSU in the stadium opener

Who would draw better? Are you kidding me? MN had Penn State at home and you put < 50K in the stadium. About the same number as in games with MI and OSU.

NDSU comes to town and it is like 63K. You can't put a whole lot more people in the dome. Who would draw better??? You really think Cal would be a better draw than conference games with Penn St, MI or Ohio State?

Bisonguy
08-04-2007, 09:57 PM
Who would draw better? Are you kidding me? MN had Penn State at home and you put < 50K in the stadium. About the same number as in games with MI and OSU.

NDSU comes to town and it is like 63K. You can't put a whole lot more people in the dome. Who would draw better??? You really think Cal would be a better draw than conference games with Penn St, MI or Ohio State?

It is possible that Cal could draw better than tOSU, Penn State, or michigan. Cal doesn't have the history of domination over the Gophers. :innocent:

bisondad
08-05-2007, 01:19 AM
Well, you can speculate all you want about what was in Brewster's mind, as can I. I think the reason he singled out NDSU at the time was the location he was in when he made the comments. He probably would have singled out FAU if he was in Florida. I do not think he went through the list of nonconference games and said to himself "Oh crap, we may lose to NDSU, so I need to get them off the schedule!" As for opening TCF bank stadium, I am very confident that whatever team the Gophers play, the game will be a sell out by MN fans. I do not expect to see too many fans of the opposing team in the stands that day.

Goldy;

I think he did look at the NDSU game and say "crap", because, in the Gophers present state, they may actually lose this game. Whether they do or not remains to be seen. But the chance of losing to a FCS team is certainly not what he's looking for. I don't blame him. I wouldn't want that either. If he thought the NDSU game was an easy 3+ touchdown win, and they'd nearly sell out, he'd love the game. The problem with this game is there is no easy victory. Again, if I'm Brewster, I see this as a no win situation. But, I'm a NDSU fan, and my son plays for the team, and we're Minnesotans who were overlooked by Mason for kids from other states, so I, obviously, want to see this game and I am hoping for an NDSU win. Just like you're hoping for a Minnesota win. I think the number of tickets sold for the NDSU vs UofM game last year shows just how many local folks Mason and his staff pissed off. And as close as the game was last year, I think it's safe to say(no pun intended), that Mason was wrong on many of the local kids. I don't blame any Gopher fan for wanting to see their team win, but this is a Bison fan board, and we want to see NDSU win. I'm looking forward to October 20th (my birthday). Since Nate was little (about 5 years old), we went to watch the Gophers play and cheer them on. Now, I could imagine no better birthday present then seeing those same Gophers get beat by his team, NDSU!!

WildBill
08-05-2007, 05:45 AM

Why would they wait until the Big ten schedule to open the stadium? They wouldn't.

tony
08-05-2007, 08:38 AM
Only problem I had with what Coach Brewster said is that he singled out NDSU and the FCS. Heck, do recruits really view NDSU that much differently than MAC, WAC, or Sunbelt teams?

That said, I don't see how you can get mad at Coach Brewster for doing what he thinks is best. Sure, I can disagree with his reasoning, but that doesn't make me angry with him.

SDbison
08-05-2007, 04:00 PM
Goldy;

I think he did look at the NDSU game and say "crap", because, in the Gophers present state, they may actually lose this game. Whether they do or not remains to be seen. But the chance of losing to a FCS team is certainly not what he's looking for. I don't blame him. I wouldn't want that either. If he thought the NDSU game was an easy 3+ touchdown win, and they'd nearly sell out, he'd love the game. The problem with this game is there is no easy victory. Again, if I'm Brewster, I see this as a no win situation. But, I'm a NDSU fan, and my son plays for the team, and we're Minnesotans who were overlooked by Mason for kids from other states, so I, obviously, want to see this game and I am hoping for an NDSU win. Just like you're hoping for a Minnesota win. I think the number of tickets sold for the NDSU vs UofM game last year shows just how many local folks Mason and his staff pissed off. And as close as the game was last year, I think it's safe to say(no pun intended), that Mason was wrong on many of the local kids. I don't blame any Gopher fan for wanting to see their team win, but this is a Bison fan board, and we want to see NDSU win. I'm looking forward to October 20th (my birthday). Since Nate was little (about 5 years old), we went to watch the Gophers play and cheer them on. Now, I could imagine no better birthday present then seeing those same Gophers get beat by his team, NDSU!!
Couldn't agree with you more Bisondad. This whole thing comes back to the desperation of the Gopher football program. The university and its fans all want a quick fix rather than building the program to somewhere near where it once was in the early 1960's. For as long as I can remember the Gophers have focused outside of Minnesota and the Midwest for too many players. This has led to a lack of identity, disappointment on the field and frustration in the stands. As a percentage, there is much more enthusiam from Alumni and fans of NDSU. That is why 20,000 plus Bison fans will find their way to the Metrodome to cheer on their team. There is a tradition of competitiveness and winning that Gopher football has not seen for 4 or 5 decades. Maybe the Gophers could learn a few things from the way NDSU runs their football program. It is more about substance than flash. Just because Minnesota is in the Big Ten does not automatically make them great. Brewster may not be scared of NDSU, but I bet he wishes the Gophers had the integrity and confidence of NDSU. Its just too bad (sarcasm) the Gophers will have to be taken a notch lower when the Bison beat them this year.
Best wishes for a most happy birthday this year Bisondad! I hope to see you at every home game, SDSU and possibly Central Michigan. Not sure if you know, October 20th became my daughter's wedding date due to availability at her dream site for the reception. Even though I can't be at the Minnesota game this year I too will be hoping for an extra special day!

Goldy93
08-05-2007, 06:45 PM
Couldn't agree with you more Bisondad. This whole thing comes back to the desperation of the Gopher football program. The university and its fans all want a quick fix rather than building the program to somewhere near where it once was in the early 1960's. For as long as I can remember the Gophers have focused outside of Minnesota and the Midwest for too many players.

No desperation from the program, just being realistic. We are discussing a schedule that goes out to 2016, so I do not see any desperation in Brewster's comments. As for a "quick fix", how do you think the program should be built slowly? Schedule NDSU, Montana State, Youngstown State and Bowling Green for ooc? That really impresses recruits! Recruit only Minnesota and Midwest kids? We will soon be Indiana if we do that! Brewster is trying to recruit the best players in MN and the Midwest, as well as trying to get talent from all over the country and has already gotten some incredible speed and athletes from FL, TX and CA. I love the idea of a "quick fix" by bringing in Top 25-30 talent.

SDbison
08-05-2007, 07:23 PM
No desperation from the program, just being realistic. We are discussing a schedule that goes out to 2016, so I do not see any desperation in Brewster's comments. As for a "quick fix", how do you think the program should be built slowly? Schedule NDSU, Montana State, Youngstown State and Bowling Green for ooc? That really impresses recruits! Recruit only Minnesota and Midwest kids? We will soon be Indiana if we do that! Brewster is trying to recruit the best players in MN and the Midwest, as well as trying to get talent from all over the country and has already gotten some incredible speed and athletes from FL, TX and CA. I love the idea of a "quick fix" by bringing in Top 25-30 talent.
Your last line is the problem. Not enough local (midwest heroes) on the team. Many of those so called studs from down south bring poor attitudes and trouble to a program. Nothing wrong with a few well suited guys from across the country, but I think U of M focused too much there in the past (my opinion). Also, just because a high school player is not at the top doesn't mean they can't be a great college player. So what Minnesota pride does a Florida player bring? Speed is important, but if we are talking about shaving fractions of seconds, an intelligent kid with desire, great working attitude, and raw skills might be a better choice. As for the schedule crap, you know I was not inferring that Minnesota play all FCS and lower level FBS OOC games. Just be realistic, play all BCS teams and Minnesota never pulls themselves out of the hole. Yeah, that impresses recruits when Minnesota is under .500 and gets demolished by a couple top BCS teams.

CaBisonFan
08-06-2007, 04:48 AM

I agree with you.

When I taught in Minnesota (for 11 years) I became a real Gophers basketball fan, and a casual football fan. I've always felt that playing Southwestern Louisiana Technical Institute-Shreveport (and teams like it) has been a huge mistake. I mean...who really cared...besides SLTI-S? If MN wants the Bison off the schedule...whatever...but it has more appeal than playing a smaller program from another part of the country.

If Brewster doesn't want the game...we'll just move on to games against teams like Iowa, Iowa State, Nebraska, etc. For our fans, the trip to Minneapolis is easy, and it has real regional appeal...a rivalry feel, if you will. Wasn't the SU-MN game the biggest draw last year? Not sure. Thought I read that somewhere. My bet is that it will be over 48,000 this year.

It 'is' a lose-lose for Minnesota. In the eyes of most Gopher fans, they lost big-time last year. The only way for Minnesota to really win is to do the 6 or 7 touchdown victory thing.

If they play USC or a couple of the elite programs, and lose by a touchdown or two, it's not really bad. They've still upped the program. Recruiters can show their prospects that they play major programs...which, to me, would be a plus.

I have a memory of a Nebraska game in the dome that was an embarrassing blowout of major proportions. That didn't sit well either. It's a tough call. Problem is...not too many elite programs would be willing to come to Minnesota. It's not so different than NDSU's problem. It would be a miracle to get a major program to come to Fargo to play...if not impossible.

But now...we have a football conference that has some real guts to it. I don't envy Minnesota being in the Big Ten. Talk about an unlevel recruiting playing field. Geez. All Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan have to do is make some calls to the area coaches and the blue chippers come walking in, in droves.

Peace

BigDeal
08-06-2007, 05:01 AM
I agree with you.

When I taught in Minnesota (for 11 years) I became a real Gophers basketball fan, and a casual football fan. I've always felt that playing Southwestern Louisiana Technical Institute-Shreveport (and teams like it) has been a huge mistake. I mean...who really cared...besides SLTI-S? If MN wants the Bison off the schedule...whatever...but it has more appeal than playing a smaller program from another part of the country.

If Brewster doesn't want the game...we'll just move on to games against teams like Iowa, Iowa State, Nebraska, etc. For our fans, the trip to Minneapolis is easy, and it has real regional appeal...a rivalry feel, if you will. Wasn't the SU-MN game the biggest draw last year? Not sure. Thought I read that somewhere. My bet is that it will be over 48,000 this year.

It 'is' a lose-lose for Minnesota. In the eyes of most Gopher fans, they lost big-time last year. The only way for Minnesota to really win is to do the 6 or 7 touchdown victory thing.

If they play USC or a couple of the elite programs, and lose by a touchdown or two, it's not really bad. They've still upped the program. Recruiters can show their prospects that they play major programs...which, to me, would be a plus.

I have a memory of a Nebraska game in the dome that was an embarrassing blowout of major proportions. That didn't sit well either. It's a tough call. Problem is...not too many elite programs would be willing to come to Minnesota. It's not so different than NDSU's problem. It would be a miracle to get a major program to come to Fargo to play...if not impossible.

But now...we have a football conference that has some real guts to it. I don't envy Minnesota being in the Big Ten. Talk about an unlevel recruiting playing field. Geez. All Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan have to do is make some calls to the area coaches and the blue chippers come walking in, in droves.

Peace

Only Iowa had a bigger turnout than us at 64,140. We had 62,845 - or about 12,000 more than Michigan.

http://bigten.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2006-2007/minn.html

silkamilkamonico
08-06-2007, 05:04 AM

2 or even possibly 3 of those games could equal a desperate losing season for Minnesota, and that isn't going to attract recruits either.

I like the idea that he wants to gear those kind of games, but he throws them on the schedule in the next couple of years, he doesn't have the players to compete with them and Minnesota is all of a sudden looking at possibly 3-9, 4-8 seasons, which is going to significantly derail recruiting.

I think he needs to gradual build up to that, and there should be no reason IMHO why Minnesota can't play NDSU for the next 3-5 years.

Let's be realistic, considering how the game went last year and where Minnesota's program has been the last few years, Minnesota is closer down to NDSU's level then they are competing for a Big 10 championship.

OldBison
08-06-2007, 05:52 PM
Most big time programs play one and on a rare occassion two big out of conference games. Just a few examples below, but maybe the Brewster thinks he is smarter than all the other coaches and ADs in college football.

Miaimi- Ok, Marshall, Florida Int, TX A&M
Fla St- UAB, Col, Ala, FL
VT- East Car, Ohio, William & Mary
Neb- Nevada, Wake Forest, USC, Ball St
OK- North TX, Miami, Utah St, Tulsa,
TX- Ark St, TCU, UCF, RIce
TX A&M- MT St, Fresno St, Louisana-Mounroe, Miami
Lou- Murray St, Mid Tenn St, Kent, NC St, Utah
WV- West Mich, Marshall, Maryland, East Car, Miss St
Mich- App St, Oregon, ND, East Mich,
Ohio St- Young St, Akron, Wash, Kent St
Iowa- North Ill, Syr, Iowa St, West Mich
Penn St- Fla Int, ND, Buffalo, Templs
Wisc- Wash St, UNLV, Citadel, North Ill
Cal- Tenn, Col St, LA Tech,
Or- Houston, Mich, Fresno St
USC- Idaho, Neb, ND
Ala- West Car, Houston, Lou-Mounroe
Aub- KSt, South Fla, NM St
Fla- West Kent, Troy, Fla Atlant, FL St
Georgia- OK St, West Car, Troy, G Tech
LSU- VT, Mid Tenn St, Tulane, LA Tech
Tenn- Cal, South Miss, Ark St, Lou-Laf

** Nobody plays an all BCS OOC Schedule, Nobody
USC, Florida, Ohio State and Texas what are you thinking, you better start scheduling better competition or you will start losing all your recruits to Brewster.

Very well said. Great post!!! The data are the data...

Goldy93
08-06-2007, 06:28 PM
Your forgot to list the Gophers ooc schedule, which is what Brewster was commenting on:

Gophers: Bowling Green, Miami (OH), FAU, NDSU

How many BCS schools on there? 0. The data are the data ....

SiouxHockeyBisonFo
08-06-2007, 07:42 PM
Your forgot to list the Gophers ooc schedule, which is what Brewster was commenting on:

Nobody is trying to suggest that the Gophers shouldnt upgrade their schedule, what everyone is trying to say is that the Gophers would be better off elimanting 1 or 2 of the other teams that you listed. Of the 4 OOC opponents, the Bison will draw by by far and away the best crowd. So why in the hell would you take them off your schedule when you are playing three other non-BCS schools. Seriously, it is like beating your head against the wall. This is common sense.

Your other comment, the only reason he mentioned not playing NDSU when he was in Moorhead, was because he was in the NDSU area. You may be as dumb as Punky. Why would you try to piss off fans of another team and potentialy people that are fans of NDSU and Minn. I know alot of people that are Bison fans, but also Gopher fans becuase they are the closest BCS team. He should be trying to add fans when he is in Fargo/Moorhead not piss off an entire fan base.

SiouxHockeyBisonFo
08-06-2007, 07:44 PM

I didnt forget to list the Gophers. I tried to list the majority of the big time programs and Minn is not in the ball park. There are probably another 10 to 15 programs that I would list before the Gophers.

Goldy93
08-06-2007, 09:20 PM
Nobody is trying to suggest that the Gophers shouldnt upgrade their schedule, what everyone is trying to say is that the Gophers would be better off elimanting 1 or 2 of the other teams that you listed. Of the 4 OOC opponents, the Bison will draw by by far and away the best crowd. So why in the hell would you take them off your schedule when you are playing three other non-BCS schools. Seriously, it is like beating your head against the wall. This is common sense.

Your other comment, the only reason he mentioned not playing NDSU when he was in Moorhead, was because he was in the NDSU area. You may be as dumb as Punky. Why would you try to piss off fans of another team and potentialy people that are fans of NDSU and Minn. I know alot of people that are Bison fans, but also Gopher fans becuase they are the closest BCS team. He should be trying to add fans when he is in Fargo/Moorhead not piss off an entire fan base.

First, Brewster and the fans could care less if the stadium is sold out by the opposing team's fans, if it is because the Gophers fans are so disinterested in the opponent that they don't buy tickets or give theirs up for that game and the other team's fans cram the stadium. This will not be a problem in the on-campus stadium, because the gophers will probably sell it out no matter who the opponent is, but it is an issue at the dump Dome. The athletic department might care, but not the coach or the fans.

Second, I happen to be a lot smarter than you think and the regional response is on target. I did not justify his response, but explained why he made the comment. In addition, I do not see why any coach would be too worried about pissing off the fan base of another school.

X-Factor
08-06-2007, 09:39 PM
First, Brewster and the fans could care less if the stadium is sold out by the opposing team's fans, if it is because the Gophers fans are so disinterested in the opponent that they don't buy tickets or give theirs up for that game and the other team's fans cram the stadium. This will not be a problem in the on-campus stadium, because the gophers will probably sell it out no matter who the opponent is, but it is an issue at the dump Dome. The athletic department might care, but not the coach or the fans.

Second, I happen to be a lot smarter than you think and the regional response is on target. I did not justify his response, but explained why he made the comment. In addition, I do not see why any coach would be too worried about pissing off the fan base of another school.

The guy spelled it out for you plain as day. Some Bison fans are also Gopher fans. Is it really that hard to figure out why saying something like that wouldn't be in UM's best interest?

KC Bison
08-07-2007, 01:45 AM
Goldy93

I grew up in Minnesota and was a Gopher fan (some ways still am). I attended NDSU in the late 70's and have been a Bison fan since that time. Last year may have been the first time that I have ever cheered against the Gophers in football, although my support for the Gophers has been pretty weak for many years.

If my memory serves me correctly, the Gophers were in the top 5 in 1960 and number 1 in 1961. Is it a coincidence that since the Vikings moved to town in 1961 that the Gophers haven't been near the Top 10 since that time? I truly believe the Twin Cities is a city with divided loyalities. The Gophers will never return to the glory years of the 1940's as long as the Vikings are still around. I don't think it matters who is coaching (Lou Holtz might have been the exception) or who gets scheduled.

WildBill
08-08-2007, 06:06 AM
KC,you nailed it. Minneapolis is very much a vikings town. And yes,that hurts the Gophers

Renegade Rambler
08-08-2007, 12:19 PM
The Gophers can only play the games on their schedule. Neither Gopher nor Bison fans can control the schedule, but rather just watch the games and support the teams. I will always support the team and The U. Too much is being made of this though, as each game is only 1/12 or 8.333333333333333% of the season and each game must be taken one at a time Bison and Gopher fans tend to look past opponents which gets them into trouble, as each game must taken one at a time.

The gophers should win 10 games this season, however, this is not looking past anyone, but rather towards the victories. Mason set this team up well, so now

Bison fans are right that we should play teams that sell out the seats, especially while we are in the dump. I bring my family and friends and their friends, plus some of their family. Tickets MUST be SOLD. This is because $$$$ is what it is all about and due to some mishandlings of dismissals, The U has to come up with $5M or MORE in order to not bankrupt the AD Of course Prexy B may just step up and borrow" more money. However, we need to fill the seats.

To whomever said we are rebuilding that is INCORRECT!!! Rebuilding from what? 7 BOWL GAMES?!?! Mason took this program to new heights as he led us out of the Wildnerness years. Don't think so? Were you there? Prexy Moos and the Norwegian Swede killed this program and Mason brought it back, along with almost single handly getting the stadium built. I know this as I was at the State Legislature meetings and saw it. Now Prexy B is trying to kill this program, so we need to play NDSU to get butts in the seats to pay off all of Joel Maturi's DEBT, so I saw play the games on the schedule, but only one at a time!

Bison Dan
08-08-2007, 12:31 PM
The Gophers can only play the games on their schedule. Neither Gopher nor Bison fans can control the schedule, but rather just watch the games and support the teams. I will always support the team and The U. Too much is being made of this though, as each game is only 1/12 or 8.333333333333333% of the season and each game must be taken one at a time Bison and Gopher fans tend to look past opponents which gets them into trouble, as each game must taken one at a time.

The gophers should win 10 games this season, however, this is not looking past anyone, but rather towards the victories. Mason set this team up well, so now

Bison fans are right that we should play teams that sell out the seats, especially while we are in the dump. I bring my family and friends and their friends, plus some of their family. Tickets MUST be SOLD. This is because $$$$ is what it is all about and due to some mishandlings of dismissals, The U has to come up with $5M or MORE in order to not bankrupt the AD Of course Prexy B may just step up and borrow" more money. However, we need to fill the seats.

To whomever said we are rebuilding that is INCORRECT!!! Rebuilding from what? 7 BOWL GAMES?!?! Mason took this program to new heights as he led us out of the Wildnerness years. Don't think so? Were you there? Prexy Moos and the Norwegian Swede killed this program and Mason brought it back, along with almost single handly getting the stadium built. I know this as I was at the State Legislature meetings and saw it. Now Prexy B is trying to kill this program, so we need to play NDSU to get butts in the seats to pay off all of Joel Maturi's DEBT, so I saw play the games on the schedule, but only one at a time!

10 games - I think I'll wager a bet on that one. Sounds like your happy with that state of the MN fb team - okay good for you. See you at the Dome in Oct.

lakesbison
08-08-2007, 01:47 PM
The gophers should win 10 games this season

" PASS THE DO-CHEE on the left hand side"!!!

UN FREAKIN REAL!!

WildBill
08-08-2007, 02:02 PM
The gophers should win 10 games this season

" PASS THE DO-CHEE on the left hand side"!!!

UN FREAKIN REAL!!

No worse than predicting a 24-14 Bison victory.

BisonNeil
08-08-2007, 02:19 PM

I was impressed with Brewster's comments after the first few practices at St. John's. He likes his defense, very speedy and athletic. Although I didn't make any predictions, I do think the Goophers (not misspelled) will be better than we average Bison fans think they will be. However, I think we have a chance to keep it exciting and a bit uncomfortable for rabid NoBohl fans. We have potential to be good also, assuming we stay healthy.

Make sure you wear clean underwear Nobohl, preferably colored. Squirming in your seat may cause unsightly streaks...

WildBill
08-08-2007, 02:31 PM
I was impressed with Brewster's comments after the first few practices at St. John's. He likes his defense, very speedy and athletic. Although I didn't make any predictions, I do think the Goophers (not misspelled) will be better than we average Bison fans think they will be. However, I think we have a chance to keep it exciting and a bit uncomfortable for rabid NoBohl fans. We have potential to be good also, assuming we stay healthy.

Make sure you wear clean underwear Nobohl, preferably colored. Squirming in your seat may cause unsightly streaks...

I'm not worried at all. Prepared to be disapointed from your end,however

SDbison
08-08-2007, 02:35 PM
Thats my prediction and I stand by it. It is based on last years game, where NDSU is now and where Minnesota is now.

Goldy93
08-08-2007, 02:55 PM
I see no way the Gophers have 10 wins, because of the loses of key people and the injury question. Injuries are a part of the game, but you never know who or how severe. If the Gophers starting QB, RB, SS and CB go down with injuries for an extended period of time it will be a loooonnnnngggg season. I am sure the Bison would also have the same issues if they suffered injuries to key people. Even without the injuries, 8 wins is probably more realistic as what they could achieve if everything falls into place.

They will be a different team. They are much, much stronger and better conditioned. They only had 4 players who could power clean 300 pounds at the beginning of summer. They now have 39 players who can power clean 300 pounds and 2 that can do 350 pounds. The photos and videos of the team are incredible. They look completely different physically: less body fat, more lean muscle mass. I think it will make a huge difference in the hurt they put on other teams.

If both teams make it to Oct. 20 without suffering injuries to key players, I think the game goes to the Gophers 31-17. If there are injuries, who knows.

SDbison
08-08-2007, 04:23 PM
I see no way the Gophers have 10 wins, because of the loses of key people and the injury question. Injuries are a part of the game, but you never know who or how severe. If the Gophers starting QB, RB, SS and CB go down with injuries for an extended period of time it will be a loooonnnnngggg season. I am sure the Bison would also have the same issues if they suffered injuries to key people. Even without the injuries, 8 wins is probably more realistic as what they could achieve if everything falls into place.

They will be a different team. They are much, much stronger and better conditioned. They only had 4 players who could power clean 300 pounds at the beginning of summer. They now have 39 players who can power clean 300 pounds and 2 that can do 350 pounds. The photos and videos of the team are incredible. They look completely different physically: less body fat, more lean muscle mass. I think it will make a huge difference in the hurt they put on other teams.

If both teams make it to Oct. 20 without suffering injuries to key players, I think the game goes to the Gophers 31-17. If there are injuries, who knows.
Good post Goldy. I only disagree with your prediction about the score, but what the heck, we are just fans. I think it will be a great game. NDSU is an excellent FCS team and can probably compete well with all but the top 25 percent of FBS teams. I hope both teams are healthy on October 20 and both play their best game (although that could tilt the outcome in favor of Minnesota). Even if it is not a rivalry game, this game will be watched closely in the upper Midwest.

PantherHawk
08-08-2007, 09:55 PM
http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=699203

KC Bison
08-09-2007, 01:21 AM
I appreciate Goldy93's refreshing honesty and civil tone. I'm beginning to think that the Bison's toughest game this year with be with Central Michigan rather than Minnesota. I know we could win or lose both games but I think our best shot at a win is against the Gophers. I have seen nothing so far to indicate the Brewster is anything more than a revamped Jim Wacker (full of enthusiasm but short of substance). There's a huge question why no one ever hired him even as a coordinator. much less a head coach.